Android port coming soon...

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Android port coming soon...

Post by Gambit »

Darnael wrote:But we should keep in mind that other hundreds of developers sacrificed their time and effort in creating this project. Why we should pay only to one individual? And what of the others? by the way, In my opinion, saying "$4 thank you" should not be a compulsory procedure.
Oh hi there misinformation.

Why don't we let the other developers speak for themselves if they have a problem with the port (which they don't). They're big boys and girls (except the dwarvish ones of course). They don't need us to stand up for them. They have their own places to discuss this with each other.

Hence the posting guideline that states we users don't have legal discussions on the public forum.
Also, I don't believe that they will get updates in that case. I expect that the updates alone will be worth the couple dollars.
Not having to redownload the entire app every update is totally worth it. I wish the other platforms had this.
targetbsp

Post by targetbsp »

Hi guys,
I signed up just to congratulate you on this port. It's fantastic! You've clearly put a lot of effort into making sure the interface makes sense on a phone.
I've played a few disappointing ports of other games which are basically just emulators for the original game - just to get the thing working without playing to the strengths and weaknesses of a small touchscreen - like tiny text size. That's not the case here though. I played about 3 moves of the free version before realising you'd done it properly and buying the full one!
Gisyion

Post by Gisyion »

Only for armv7? :(
targetbsp

Post by targetbsp »

Works on my ZTE Blade which is ARMv6+VFP
Gisyion

Post by Gisyion »

Market says it is not compatible with my device (x8, Android 2.3.5).
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

If you're saying you can't download it, by googling "battle for wesnoth apk".
But, if you do download it from one of those links, you won't be supporting.
Timshel
targetbsp

Post by targetbsp »

The Android market automagically doesn't let you download apps that won't work on your phone. The usual block being preventing ARMv7 apps being downloaded for ARMv6 phones.
AS I said though, it's fine on my ARMv6+VFP. No idea if it needs the VFP, whether the market can differentiate between that and an ordinary ARMv6 and whether the X8 has one.

Not sure whether the market can restrict on other hardware? Like requiring a higher res screen or something? Again, I don't even know if the game requires that.
Gisyion

Post by Gisyion »

I tried searching the apk on google and installing, at the moment it's running and extracting data. Perhaps market automatically marks x8 as not compatible because the lastest official OS for that phone is Android 2.1?
targetbsp

Post by targetbsp »

Mine's also latest official 2.1 and actually running 2.3.5.
cjhopman
Inactive Developer

Post by cjhopman »

Gisyion wrote:Market says it is not compatible with my device (x8, Android 2.3.5).
This is due to the x8's display resolution.
Gisyion

Post by Gisyion »

It crashes. Not enough RAM I guess. And there is no swap module for x8 right now :( .
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

So, this is great news. I noticed multiplayer won't be available until October. When it does come out, I was wondering if it will be compatible with Windows PCs? This would be incredible, and the ONLY thing that would motivate me to actually spend the $3.99 on it.

As a side note, could this thread be stickied? Or perhaps a new thread dedicated to the Android port started and stickied?
Interloper

Post by Interloper »

Lay awake in bed last night playing through the tutorials and had a great time. Controls were fluid, graphics really popped on my tiny screen, fonts were clear and easy to read... fantastic. Thanks again to cjhopman for making this port work and worth the cost of entry ten times over.

For the record, my phone is an Huawei Ideos X5.

Looking forward to the continued development of the game, but even in its current form it's still the best strategy game available on the android market by far. :D :D :D
Xelasarg

Post by Xelasarg »

Darnael wrote:Hey, Lads!

According to GNU GPL, we dont have to pay for playing the game. Mr. Developer has rigth to ask a fee only for distribution. We are free to use, copy, modify it. In other words, someone who has already got a paid copy can redistribute it on this forum that everyone can download it.

"With free software, users don't have to pay the distribution fee in order to use the software. They can copy the program from a friend who has a copy, or with the help of a friend who has network access. Or several users can join together, split the price of one CD-ROM, then each in turn can install the software. A high CD-ROM price is not a major obstacle when the software is free."
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

Another thing is that Andorid port license is not certain. It MUST have a copy of a licence. Else its a violation of GNU GPL. I have not seen a trace of licence in a free version. Sorry if I am mistaken.
The dev intended to make it a paid app, otherwise he wouldn't have coded it at all. So if you have a major problem with him taking money for the port (man, it's 2,76 EUR, that's only one beer!), don't buy it. But take the consequences like a man and don't play it either, but sit down and code a free port yourself instead.

Seriously... what's wrong with spending such a ridiculously low sum on such a great piece of software!?
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »