Android port coming soon...

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

allefant
Units Database Administrator

Re: Android port coming soon...

Post by allefant »

I just get a fullscreen Wesnoth logo and it's sitting there for 15 minutes downloading things (about 70MB so far)... how much data will it download? I may hit my monthly quota so will have to continue at home over wireless I guess :P

[Edit:] Ok, so if anyone else is wondering, it will download about 200MB in addition to the claimed 11MB before starting.

I assume there was some reason for doing it that way? A limit on the size of Android apps maybe? Otherwise I'd have much preferred it to download the full game in the market place since it means I see the full size and not "11MB", and also get the standard download bars and know how long it takes. As it is the "11MB" tag caused me to buy it without wireless and then having to wait for an hour and using up my mobile quota.

Also means the 15-minute refund period is long up before the game has even started... which on the other hand may be a clever idea :)
Interloper

Post by Interloper »

Installed on my phone, can't wait to try it out. Thanks for your efforts. :D
cjhopman
Inactive Developer

Post by cjhopman »

allefant wrote:I just get a fullscreen Wesnoth logo and it's sitting there for 15 minutes downloading things (about 70MB so far)... how much data will it download?

I assume there was some reason for doing it that way?
Max wrote:great.

why is the full version smaller than the free one? (11mb/28mb)?
Ok, so the deal here is that the Android market limits apps to 50MB and some phones further limit this to ~30MB (they do this silently, that is they will attempt to download larger apps and just fail at 30MB). There is essentially no way that the full version can fit in this limit. I was able to strip down the requirements on the tutorial to actually fit within 30MB and so the free version doesn't have to download anything. The full version however does download an additional ~200MB served from Amazon S3. I've added a note at the top of the description to make this more clear and I will be sending out an update soon to give a welcome message on first startup to better explain it.
Tuxpp

Post by Tuxpp »

So, is there any way to buy it not in the Android Market, which doesn't support my credit card ?
allefant

Post by allefant »

So, is there any way to buy it not in the Android Market, which doesn't support my credit card ?
Well, nothing prevents anyone from compiling it and putting it to another store (or just sending to you). I wouldn't know how much work that is and which percentage those other stores take, but google suggests there's currently a lot of alternate stores (e.g. SlideMe) who have more payment methods than Google has right now.
cjhopman
Inactive Developer

Post by cjhopman »

Tuxpp wrote:So, is there any way to buy it not in the Android Market, which doesn't support my credit card ?
Hm, do you know if SlideMe would work for you? Is there another market alternative that you prefer?
Tuxpp

Post by Tuxpp »

I found wesnoth on Appbrain, but i don't know how it works...
greis09

Post by greis09 »

There are some other way besides Market to buy? Because the game is not available to Brasil.
Or, better yet, is there some way to make the game available to Brasil? I know that there are a lot o potential buyers in here.

EDIT: The game is available to Brasil, I couldn't find on my phone because it is not compatible, but when I get home I will buy it on my Xoom.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Will the source be made available for jailbreakers or whatever?
allefant

Post by allefant »

Played on the train while going home (and nearly missed my stop). So far I'm very impressed - everything worked as it should. The BACK button even works as undo :) And I have battle statistics and enemy moves and units overview and everything (for some reason I expected things to be missing... probably because the iphone version does). Also the battery wasn't drained more than from reading a PDF as I usually do. Guess the days of boredom in the train are finally past for me :D
pbunbun

Post by pbunbun »

Just bought it now, from screenshots it looks awesome, waiting for it to download all the data files now.
My first piece of criticism would be a progress bar on this download (or at least a "Downloading file X of Y"), but I suppose if it's just something that happens once per download it should be fine :).
Tuxpp

Post by Tuxpp »

How many space does it need ? Because i had 400MB free and it seems it's not enough...
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

cjhopman wrote: Ok, so the deal here is that the Android market limits apps to 50MB and some phones further limit this to ~30MB (they do this silently, that is they will attempt to download larger apps and just fail at 30MB). There is essentially no way that the full version can fit in this limit. I was able to strip down the requirements on the tutorial to actually fit within 30MB and so the free version doesn't have to download anything. The full version however does download an additional ~200MB served from Amazon S3. I've added a note at the top of the description to make this more clear and I will be sending out an update soon to give a welcome message on first startup to better explain it.

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Tuxpp

Post by Tuxpp »

Yes, i knew it but with a bit less than 400 MB it keeps saying it's not enough...
So, does it takes more space when installing than after (because it removes the downloaded .tar files ?)
allefant

Post by allefant »

For what it's worth, I have 188.7 MiB in Android/data/com.androthsoft.battle and 26.0 MiB in Applications/Wesnoth, according to DiskUsage.