Android port coming soon...

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Android port coming soon...

Post by Gambit »

Also, addons?
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

Ahh, I hope this works on my brother's G1. Please...
Timshel
pbunbun

Post by pbunbun »

Actually, out of interest, is this actually a Java port (I assume not) or is it running natively on Android devices?
Morario84

Post by Morario84 »

So I can't find a way to do a quick skirmish.. is it only campaign so far?
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

Man, it doesn't work. The thing is even rooted!
Timshel
anjilslaire

Post by anjilslaire »

Installed the trial on my DX, looks good. Can't wait to run through it and purchase later. Good stuff!
Need more useless stuff to read on teh internetz?
http://anjilslaire.wordpress.com/
Darnael

Post by Darnael »

Hey, Lads!

According to GNU GPL, we dont have to pay for playing the game. Mr. Developer has rigth to ask a fee only for distribution. We are free to use, copy, modify it. In other words, someone who has already got a paid copy can redistribute it on this forum that everyone can download it.

"With free software, users don't have to pay the distribution fee in order to use the software. They can copy the program from a friend who has a copy, or with the help of a friend who has network access. Or several users can join together, split the price of one CD-ROM, then each in turn can install the software. A high CD-ROM price is not a major obstacle when the software is free."
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

Another thing is that Andorid port license is not certain. It MUST have a copy of a licence. Else its a violation of GNU GPL. I have not seen a trace of licence in a free version. Sorry if I am mistaken.
anjilslaire

Post by anjilslaire »

Lets not forget that it is nice to support developers who create such nice toys, however.
Need more useless stuff to read on teh internetz?
http://anjilslaire.wordpress.com/
bonikowsky

Post by bonikowsky »

Darnael wrote:Hey, Lads!

According to GNU GPL, we dont have to pay for playing the game. Mr. Developer has rigth to ask a fee only for distribution. We are free to use, copy, modify it. In other words, someone who has already got a paid copy can redistribute it on this forum that everyone can download it.

"With free software, users don't have to pay the distribution fee in order to use the software. They can copy the program from a friend who has a copy, or with the help of a friend who has network access. Or several users can join together, split the price of one CD-ROM, then each in turn can install the software. A high CD-ROM price is not a major obstacle when the software is free."

Another thing is that Andorid port license is not certain. It MUST have a copy of a licence. Else its a violation of GNU GPL. I have not seen a trace of licence in a free version. Sorry if I am mistaken.
Be that as it may, (I don't know how licensing and all that works, though this makes sense), just remember all the work invovled in porting this to Android. I, along with many others, have been waiting for a long time to see it happen. So the $4 for the Market version would probly be a good way of saying thank you to Mr. Developer.
pbunbun

Post by pbunbun »

They can, but I imagine most people here don't have a problem paying it, there was clearly a lot of effort involved in the port, and anything I can do to make sure the developer is happy to work on it and not too hungry to code is fine by me :).
Also the developer pretty much hinted at this himself early in the thread when he suggested someone could re-upload it elsewhere for those who can't pay.
I've installed it and can confirm that a copy of the GPL is installed with it (specifically in the /sdcard/Android/data/com.androthsoft.battle/data folder on my phone).
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

I'd just like to slap up a link to Posting Guideline 4c before random people go starting legal flamewars.
Darnael

Post by Darnael »

bonikowsky wrote:

Be that as it may, (I don't know how licensing and all that works, though this makes sense), just remember all the work invovled in porting this to Android. I, along with many others, have been waiting for a long time to see it happen. So the $4 for the Market version would probly be a good way of saying thank you to Mr. Developer.
Yeah, you a right. Its hell of a work to create a working port. Mr. Developer surely deserves some credit. But we should keep in mind that other hundreds of developers sacrificed their time and effort in creating this project. Why we should pay only to one individual? And what of the others? by the way, In my opinion, saying "$4 thank you" should not be a compulsory procedure. Everyone can donate if he/she wishes to :)
Its not that I cant afford to pay a small fee. I just wish that free software will be really free. If someone is porting (in other words modifying) a free project released under a GNU GPL, he cant expect to monopolize it. 8) I really mean no offense, I just want to notify all of you that you dont have to pay and still use / obtain this app free of charge. :eng:
This is my last post, I really have no wish to start a flamewar :) Thats all I have on my heart. ^_^
cjhopman
Inactive Developer

