Someone is selling Wesnoth on eBay

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: [URGENT] Someone is selling your GAME on eBay

Post by zookeeper »

powershot wrote:Why would someone buy it on ebay if they can get it for free right here?
Naturally because they don't know they can get it for free right here.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Adding a note "you can get it here" is not allowed if you're charging for the binaries, only when you redistribute free of charge.
Valid options:
-Accompanying the binaries with the sources.
-Written offer, valid for at least 3 years to get the sources for at most the cost of distribution.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

The to-bid conman wrote:Please check my feedback record and comments to see
PROOF that I'm a reliable seller you can count on!
:roll:

And he's selling Tuxpaint (wow.), MegaGlest and practically all other free things :annoyed:
Someone should put in his negative feedback "You can get all this stuff for FREE!" and then maybe provide links :lol2:
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

powershot wrote:Why would someone buy it on ebay if they can get it for free right here?
I think eBay is a little bit more popular than wesnoth.org. The seller obviously isn't doing much to advertise our site either, haha.

I think it's hilarious people are going to buy this. There's something to be said for people who sell you something you can get for free.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Hulavuta wrote:There's something to be said for people who sell you something you can get for free.
Yeah, and that's that those people have no honor. Sure, there may nothing legally wrong with selling FOSS software if the project's original license allows it. But just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
powershot

Post by powershot »

artisticdude wrote:
Hulavuta wrote:There's something to be said for people who sell you something you can get for free.
Yeah, and that's that those people have no honor. Sure, there may nothing legally wrong with selling FOSS software if the project's original license allows it. But just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
QFT
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

artisticdude wrote:Also, this guy isn't the only one selling Wesnoth on eBay. So yeah. Plenty of losers out there who have no qualms about selling other people's hard work, just because they can. Shame on them.
I haven't read the ebay auction the OP was referring to (because it is not available any more) but at least this offer is a valid target for legal action:
Copyright

This item is copyrighted. Any reproduction, duplication or resale of this CD-ROM is prohibited.
Claiming the copyright for Wesnoth is definitely not legal.

On the other side, distributions like SUSE or Redhat aren't doing much different.
They sell a collection of GPL (and other licensed) applications and charge for the support/manual/medium.

The seller is offering support for Wesnoth so he is providing some extra value.
But I wouldn't bet that he isn't using the forum and letting the developers do the work if any of his customers does have a support issue.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

artisticdude wrote:
Well I was going to say it's kind of clever but I agree it's pretty scummy.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Lukeaxx

Post by Lukeaxx »

What people will do for a quick bit of money always astounds me.

I'm an unemployed student, who doesn't live with his parents, scraping by on what little income I can gather, but I still wouldn't dream of doing something like this. It may be legal but it just feels so wrong...
There is no point focusing on the past, as that does not exist anymore. There is equally no point focusing on the future, as that doesn't exist yet either. What is important is what exists now, the present.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

I'm not proposing to defend this particular incompetent, but there is a genuine demand for the kind of service this guy is doing so badly, and you can earn money from it with a clear conscience if you do it well. To do so, you need to provide the compiled game for whatever platforms you're serving and you need to provide the source code as per the GPL. You need to provide descriptions of the material you're providing, and you need to be sure you actually provide current stable versions rather than a random collection of archaeological curiosities. You also need to avoid making false copyright claims. Providing a couple of older versions for reasons of backwards compatibility is fine. Doing that is a service. Doing it well is good service, and people are willing to pay for it. Unfortunately even if you do it well, you'll constantly be surrounded by a sea of chancers like this guy.

I wouldn't mind paying as much as a tenner, maybe even twenty quid for a well-chosen collection of GPL software, professionally packaged and presented.

You know what I'm tempted to do? Get hold of his software collections, collect updated versions of all the old cruft he's selling, repackage it with the source code as per the GPL, and without the misspellings and sleazy legal claims, and start selling that at either 80% of what he charges or whatever the fair going rate is, whichever is less. But it would have to be exactly the same software list as he's offering just to wind the bugger up.

powershot

Post by powershot »

That would be nice. Making money and nabbing this guy. Nice.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
juderiverman

Post by juderiverman »

Simons Mith wrote:I'm not proposing to defend this particular incompetent, but there is a genuine demand for the kind of service this guy is doing so badly, and you can earn money from it with a clear conscience if you do it well. To do so, you need to provide the compiled game for whatever platforms you're serving and you need to provide the source code as per the GPL. You need to provide descriptions of the material you're providing, and you need to be sure you actually provide current stable versions rather than a random collection of archaeological curiosities. You also need to avoid making false copyright claims. Providing a couple of older versions for reasons of backwards compatibility is fine. Doing that is a service. Doing it well is good service, and people are willing to pay for it. Unfortunately even if you do it well, you'll constantly be surrounded by a sea of chancers like this guy.

I wouldn't mind paying as much as a tenner, maybe even twenty quid for a well-chosen collection of GPL software, professionally packaged and presented.

You know what I'm tempted to do? Get hold of his software collections, collect updated versions of all the old cruft he's selling, repackage it with the source code as per the GPL, and without the misspellings and sleazy legal claims, and start selling that at either 80% of what he charges or whatever the fair going rate is, whichever is less. But it would have to be exactly the same software list as he's offering just to wind the bugger up.
Go for it.
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

zookeeper wrote:
Naturally because they don't know they can get it for free right here.
True, but as disgusting as it is, on the other end of the spectrum, if someone is too stupid to make a simple "free PC games" or "free Mac games" search on Google, they deserve to be robbed of their money... as the old adage says; "A fool and his money are easily departed"...
Boldek

Re: Someone is selling Wesnoth on eBay

Post by Boldek »

I agree. If they can't even google 'tuxpaint' or somehow not suspect something when they buy a game called 'freeciv' then I wouldn't waste the effort. A comment on his product should do the trick, if they even check the comments.
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Kalajel wrote:True, but as disgusting as it is, on the other end of the spectrum, if someone is too stupid to make a simple "free PC games" or "free Mac games" search on Google, they deserve to be robbed of their money... as the old adage says; "A fool and his money are easily departed"...
I strongly disagree there.
Most people who don't have the education/knowledge/intelligence and thus get fooled easily are also poor as well.

Taking money from the poor by tricking them is just antisocial,
and no, a stupid person don't deserves to be mistreated.