Binary patches for Windows [poll]

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Are you interested in Wesnoth having binary patches for Windows releases?

I'm interested
63%
I'm not interested and I don't play Wesnoth on Windows
19%
I'm not interested and I play Wesnoth on Windows
18%

Total votes: 84

DEATH_is_undead

Re: Binary patches for Windows [poll]

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

I remember a while ago on Linux (which was set to automatically update), when I updated and a few units were missing. The units were missing because they were taken out of Wesnoth, and I was trying to access a addon that used them, and the update kept all of my addons. I see the same thing with this, and no way to fix it without checking each addon and the units for problems. I see a potential problem with overwhelming posts with addons not working with this...
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Max

Post by Max »

that's off topic here. if done right binary patches wont change anything. they are just an alternative way to update to a new version.

Updates of major releases (1.8.x, 1.9.x) share the same user data directory (with the exception of windows where you can choose to put it in the program directory). That's fine because users keep there preferences, add-ons, save-games.

an add-on is either compatible with a new version or it's not - what's your point exactly? what you describe is quite rare for the stable branch anyway...
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Is there an option to do this for Macs as well?
I'm a coding neopyte, but it seems like the kind of thing that would be really handy.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

We don't currently have anything to do this on Macs.

If your main problem is download size, you could try getting Wesnoth via SVN, but then you'd also have to learn to compile it.
RedAdder

How about asking someone else for their updater?

Post by RedAdder »

How about asking someone else for their updater, for example Planeshift?
Their source code is GNU GPL, and maybe their updater too.
Their updater checks all files using a checksum versus a release. That can be a bit slow, but it also can save a lot of bandwidth. It requires a server though, but who knows maybe someone (Google summer of code?) could make the procedure p2p?

As far as I can see in this thread, the problem with the differential update procedure lies in getting someone to create all these updaters.