How to decide which add-ons to try?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lokiju

Re: How to decide which add-ons to try?

Post by lokiju »

Hulavuta wrote:http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?t=29569

Everybody forgot norbert already? (The site could use a little more activity, but it's an option.)
The layout is clunky to me, and there doesn't seem to be much feedback based on a quick scan, but I appreciate the effort he put into it.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Well see, there aren't many people who WANT to rate add-ons. Of course, it will take people, like you, to make that site active. Of course, there isn't a way to just make a site active just like that, but if more people go for it, it could become a good way to rate add-ons.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I tried to go rate something on there once, but I couldn't figure how to register/find where put a rating/etc for the life of me. It's really unintuitive... :/
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Dixie wrote:I tried to go rate something on there once, but I couldn't figure how to register/find where put a rating/etc for the life of me. It's really unintuitive... :/
While he has a great idea there (and he obviously put a bit of effort into it!), I agree about the unintuitive layout. It would be nice to have a filter for single player or MP content without having to click the individual links to find out what each is about. Maybe a SP section separated from MP content?
Hulavuta wrote:Well see, there aren't many people who WANT to rate add-ons. Of course, it will take people, like you, to make that site active. Of course, there isn't a way to just make a site active just like that, but if more people go for it, it could become a good way to rate add-ons.
I disagree with your view that people don't want to rate content. It's anonymous after all, and a simple click of a mouse button (or it should be). I would wager it's more about people being too lazy to go to a fan site rather than having an easy to use, built in rating system within Wesnoth's own add-on function. How many people skip rating movies on Netflix? It's easy!However, if you had a Netflix fan site with ratings instead of it them being incorporated into the official site, I'm sure it would be less popular as well.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Okay, Turuk used to make an add-on campaign list around early BfW 1.6. The status (finished, complete, not finished, etc...) was on the list. If someone is able to continue to do that list wisely, I think it will be helpful (slightly)...

I tried to find the thread, but I was not able to find it. Could anyone know where it is now?
Well, it was abandoned because nobody continues to do it though. We should probably find a particular responsible person for it in the case.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Is this at all like what you're referring to? http://wiki.wesnoth.org/List_of_campaigns
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Mountain_King wrote:Is this at all like what you're referring to? http://wiki.wesnoth.org/List_of_campaigns
Oh, yes! Thank you, Mountain_King.:)
It wasn't a thread. It was on wiki. Now I know why I was not able to find it.

EDIT: yeah... that will be a tough job though. We have to download all add-ons to maintain the list, and need to keep updating it.
It seems that the descriptions were from main files, instead of pbl files, on the list.
I stay to wait a suggestion by sir greens (Moderators) or sir reds (developers) for it.

EDIT II: currently, the topic is parallel with this thread: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=32834
I notice it to avoid a confusion.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Well let's discuss the ratings in the ideas thread, and non-ratings-system stuff here.
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Thanks Gambit, I was going to ask you to close this thread as I was pointed to the other one after the fact, but if this one still serves a purpose then it's up to you...
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Nope. I can lock it. :)

SkyOne: If you'd like discuss reimplementing the finished add-ons list, feel free to make a new thread on the topic. A project that big probably deserves its own thread anyways.