Trying to get the hang of backstabbing

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Something_Dreadful

Trying to get the hang of backstabbing

Post by Something_Dreadful »

^hilarious title for a topic, don't you think? Anyways - as far as I can understand in order to backstab a unit, you have to attack it from one side first, and then from the back with a unit with the backstab ability? Is it really that complicated?

It seems kinda strange that you have to have someone distracting a character before you can backstab it. =\
dipseydoodle

Re: Trying to get the hang of backstabbing

Post by dipseydoodle »

No... You just have to attack directly from the back IIRC.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

You just need to have two friendlies adjacent IIUC.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

If you are refering to the thief's weapon special, you have to take an enemy unit in a pincer, or sandwich if you prefer, for backstab tp work. Unit don't have to be on the same side, or not even the same team, as long as both are enemies of the target. And you don't have to attack with the unit on the other side, it can just stand there if you prefer, as long as it is on the other side of the target.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Araja

Post by Araja »

Have a unit that's hostile to the target standing on the opposite side of the target to you. Both of you adjacent to the target, naturally.

The classic thing to do is use scouts and skirmishers for this. The fast unit runs around to the other side of the target and the backstabber does his thing. The dangerous Gryphon + Thief or Footpad + Thief combos.
So far, I've never managed to use this well outside of RPG bosses and threatening people with it just like a berserker. In theory it should be handy for dealing with isolated enemy units but I never manage to isolate an enemy unit :P
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Thieves, as Dixie had hinted at, work wonders in pairs. Together, especially if both are strong and at night, they can together damage up to 72 hitpoints! That's...an Orcish Warlord right there!

Of course, you don't blindly send your thieves against random enemies, but most of time use them in pairs w/ scouts, as Araja mentioned. They're useful for getting that extra punch on your attack. And of course, the unit opposite of the enemy target is just a friendly unit. No need for attacking, which is why in pairs they are devastating.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The only thing you need is an opposing unit directly opposite the back stabbing unit when it attacks. That unit doesn't need to have done anything yet this turn, and indeed, can move on after the backstabbing has taken place.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

thespaceinvader wrote:That unit doesn't need to have done anything yet this turn, and indeed, can move on after the backstabbing has taken place.
That is, if the unit is a skirmisher, if the backstabbed unit is level 0, or the backstabbed unit is killed. (otherwise the opposite-side unit would be ZOC'ed)
Joram

Post by Joram »

Or if it began its turn there. Also, killing a unit after moving next to it doesn't remove ZoC effects it has already inflicted (unless you meant you had to kill the unit in order to move past it, as opposed to some other direction?)
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Araja wrote:The classic thing to do is use scouts and skirmishers for this. The fast unit runs around to the other side of the target and the backstabber does his thing. The dangerous Gryphon + Thief or Footpad + Thief combos. So far, I've never managed to use this well outside of RPG bosses and threatening people with it just like a berserker. In theory it should be handy for dealing with isolated enemy units but I never manage to isolate an enemy unit :P
i've used it extensively in battles, especially on bad terrain where they have better movement and defense than most regular units, and at night of course. the trick is not to leave them alone on the field because they get killed easily by the heavy damagers, so move other units to cover them after they've done their deed opening a hole in the ZoC line.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Joram wrote:Or if it began its turn there.
This. You can move your backstabber into position behind, kill the unit with it, then move the helper unit on after it's dead, as long as it's not moved this turn.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I find that ulfserkers are frequently useful for breaking formations to help give your thieves some leverage.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Almost as if they were designed to work together :whistle:
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

For "getting the hang of" thieves in general, I recommend HttT Thieves Challenge as being discussed in this thread.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!