Post by cjhopman »

According to GNU GPL, we dont have to pay for playing the game. Mr. Developer has rigth to ask a fee only for distribution. We are free to use, copy, modify it.
That is only sort of correct. For example, there could be a charge to connect to the MP server and that would be fine, in fact, there is not even a requirement for the MP server in that case to be released under the GPL. That doesn't really apply to this case and anybody with the .apk is free to distribute it all they want and, unlike iOS, it is ridiculously easy to sideload .apks on almost any phone. They will also need to distribute the data files themselves as the license is checked before the files are served from S3.
The license is available with the data files (this location changes from phone to phone), look for COPYING.txt.
Morario84 wrote:So I can't find a way to do a quick skirmish.. is it only campaign so far?
Yes. There should be a message that pops up when you hit 'multiplayer'. If there isn't that's a problem, but essentially MP is currently in testing and should be released in October at the latest.
pbunbun wrote:Actually, out of interest, is this actually a Java port (I assume not) or is it running natively on Android devices?
This is not a java port. It has a smallish java layer running on top of the native c++. Doing it without the java layer would require Android 2.3+ and that is too restrictive.
Gambit wrote:Also, addons?
Support for addons is on the list of things that I'd like to have, but I don't have an estimate of when it will be available.
pbunbun wrote:Just bought it now, from screenshots it looks awesome, waiting for it to download all the data files now.
My first piece of criticism would be a progress bar on this download (or at least a "Downloading file X of Y"), but I suppose if it's just something that happens once per download it should be fine :).
Yes, I don't like the downloading progress UI either. By the time I update that it'll be too late to help you though, until you get your next Android device that is.
cjhopman
Inactive Developer

Post by cjhopman »

cjhopman wrote:
[...] anybody with the .apk is free to distribute it all they want and, unlike iOS, it is ridiculously easy to sideload .apks on almost any phone. They will also need to distribute the data files themselves as the license is checked before the files are served from S3.
Also, I don't believe that they will get updates in that case. I expect that the updates alone will be worth the couple dollars.
Rhonda
Site Administrator

Post by Rhonda »

You are wrong here, at least for the first statement. Mr. Developer has the right to ask for anything he wants for distributing the binaries - the GNU GPL has only one place where it speaks about money, and that is the fee for distributing the source. The binaries he can charge whatever he wants.

The rest of your statements after this misinterpretation though are right: You are free to redistribute it freely by the terms of the GNU GPL, and Mr. Developer should be able to hand you the source, either through the same means, or in a written offer valid for three years.

Darnael wrote:Its not that I cant afford to pay a small fee. I just wish that free software will be really free. If someone is porting (in other words modifying) a free project released under a GNU GPL, he cant expect to monopolize it. 8) I really mean no offense, I just want to notify all of you that you dont have to pay and still use / obtain this app free of charge. :eng:
This is my last post, I really have no wish to start a flamewar :) Thats all I have on my heart. ^_^
If you wish free software to be really free, the please go with the words of the father of the term, RMS: It's all about Free Speech and nothing about Free Beer. What you have in mind is the latter, while what's important is the former. Having it available for free is not what Free Software is about. RMS himself stated regularly enough that if someone wants to sell emacs binaries for $200 then that's absolutely fine with him, as long as the GPL is followed and the receiver of that binaries has all of the four freedoms: Freedom to run for any purpose, Freedom to study the program and adjust in whatever way one sees fit, Freedom to redistibute copies, and the Freedom to redistribute modified versions.

None of that includes something like Freedom to receive the compilation free of charge.