iPhone/iPad Support Thread [KylePoole’s port]

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Development Team
Battle for Wesnoth

iPhone/iPad Support Thread [KylePoole’s port]

Post by Development Team »

NOTE: (2013-05-14)

This iOS port is no longer being maintained, and it is not available in the app store anymore. This thread is kept for historical purposes only. The information in here may not apply to the current iOS port.

Old OP contents
This thread is for getting support/reporting bugs with the previous iPhone/iPad ports of Battle for Wesnoth developed and maintained by KylePoole. Please do not post congratulations, thank yous, or general chatter. We appreciate all of your feedback, but we don’t want the thread to get inflated. This is very specifically for support. If everyone is having random discussions, or popping in to thank us for the game, then nobody can find the help that they need.

Past Threads
Here are links to past threads like this one. They all got out of control, but you may still be able to get some help from their posts:

Source Repo (possibly outdated)
http://wesnoth.repositoryhosting.com/sv ... h_wesnoth/

Getting Help
When asking for help here please provide the following information:
  1. iPhone or iPad?
  2. Model of your device
  3. Complete description of problem you’re having.

Frequently Encountered Problems
I can’t do multiplayer between my iOS device and my computer. — The iOS ports are based on Wesnoth version 1.6. You have to use that version on your computer.

My synced saves don’t work. — Again, the iOS ports are based on Wesnoth 1.6. You have to use that version on your computer.

Will there be an update soon? — Unfortunately Kyle Poole has been out of touch with us for a while. He appears to have moved on to other projects. Nobody in our development team is an experienced iOS developer. Also the code of the port was not made to be easily maintained. The entire thing would essentially have to be redone.
If there are other existing problems that have solutions, but are not listed above, please contact the Forum Moderators group.
Last edited by Iris on May 14th, 2013, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great_Mage_Atari

Re: iPhone/iPad Support Thread

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Waiting for this thread for a while!

My iTouch: 4th Generation, 32 GB, iOS 5, not too full of apps.
My Problems:
1) When playing this game, certain tiles next to others (i.e. Deep water next to ice) sometimes makes an entire hex appear, instead of the two blending into a smooth transition. Is this just something normal?
2) Game crashes sometimes. Though not frequent in the least, it is still annoying. Any way to prevent this?
3) Controls are a bit sticky. When I want to move the screen it can be a bit tedious. Sometimes just the slightest slip-up can move your unit somewhere where you don't want it. Any way to avoid this?

I may have some more eventually, but I haven't gotten that in-depth yet to where I am experiencing more.
plamentg

Post by plamentg »

Device: ipad2 3g 64gb ios 4.3.3jb
Question: Is it possible to add campaigns to the campaign folder? As far as I know some campaigns require later versions of bfw and other require certain eras. Are there any other issues like "it's not allowed to add anything to bfw for ios" or one can somehow insert a campaign that is compatible with the ios version of bfw?
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

plamentg wrote:Device: ipad2 3g 64gb ios 4.3.3jb
Question: Is it possible to add campaigns to the campaign folder? As far as I know some campaigns require later versions of bfw and other require certain eras. Are there any other issues like "it's not allowed to add anything to bfw for ios" or one can somehow insert a campaign that is compatible with the ios version of bfw?
It is possible, but difficult. The WML must be preprocessed and the images have to be compressed. Then you have to make sure all the files are in the right directory structure to be put into data/core/ because there is no add-ons folder.

For the WML you use start Wesnoth from the command line with the --preprocess switch. (See wesnoth --help for more details).

I forget the specifics of the images. If it was merely a disk-space saving measure then it might not be necessary.
sorer

Re: [split] Does Wesnoth still get revenues from iOS sales?

Post by sorer »

I found a bug. I cant upload my saves when i scroll down in save dialog. Only few first saves can be saved, but when i scroll down i cant save anyone.
Last edited by Elvish_Hunter on November 30th, 2011, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved post to the correct topic
Magical_Noob

Post by Magical_Noob »

The buttons on the menu pages seems to be way too small on the ipad2, and on the page where u create a new game; the page itself is too zoomed out and is shifted to the left hand side with about an inch and a half of emptiness on the right hand side. And while inside a game you don't seem to be able to zoom in and out.

