Don't you think it's strange that the Elvish Fighter has M5?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dixie

Re: Don't you think it's strange that the Elvish Fighter has

Post by Dixie »

It also depends on other games' mechanics. Maybe they don't have different kinds of terrain, or it's not as important as in Wesnoth, and they need to portrait the agility some otherway (which then translates into speed).
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

The endurance explanation works for me, but here's another rationalization... Elves are like cats. In pursuit of prey in the forest, they are very swift. In the open, they spend much of their time looking every-which-way and zigging and zagging, paranoid about being without cover (and rightfully so, for Elves in Wesnoth.) With respect to Elvish Archers being faster than Elvish Fighters, Elvish Fighters carry heavier swords; Elves are weaker than humans or dwarves; so, Elvish Fighters struggle to carry the extra equipment weight relative to Elvish Archers. Regarding Royal Guards, I don't really like their high movement coupled with their respectable HP's and good resistances, but presumably their armor is either partial chainmail or some lighter alternative, and I can live with thinking of them as elite forces (e.g., Navy Seals) that have better endurance through more rigorous training.
Practice

Post by Practice »

Xalzar wrote:@OP:

I always interpreted:
-the movement points as the capability of walking restlessly;
-the movement cost as the rapidity to walk in various terrains.
Ok, what about poachers, trappers and huntsmans?
Part of huntsman description:
"Master hunters are employed by any group living in or passing through wild country, be they men of the law, or those working against it. Even nature itself can have deadly surprises, and any commander who fails to hire a such a guide can lose his men to nothing more than terrain."

Master of wildrness with 5mp and 2-3 mp cost on almost every terrain?

Interpretaion for one unit wont be good for other. We can talk here about agile, endurance, speed, but a real answer for every question like this is: balance.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Practice wrote:
Xalzar wrote:@OP:

I always interpreted:
-the movement points as the capability of walking restlessly;
-the movement cost as the rapidity to walk in various terrains.
Ok, what about poachers, trappers and huntsmans?
The Trapper is actually the unit that has the great movement, while the Huntsman is more of the eagle eyed hunter. I would believe he would rather not rush through any terrain because he keeps an eye open for his prey.
Practice wrote: Interpretaion for one unit wont be good for other. We can talk here about agile, endurance, speed, but a real answer for every question like this is: balance.
Of course this is the most accurate reasoning we will ever find in this thread :lol2:

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
UK1

Post by UK1 »

UHM because they already cost the same as spearmen and yet have a more powerful range AND melee attack AND defenses? Why don't we give them more hitpoints than the spearman while we're at it? Next you'll be saying they should nerf the bat again! Oh wait they already did that.
"Hey you, bats should be nerfed."
"Why?"
"Because I lost a game to bat swarm and I'm bitterUhm... clarity... and... consistency? Yeah yeah that sounds good. Clarity and consistency."
Do not. Nerf. The bat.
Practice

Post by Practice »

UK1 wrote:UHM because they already cost the same as spearmen and yet have a more powerful range AND melee attack AND defenses? Why don't we give them more hitpoints than the spearman while we're at it? Next you'll be saying they should nerf the bat again! Oh wait they already did that.
Poacher doesnt need any change. I was talking about something else.
P.S:I also do not agree with bat nerf, but this is not a topic to discuss it
AidanMclaren

Post by AidanMclaren »

Gambit wrote:
AidanMclaren wrote: Agility is not the same as endurance, which is why I am starting to look at some other games with make Elves out to be faster runners with a raised eyebrow.
Don't.
Elves are fictional. Other games can portray them however they want. In some games they might be short and make toys, and it's just as "correct" :lol2:
The explanations given here are just the way that Wesnoth lore handles them.
To be fair, the Elves in Wesnoth are pretty much the same typical high fantasy Elves(The wood kind in this game) we've all come to know and love/hate, so I don't think they'd be that much different.
UK1

Post by UK1 »

AidanMclaren wrote:
Gambit wrote: Don't.
Elves are fictional. Other games can portray them however they want. In some games they might be short and make toys, and it's just as "correct" :lol2:
The explanations given here are just the way that Wesnoth lore handles them.
To be fair, the Elves in Wesnoth are pretty much the same typical high fantasy Elves(The wood kind in this game) we've all come to know and love/hate, so I don't think they'd be that much different.
Well the valid point was made that in much fantasy literature elves were made out to be "perfect". Honestly I hate elves from what the things I've read has impressioned me with. They typically live in a badass society that NONE OF THEM HAD TO BUILD, they haven't changed their technology in milennia, haven't expanded their civilization in milennia, etc. etc. Essentially what makes me angry about them is that they are satisfied with no forward movement. They plateaued thousands of years before X was written about them and haven't climbed upward since. They have no upward motive and that is partly why in Tolkien they left Middle Earth, they were afraid of change. They were not advancing while everyone else was and they know their way of life could not be maintained much longer. And on top of that they're typically elitist. Whew, sorry about derail.
"Why?"
"Because I lost a game to bat swarm and I'm bitterUhm... clarity... and... consistency? Yeah yeah that sounds good. Clarity and consistency."
Do not. Nerf. The bat.
AidanMclaren

Post by AidanMclaren »

Apart from the Tolkien Elves, the Elves are at their utmost over-the-top in Warhammer. As I said, even mankind's best swordsmen who have been in a considerable amount of battles, who would probably be even better than the humans from our world and from one of the most powerful Human nations in that world, are still lacklustre compared to the Elvish equivalent . And people justify it with "Humans are weak, they don't rely on skill to win war". I mean, I'm sure everyone has their fair-share of misanthropic feelings, but even that is too much for me.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Since humans are slowed by forest hexes, they still have less mobility overall. But in multiplayer balance considerations, 1mp is a *huge* difference.

