What a wonderful game!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WinstonSmith

What a wonderful game!

Post by WinstonSmith »

I've just discovered BfW and love it! I loved Master of Magic, Fantasy General, Warsong,
Warlords, etc. and none of them were free! None of them had additional down-loadable content.
Fun and challenging, infinatley re-playable. Thank you!
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What a wonderful game!

Post by Sangel »

Welcome to the Wesnoth, and welcome to the forums! It's always good to see new faces about. If you have any questions that need answering, there's a whole treasure trove of answers to be dug up using the search function. Or if you can't find what you're looking for that way, please do ask. We pride ourselves on having a cheerful and helpful community here, so there'll usually be someone who'll lend a hand. Just be sure to read those posting guidelines.

It sounds like you're a fan of some of the old school classics. Warlords was way back in 1989. Good times for gameplay - before the graphics race kicked off.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Welcome! :D
Glad to see that you're enjoying the game. I hope you'll become an active member of the community as well. :)
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

Welcome to the forums!
Have a good time. :)
R.I.P
WhiteElk

Post by WhiteElk »

Agreed Winston! I've been playing Wesnoth for a couple months now. I've played nothing else since discovering it. I'm hooked. And that was before I experienced add-ons! Great game made well. Some big developers would do well to take notes on various aspects of this game.
WinstonSmith

Post by WinstonSmith »

What I'm liking the most about BfW is that it is a purist strategy game. Forces you
to think! Sure, there's a story, but what really keeps me coming back is that BfW
forces you to think tactics and strategy. I give BfW the same high marks as my all-
time favorite TBS game- Steel Panthers. (Matrix games now publishes SP, former SSI
game) Is also generously offered now as Steel Panthers World at War and has been
made freeware- Just like BfW. I'd encourage anyone who likes wwII tactical games
to give it a shot. BfW is every bit as expansive and enjoyable- And just as free.

I truly give thanks to both BfW dev team and Matrix Games for giving something
great back to the consumers that support the game industry.
GeneralGonzo

Post by GeneralGonzo »

Hello,
I´m new here too!
I found this wonderful game by coincidence when searching in the "Legacy" game museum. As fan of turn-based game, where graphic is secondary for me, the game stole immediately my heart while playing the tutorial missions. I´m looking forward to play those scenarios where planning every turn is as important as it is in other great games made of thsi style like the "fire emblem" series (sadly, no part of it was ever released for pc!).

I´m in now and looking forward to the community, surely mosttly made of older players, isn´t it ?
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

GeneralGonzo wrote:I´m in now and looking forward to the community, surely mosttly made of older players, isn´t it ?
We used to have a stickied poll keeping track of this. The Wesnoth community really is made up of players from all age groups; it seems to skew a little older than most video game communities. I've observed that older players tend to stick around longer than younger players; I suspect that the raw poll data thus underestimates the actual percentage of older players active at any one point in time.

At any rate, I enjoy the balance. While antisocial behaviour is more common in younger players than old, I enjoy the enthusiasm they bring to the game. And our younger members grow up in time, too - many become enthusiastic contributors, moderators, UMC-designers, etc. :D
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
WinstonSmith

Post by WinstonSmith »

I turned 48 yesterday. I've been a player of board & miniatures wargames & RPG's. I've played strategy
games on PC's going back to Wargame construction kit (SSI), Pool of Radiance (SSI) on the Atari 800.

After all these years, BfW is one of the most enjoyable I've played. :mrgreen:
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

I hope you enjoy the game. If you like more of the strategy side of the game try 1v1 multiplayer with default settings, it seems to be balanced ok :).
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.
MsPacMan

Post by MsPacMan »

Yay for being newbies! 8D I would've never found this if my best friend wouldn't have shut up about it! ^^ Yay for sexy annoying nerds who could be a charcter themselves!
"It's good for your soul." "I wish I had a piece of cake..." I feel like taking a nap..." "I can sell you that." and "That's epic" are 95% of what I say. Now, I'm going to make some tots and play Pac-Man Marie-out
Sebi

Post by Sebi »

Good evening.
I discovered Wesnoth last weekend and already am addicted to it. I really am a fan of classic turn based games, especially the Fire Emblem Series, and there are many many elements which are the same in Wesnoth. As I am from Germany, I might make some spelling and grammar mistakes, don't hesitate to give me a hint.

Sadly, I missed most of the great turn based games because I am too young, but I did my very best to catch up on these.
And now, have a nice evening and thank you for this fantastic game. Right now, I only could contribute to language packs, but as I am apprentice and study Information Science for Business, one day I even might help developing games.
Greetz
Sebi
No, I don't wanna play again, I lost for the umptieth time. - Five minutes later - Oh, I'm gonna try once again, only once.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Sebi wrote:I really am a fan of classic turn based games, especially the Fire Emblem Series, and there are many many elements which are the same in Wesnoth.
*cringe*

Welcome to the forums! I hope you'll not only enjoy the game, but become a regular member of the forums as well.
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

Welcome to the forums! :)
In Christ,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
Sebi

Post by Sebi »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:
Sebi wrote:I really am a fan of classic turn based games, especially the Fire Emblem Series, and there are many many elements which are the same in Wesnoth.
*cringe*

Welcome to the forums! I hope you'll not only enjoy the game, but become a regular member of the forums as well.
Crushmaster wrote:Welcome to the forums! :)
In Christ,
Crushmaster.
Thank you. What is that bad about Fire Emblem?
I must admit that I lost some skill over the last few years, I am stuck in the Southguard Campaign Into the Depths on Easy. How very sad, but I'll manage ;) .
Greez
Sebi
No, I don't wanna play again, I lost for the umptieth time. - Five minutes later - Oh, I'm gonna try once again, only once.