Edit: oops looks like I posted on the wrong thread, someone move this to the right one plz :S
Last edited by Magical_Noob on December 11th, 2011, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

I am a bit confused on the point of this thread. If there is no work being done on this and nobody able to create a new iOS game, why even post internal problems?
monokli

Post by monokli »

Iphone 4

Changed campaign scenario cfg files on device, changes dont take effect, even after system reboot.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

monokli wrote:Iphone 4
Changed campaign scenario cfg files on device, changes dont take effect, even after system reboot.
Sounds like the iPhone version of the game is not rebuilding its cache in order to save time. If you've got keys, try hitting F5 from the main menu. Though maybe 1.6 didn't have that feature...
monokli

Post by monokli »

No keys, [censored] device design.

It doesn't even realize that the campaigns in the userdata (applications/c08...theappcodeofthegame/documents/wesnoth1.6/data) exist until I try to launch a skirmish (ie launch a skirmish menu)

I tried to make a dupe campaign then, named: the south guard_B in said userdata folder.
But it won't even load the first scenario. How can I activate debug mode on a phone anyway?
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

monokli wrote:No keys, [censored] device design.

It doesn't even realize that the campaigns in the userdata (applications/c08...theappcodeofthegame/documents/wesnoth1.6/data) exist until I try to launch a skirmish (ie launch a skirmish menu)

I tried to make a dupe campaign then, named: the south guard_B in said userdata folder.
But it won't even load the first scenario. How can I activate debug mode on a phone anyway?
Modifying the data won't help you with the iOS port at all. Parsing for changes in the files was deactivated to reduce startup times. You'll have to create the new cache on your desktop/laptop with identically changed files and place the correct cache files where the iOS port has its cache files.
monokli

Post by monokli »

Oh crp.

A few more questions: Can I make the cache files on a windows machine?

And what about making an edited duplicate in the iphone's userdata/campaigns folder? What can be the problem if the progress bar stays at zero?

I essentially copied the south guard folder to userdata/campaigns, added a "_B" to it, changed main.cfg and some of the scenario config files. I think I made quite a through summary in the campaign development thread. Should I post the file contents in code tags here?
bp_josh

Post by bp_josh »

iPhone 4s.

The game crashes constantly, and usually fails to load properly the first attempt after a crash. Nearly every review I saw told me this would happen, however I assumed there would be an update since the 4s was still new. Don't you guys think you should maybe state that the game is as-is and won't be fixed/updated? I probably wouldn't have spent $4 on the game if I knew it was abandoned for ios.

Also, playing Heir to the Throne, after the Bay of Pearls Delfador just disappears, along with other heros randomly, and I can't get them back. Their dialog is skipped in the story screens. I've tried re-finishing Bay of Pearls but it doesn't fix it. Looking through the forums I guess this is an old issue that was fixed in the non-ios versions?

Love the game but wish it was functional and still supported for ios!
monokli

Post by monokli »

Uhh. Tough luck. Unless you have a mac and can compile this whole thing yourself, I suggest you to jailbreak the device, install iFile's free version (insanely useful file manager/text editor/pdf viewer/image viewer), install installous (google it), and install one of the pre-built versions there (those are free but sometimes take muuch time to download before installation.)

You should have the 1.6.3 version then. it hadn't had any problems as far as I have played it: The South Guard, Ooze Awakening, HttT missions 1-22, and a couple of multiplayer (hotphone) compstomps with my brother.
Eric_the_Bold

Can I move from playing campaign on iPad to PC?

Post by Eric_the_Bold »

iPad 1, 16 GB

I've been playing the iPad version for about a year, unaware that it wasn't being updated. I'm playing Northern Rebirth Showdown on hard, and I'm now consistently crashing after I end Turn 4 and after about 5 minutes of AI movement (seems to crash when getting back to Tallin's side of the board. I've tried several times from scenario start, rebooting my iPad etc. I'm stuck.

I would really like to finish this last scenario, without having to replay all the rest of the scenarios in the campaign, it's taken a while...

Does anyone know how to get my data from the iPad onto my Mac laptop?

Best, Eric