Also, for the realism perspective: just because two unit types have the same number of movement points doesn't mean they must run at exactly the same speed in the game's fictional lore. Even with two quick spearmen of the type, one must be slightly quicker than the other, but wesnoth doesn't deal with fractional movement points. All of those tiny differences are rounded away.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
UK1

Post by UK1 »

AidanMclaren wrote:Apart from the Tolkien Elves, the Elves are at their utmost over-the-top in Warhammer. As I said, even mankind's best swordsmen who have been in a considerable amount of battles, who would probably be even better than the humans from our world and from one of the most powerful Human nations in that world, are still lacklustre compared to the Elvish equivalent . And people justify it with "Humans are weak, they don't rely on skill to win war". I mean, I'm sure everyone has their fair-share of misanthropic feelings, but even that is too much for me.
I'm actually kind of proud of humans using cunning, cheating, technology, and overwhelming numbers to win a war in the Old World in Warhammer. I remember that one person in a Warhammer book I read referred to the elves as "Powerful beasts" basically saying "They're beasts, we're hunters. A hunter is no match for a large animal alone, but with his gadgets he can take 'em down gud." The gadgets being the siege equipment, long-range firing ballistae, and other nasty doohickies that the humans in the series designed to use against more physically powerful opponents.
"Why?"
Do not. Nerf. The bat.
UK1

Post by UK1 »

Sapient wrote:Since humans are slowed by forest hexes, they still have less mobility overall. But in multiplayer balance considerations, 1mp is a *huge* difference.

Also, for the realism perspective: just because two unit types have the same number of movement points doesn't mean they must run at exactly the same speed in the game's fictional lore. Even with two quick spearmen of the type, one must be slightly quicker than the other, but wesnoth doesn't deal with fractional movement points. All of those tiny differences are rounded away.
Yay, rounding! *dances a math jig*
"Why?"
Do not. Nerf. The bat.
powershot

Post by powershot »

I must say: in books like Eragon they make elves So much stronger and agile(but not Superhumans). But in Wesnoth I think it still stresses that. (They are pretty peaceful too). Both my dad and I agree elves are the best default faction.

-on topic- I think elvish fighters are the most agile and can run in forest unhindered unlike humans and can also run unhindered in other terrains such as mountains. They can use a bow and still maintain their fighting skills and sword; and they weren't even made for fighting. My Gosh! The elves could be more agile than a 10 Mp guy.

About advancement and Tech. They don't need advancement, they're the best faction already. +They probably spent their millenniums making peace. I mean, humans fight themselves in almost every campaign yet elves almost never fight each other.

P.S. Elves could sell wood but I bet the Woses would get mad. :evil: :lol2:
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
UK1

Post by UK1 »

powershot wrote:I must say: in books like Eragon they make elves So much stronger and agile(but not Superhumans). But in Wesnoth I think it still stresses that. (They are pretty peaceful too). Both my dad and I agree elves are the best default faction.

-on topic- I think elvish fighters are the most agile and can run in forest unhindered unlike humans and can also run unhindered in other terrains such as mountains. They can use a bow and still maintain their fighting skills and sword; and they weren't even made for fighting. My Gosh! The elves could be more agile than a 10 Mp guy.

About advancement and Tech. They don't need advancement, they're the best faction already. +They probably spent their millenniums making peace. I mean, humans fight themselves in almost every campaign yet elves almost never fight each other.

P.S. Elves could sell wood but I bet the Woses would get mad. :evil: :lol2:
I'd like to say real quick that the Rebels faction are technically at conflict with the Elf Council which is still allied to Wesnoth. At least that's how I understood it. Also Eragon was just poorly written... I mean the elves are clearly images of what the author views as perfect. Beautiful, hairless (lol), strong, wise, stoic, vegetarian, mind-blowing atheists, and environmentalists. If they don't kill any animals as they claim then how come every single [censored] scrap of clothing they wear has leather in it?! Does Paolini have no clue how leather is made?! Stuff like this is why dumb children like him shouldn't publish books. I need to stop ranting on this thread... But yeah, I don't think elves should have more MP either for balance OR flavor.
"Why?"
Do not. Nerf. The bat.
powershot

Post by powershot »

UK1 wrote:Beautiful, hairless (lol), strong, wise, stoic, vegetarian, mind-blowing atheists, and environmentalists. If they don't kill any animals as they claim then how come every single [censored] scrap of clothing they wear has leather in it?! Does Paolini have no clue how leather is made?! Stuff like this is why dumb children like him shouldn't publish books. But yeah, I don't think elves should have more MP either for balance OR flavor.
Ok, I agree with you about the leather. But Eragon is a pretty good book. Anyway, I think elves (in Wesnoth) are just fine.

Post 2: Welcome "AidanMclaren", if no-one has said this already.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.