1.9.5 swallow water / plain = bad terrain

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Caphriel

Re: 1.9.5 swallow water / plain = bad terrain

Post by Caphriel »

I'm one, and I know there are a few others active-ish on the forum, although I can't recall names at the moment.

Alternatively, maybe we can get an artist to help us make a colorblind-friendly terrain image pack. At some point when doing the new water, for instance, they decided to decrease the saturation for the water tiles, and to reduce the contrast between shallow and deep water in order to make for smoother transitions.

I'm focusing on the shallow/deep water issue because it's the one I'm most aware of.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

* I'm not especially an animator. I'd be happy to accept quality water or ford tiles that are more distinct in texture from each other. There are tons of things i'd like to improve in the terrain --what you see is not the final word-- i just don't have time to make them myself right now.

* Since there are many different varieties of color blindness, and they can't all be completely addressed by the same graphics, that making an add-on that substitutes terrains images is the way to go.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Can add-ons do that? Hmm.
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

Eleazar wrote:... making an add-on that substitutes terrains images is the way to go.
I don't think add-ons can affect core files.

Go on, prove my ignorance.

edit : Bah. Caphriel got there first. I shouldn't've spent so much time messing with size tags.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

at the very least, you could probably make an era that would check for certain terrain types on a map and then replace them with a terrain that is the same in every way (an alias? i don't know terrain graphics very well), but with a different image.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

Wouldn't that cause OoS errors unless the other player(s) have the era too, effectively restricting color-blind people to playing only with other color-blind people?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

as long as the stats stay exactly the same, what something looks like should not cause an OOS.
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

:doh: ...It being an era... wouldn't that mean that someone using the era could only play with others using the era, solving the problem of OoS errors but compounding the problem of restricting color-blind players' options?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

there is a require_era=yes/no key, so as long as it is set to 'no', then you would not need the era installed to play in a game using it.
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

Oh. I don't play multiplayer, so I wouldn't know.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I don't mess with add-ons much, so i'm not certain what the limitations are, but i've used addons that change the appearance of mainline terrain-- at least in certain contexts.

If that isn't practicable, just prepare an alternate terrain image folder, (preserving files names and organization) that color-blind players can copy over the default images. Installation requires slightly more work, but there are no conflicts or OoS errors
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

The biggest problem with that is distributing it, but I suppose just letting it float around the forum will probably be sufficient.

(go go colorblind art team! :lol2: )
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Well I suppose if one wanted to reduce the work involved enough, there is no particular reason why the alternate terrain would have to have any transitions. Just fit the hexsides and you will have a playable, if a bit ugly, tileset.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

joshudson wrote:there is no particular reason why the alternate terrain would have to have any transitions
That's rude. :| Just because I'm colorblind doesn't mean I don't care about aesthetics. We have a playable tileset in 1.8. Changes to the tileset in 1.9 in order to make it look nicer (which overall, it does quite well!) in some cases reduce the differentiability of some of the terrain types. Proposing "solutions" that would be ugly but provide differentiation isn't really constructive.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Since movement and defense is calculated based on terrain types (categories) rather than actual terrain ids or strings, you just need to write a copy of default era with a prestart event that replaces the offending terrains with others in the same category.

Balance will not be affected at all.