Introduce yourself here!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CinnamonCitrus

Re: Introduce yourself here!

Post by CinnamonCitrus »

Hello!! I played this as a kid when my dad downloaded onto the family computer years ago. I recently got back into it. I'm looking forward to playing again.
fluxbird

Post by fluxbird »

I'm Alex, 18 years old, I've been playing this game literally since I was six years old but I only got a forum account just now. I also very recently updated the game for the first time in forever, so let's see how that goes.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

@fluxbird, CinnamonCitrus, ChampignonZ and gb
Glad to see you guys coming back to Wesnoth, and welcome to the forums. :)
perfectlyGoodInk

Post by perfectlyGoodInk »

Howdy there! Just discovered this game when looking for more turn-based games for my Android phone. Hadn't really played much turn-based since xconq during my college days. Now, as a father of 2, I realize that it's quite handy to have a game that I can... uh... put down at any time? Sorta?

Well, it's better than trying to put down a PvP real-time combat game mid-match (I was a clan leader in War Robots).

Anyway, love the game, particularly the music. My 7-year-old son keeps watching me play over my shoulder, but calls it "The Mouse Game" for some reason that he can't/won't explain. As he loves designing levels (particularly in Portal 2), he's created a map and is now in the midst of trying to create a scenario cfg file for it as well. I'm not sure how doable that is, but who am I to discourage this sorta thing?

Anyway, hello everybody!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

perfectlyGoodInk wrote: May 29th, 2018, 2:35 pm Anyway, love the game, particularly the music. My 7-year-old son keeps watching me play over my shoulder, but calls it "The Mouse Game" for some reason that he can't/won't explain.
Maybe he is refering to the fact that you can play this game mouse only, without needing your keyboard?
perfectlyGoodInk wrote: May 29th, 2018, 2:35 pm As he loves designing levels (particularly in Portal 2), he's created a map and is now in the midst of trying to create a scenario cfg file for it as well. I'm not sure how doable that is, but who am I to discourage this sorta thing?
You could help him out by making him create a forum account so he can ask for advice in the right forum parts. :D
Xara

Post by Xara »

Konrad2 wrote: May 29th, 2018, 3:00 pm You could help him out by making him create a forum account so he can ask for advice in the right forum parts.
One needs to be at least 13 years old for a forum account IIRC.
perfectlyGoodInk wrote: May 29th, 2018, 2:35 pm As he loves designing levels (particularly in Portal 2), he's created a map and is now in the midst of trying to create a scenario cfg file for it as well. I'm not sure how doable that is, but who am I to discourage this sorta thing?
I'd say that would be a fun coding education. I'd recommend making a survival map. It feels great to kill players with your wave designs.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Xara wrote: May 29th, 2018, 3:49 pm
Konrad2 wrote: May 29th, 2018, 3:00 pm You could help him out by making him create a forum account so he can ask for advice in the right forum parts.
Oops.
Then better ask in his stead. ._.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

I know that technically your child could simply start an account and lie about his age, but I'd call you a very bad parent if you let/made him do it. It may sound clichéd, but that's no way to raise a child.

And, also, people's writing styles tend to give them away, so I don't think the boy would get away with it for long.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Konrad2 wrote: May 29th, 2018, 4:24 pm
Oops.
Not true - he needs parental consent. It might be a good idea to ask for him anyway though, to make sure that he's protected.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

GunChleoc wrote: June 1st, 2018, 7:30 am
Konrad2 wrote: May 29th, 2018, 4:24 pm
Oops.
Not true - he needs parental consent. It might be a good idea to ask for him anyway though, to make sure that he's protected.
It says "You must be over or exactly 13 years of age to register" on the registration page (note that you must be not logged in to see it).
Saratos

Post by Saratos »

Hey there fellow Wesnoth lovers~!

I'm Jesse, but go by Saratos on the forums and in the game. Some of you have probably seen me around before.
I've actually been playing Wesnoth on and off for 12 years now (doesn't seem like that long!), and have recently begun to dabble in WML!
Still finding my "voice" when it comes to Wesnoth map making and scenario building, but it's going nicely and I'm having fun with it :)

Outside of Wesnoth, I am a musician (Jesse Potter Music & The Chimney Swifts Band), and work night shifts in group homes for people living with disabilities on the side. That's where I am afforded the opporunity to do things like code in WML and play Wesnoth ;)

I live in Nova Scotia Canada (which is an amazingly beautiful place that I highly recommend visiting!), and do a fair bit of travelling playing music.

Wishing you all the best, thanks for keeping this great game alive!
~ Jesse
Alchemister

Post by Alchemister »

Hello!

I got introduced to this amazing game about 8 years ago and now when I'm slowly finishing my master's (in Chemistry teaching), I thought I might as well (with 1.14 rolling out) step up my game and join the forums, later possibly even the MP server or try to create something. Throughout the times, I sometimes lurked in the forums as a guest, but, well... might as well start even writing, discussing and generally become a (minuscule) part of the community instead of just a player.

I hope the community will stay as friendly as it seems from outside and I'm sure I will do my best to keep at least myself that way.

Fair luck and have fun to all!
Byron

Post by Byron »

Instead of new campaigns, there are several older campaigns that have lost their maintainer, & therefore not been updated to work with the newest version. I still have 1.10.17 installed so that I can play some of these campaigns. Some of these are very good: Elves & Woses, The Militia, A Shameless Crossover Excuse just to name a few. I know that this is being done, or at least, had been done in the past. A site moderator could show you how to start. You could make use of your coding skills without taking on the tremendous challenge of writing a new campaign.
speedduck

Post by speedduck »

Hello
I've been playing Wesnoth for a while and in the last year have started to play around with eras and map creation. Recently I've started to get into pixel art. I joined the forums, because I've been working on some unit graphics and need some help with how to properly shade and colour them. I've looked over most of the tutorials on Wesnoth forums and I've also visited these links:
http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299
http://purloux.com/artwork/tutorials/rundown/
Where in the forums could I look for help with this?

Speedduck.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

speedduck wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 4:26 pm Hello
I've been playing Wesnoth for a while and in the last year have started to play around with eras and map creation. Recently I've started to get into pixel art. I joined the forums, because I've been working on some unit graphics and need some help with how to properly shade and colour them. I've looked over most of the tutorials on Wesnoth forums and I've also visited these links:
http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299
http://purloux.com/artwork/tutorials/rundown/
Where in the forums could I look for help with this?

Speedduck.
Welcome! The correct forum for that would be the Art Workshop.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code