CVS Snapshot for Windows

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

CVS Snapshot for Windows

Post by Dave »

I have decided to try to start releasing CVS snapshots for Windows. Here is the first CVS snapshot, just install it as normal.

http://www.wesnoth.org/files/win-0.5.2-CVS-4-Dec.exe

The deal is, I provide you with CVS snapshots, you provide me with bug reports :)

David
yawningdog

Post by yawningdog »

Looks like a very good idea, as there were several windows users having trouble building Wesnoth from CVS. Also, it could make it easier to track bugs (ie: what snapshot are you using? oh, 15 December; that bug is already solved on next one).
Circon

Post by Circon »

Woo hoo!

But... wasn't there a map editor in the CVS?

Seriously: In answer to somebody else, the Undead first scenario is too long. Cut to 20/20/18 on Hard.

Bugs: Possible feature, but units do not get 1 exp for a battle UNLESS they already have exp for winning one earlier.
Probable feature: Now only 4 exp for winning a battle.
This was with the undead campaign, will get around to Konrad v.soon...
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Circon wrote: But... wasn't there a map editor in the CVS?
Yes...but the map editor is not generally distributed with the Windows version. I guess I can build a version for you if you really want it, but you will have to note that it's not all that usable.
Circon wrote: Bugs: Possible feature, but units do not get 1 exp for a battle UNLESS they already have exp for winning one earlier.
Probable feature: Now only 4 exp for winning a battle.
You get experience equal to the level of the unit you're fighting. This means if you fight a level 0 unit you don't get any experience, but if you fight a level 1 unit, you should always get 1 experience.

You get 4 experience for killing a level 0 unit, and 8*level for killing any other unit.

If you see behavior other than this, please let me know, because it's a bug.

David
Circon

Post by Circon »

Yeah, yeah, it cleared up cos I hadn't realized that bats *and* corpses were lvl 0.
Anyway, here are my notes from playing this so far.

Maps when playing on Easy:

Elves Besieged: The Goblin Pillagers are too powerful. Net should be reduced.

Blackwater Port: Fine, although I wish Seimus would recruit more than one unit at a time.

Isle of Anduin: "Pendulum swinging" again, this time it got way too easy. Usadar recruited *4* wolf riders and then was out of gold.

Bay of Pearls: Looks to be good still. Woohoo, the trident is better!
Muff Malaals: Blargh. Far too many useless walking corpses. 4 exp for killing one, 0 for fighting them. I got a Merman Lord from zapping enough of them, though.

The Siege of Elensefar: Very nice. I moved Konrad down to the second castle early, and recruited a little from there. Good work making that usable.

The Princess: Heh, those reinforcements are a bugger, just like they're meant to be, eh? Slightly unbalanced hp though- ONE CHARGE ATTACK from a Paladin is enough to kill the princess. And a Paladin gets 2 charge attacks, even they do have 30% accuracy. This gives a 50-50 chance to kill the princess with one unit. But fail, and the reinforcements will most likely pummel you to bits that I will not mention.

Heh, next I'll try playing Easy with no recalling, only recruiting... Can I even get a lvl 3 unit?

And I would really like to see a compile with map editor.
Circon

Post by Circon »

BUG!

This started on Muff's Peninsula, and got really bad in the Undead Valley.

If a Merman Lord has a Storm Trident, then occasionally (like on MMP) he will fire lightning with the black background. Once (tVoU) I selected the attack and the whole game crashed, leaving me with not so much as an error message.

SO the Storm Trident seems bugged... still... for Merman Lords.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Circon wrote: If a Merman Lord has a Storm Trident, then occasionally (like on MMP) he will fire lightning with the black background. Once (tVoU) I selected the attack and the whole game crashed, leaving me with not so much as an error message.
Is this problem consistently reproducible? Can you provide a saved game that is immediately before it happens, with instructions for how to consistently get it to happen?

I think I may have a fix, but not sure...

David
Circon

Post by Circon »

Yep, I've got a save file with it. It's in your mail right now.
The bug is partly reproducible- sometimes it crashes, sometimes not. But I've had it crash on me twice right there. Select Merman Lord, attack Wraith, with Storm Trident.
Asmodai

Post by Asmodai »

Dave wrote:You get experience equal to the level of the unit you're fighting. This means if you fight a level 0 unit you don't get any experience, but if you fight a level 1 unit, you should always get 1 experience.

You get 4 experience for killing a level 0 unit, and 8*level for killing any other unit.

If you see behavior other than this, please let me know, because it's a bug.
Any thought on basing the experience point off of the difference instead of just a straight look at the level? Maybe something like:

If fighting a unit under <= your level 1 xp.
If fighting a unit > your level then 1 + difference.

This way units are rewarded more for taking on stronger opponents and strong units don't advance as much if left unchallenged. Just a thought.
yawningdog

Post by yawningdog »

Asmodai: I think that's already taken into account with the bigger amounts of experience each level requires.