The Fate of General Ballerwall

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Doopliss

The Fate of General Ballerwall

Post by Doopliss »

(Not sure if silly things like this are acceptable in this forum. If not, my apologies)

Having been dragged into a suicide mission by Sir Gweddry's stubborn loyalty, we fled into the tunnels below the city, a horde of undead at our heels and a raiding band of trolls blocking our inexperienced force's way. Our mages desperately blasted at the trolls in front of us, and the ghosts came ever closer. Our survival in that chase was thanks, above all others, to one soldier.

This is General Ballerwall, the heaviest of heavy infantries and the most solid roadblock in known history. For three turns he stood there, squeezed between two overwhelming, hostile, and angry armies. He spent the two turns before that clobbering trolls, and endured who-knows-how-many more turns after our straggling mage marched out of eyesight. In the past turn, the enemy had mostly given up on hitting him and decided to fight around him against the opposing army. General Ballerwall had simply become a constant in the battle, like the village he guarded and the cave walls hemming us in. If someone did manage to hit him, he would promptly level up, making him more determined than ever.

Eventually, as we made our escape, the enemy almost caught up to us. But it wasn't from the south. No, before taking the path guarded by General Ballerwall was an option, the undead broke the troll ranks and stormed through their stronghold to the other side. They were a few turns too late.

In honor of the General's heroics, a new military rank was created in Sir Gweddry's force. During the many, many sandwich missions to come, the Ballerwalls would valiantly hold a line the rest of the army had abandoned, striking fear into even the undead and buying the main force precious time to attack the leader on the opposite side.

Some say General Ballerwall died during that battle. The undead overran the trolls eventually, and even the sturdiest defense wouldn't stop incorporeal shades from draining his life-force away. I don't believe it's true. My belief is that, through however many days the battle wore on, the General remained a sentinel over the village. Not seeming to have any interest in moving off of it, the overwhelming force it would take to defeat him just wasn't worth the effort. So as the days turned into months, General Ballerwall was left alone, and his ZoC was factored into everyday life.

A long time later, as our victorious army finally marched home, some of the troops could swear they heard a faint grumbling under their feet, as if General Ballerwall was still collecting the taxes from the dwarves in the town he was stationed.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: The Fate of General Ballerwall

Post by Sapient »

Doopliss wrote: A long time later, as our victorious army finally marched home, some of the troops could swear they heard a faint grumbling under their feet, as if General Ballerwall was still collecting the taxes from the dwarves in the town he was stationed.
:lol2:

Good story! Thanks for the laughs.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I lol'd.

But a Sergeant commanding a General? wut???
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

This is pretty cool, and I liked the story. Maybe more stuff like this would be fun- the forums need some livening up, in my opinion, and this might make a nice way to do so, in small dosages.
Joram

Post by Joram »

:lol2:

That was pretty good.
Some say General Ballerwall died during that battle. The undead overran the trolls eventually, and even the sturdiest defense wouldn't stop incorporeal shades from draining his life-force away. I don't believe it's true. My belief is that, through however many days the battle wore on, the General remained a sentinel over the village. Not seeming to have any interest in moving off of it, the overwhelming force it would take to defeat him just wasn't worth the effort. So as the days turned into months, General Ballerwall was left alone, and his ZoC was factored into everyday life.
Based on my knowledge of the Wesnoth AI, I'm with you on this one. :lol2:
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
slyeyes

Post by slyeyes »

Forgive me for the bump, but i had deja vu when i saw this and just had to share it:
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

3 guesses as to what his last name is. First two don't count.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

slyeyes wrote:Forgive me for the bump, but i had deja vu when i saw this and just had to share it:
Gah! Don't leave us in suspense; what happened with the Ghost and Cyn?! Did he level or did the Ghost? Or BOTH?!

(aside to self: OMG! Just realized I've never seen two units level at the same time! OMG!)

@Doopliss: Great story. We should have more like it. I know I've watched some of my units do incredible things and made up little stories about them in my head. Much fun.
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

Insinuator wrote: (aside to self: OMG! Just realized I've never seen two units level at the same time! OMG!)
Be quiet about that! Every time this happens God kickes one puppy into face!