Copyright issues

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Fosprey

Copyright issues

Post by Fosprey »

Im breaking copyright issues if I take a game and translate it to wesnoth exactly ,like same units that have generic games, same mechanics, etc. IF i never use any copyrighted name?

Like say i make a game called Craftwar 3, and it 4 races (human, orcs, undead, night elves) and all the same mechanics (pop, gold mining with peasants, champs, all the same units , upgrades and level) But i never use names like warcraft, azeroth etc?.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Copyright issues

Post by Gambit »

It really depends. Would you be using their same artwork? Copyrighted music? Maps and geography that they invented and own? Et cetera.
You're safe on the game mechanics I'd say. There's no way you can perfectly translate a real time mmorpg into a turn based strategy. It will play entirely different.

This question is hard to answer without knowing exactly what you have in mind and those sort of minute implementation details.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

He's talking about Warcraft 3, not World of Warcraft.

Now, I'm no lawyer, but if you're intending to copy something and just change enough to be safe, you're clearly violating at least the spirit of copyright protections, if not the letter, too.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

You should also keep in mind that different countries have different copyright laws, some more restrictive than others.

Generally, it's best to steer clear of the whole copyright issue altogether. As Gambit points out, you can make a mod with similar mechanics to Warcraft (four factions, peasants mining gold, etc) without doing any copying, and thus avoid the whole issue.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

Ok,im considering doing Warlords battlecry 2 in Wesnoth.
I do not plan to use artwork, music or names of WBC2.
I plan to use the same mechanics, very similar tech trees. Similar factions (though they are generic in the sense of ¨high elves¨ etc), And every faction will have the same characteristics as their wbc2 counterpart.
But it would be obvious to a player playig the mod that i try to capture the same gameplay as in wbc2.