Large FFA battle

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Neuromancer

Large FFA battle

Post by Neuromancer »

Big map -> something like 60x60 or bigger
5 to 7 players
Play time 4-8 hours, but quite short timer (about 6 minutes I guess)
Objective: occupy the most villages, maybe extra points for kills
Is anyone interested in this kind of game? Can some participant share his comments (I guess this was already played somewhere in past) on gameplay, available maps and so on? Is this gonna work or it would be good if there was some other objective?
Noy
Inactive Developer

Re: Large FFA battle

Post by Noy »

We used to have a battle like this from time to time, based on the Westeros map. It was quasi diplomacy game, which had some less than umm 'polite' outcomes.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
cookie

Post by cookie »

Sorry to burst your bubble but, large FFA battles often don't get finished.
There is usually a player who would rage quit after the first several turns or the ones which buy stupid recruits leading in a fast finish for their side.
I suggest you play with reliable people as ^ mentioned above gets really annoying and quickly gets you off playing FFA.
And I can say, houses can are always aimed to be captured. :P

If you're going to make this, make the map balanced.
Think of what you want in this map exactly.
Neuromancer wrote:Objective: occupy the most villages, maybe extra points for kills
Sounds kinda like Conquest but MEH. Goodluck
~Cookie
Bye says the cookie.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

You may want to use the Diplomacy Era
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

cookie wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble but, large FFA battles often don't get finished.
There is usually a player who would rage quit after the first several turns...
You think this will be some instant game with people taken from around the multiplayer server? I think the setting itself implies list of participants and start time arranged on forum.
cookie wrote: If you're going to make this, make the map balanced.
Think of what you want in this map exactly.
[irony]
Oh, really? I never thought of this..
[/irony]

Sapient, Noy, thanks for comments. I made some forum searches, and Im interested in something like Battle for Westeros. Im imagining large battle, but with minimum amount of diplomacy and following usual wesnoth gameplay. That means nice, probably symmetrical map with differing terrain, several keeps for one side, level one recruits. Something like Crusaders Field, but on bigger map. It can be made with King on a Hill objective, I think that will motivate players to focus on playing, not camping.
Also, is there some guide for various MP modes and games?