Commentary of a replay

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Huumy

Commentary of a replay

Post by Huumy »

I hope this is the right place to post this.
Last night I downloaded this Camstudio program because I wanted to do english commentary of wesnoth game. I randomly downloaded a game from ladder.subversiva.org and started recording, then I made a youtube account and here's what came out :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A42zuFFH2cE
check out the second part too in my channel :)

I know there's a lot improve but I wanted to upload this cause I gotta start somewhere :).
I'll be doing more of these in future because it was really fun!
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Re: Commentary of a replay

Post by Doc Paterson »

Nice! I really enjoyed those. Sent you a friend request on there.

Definitely do more.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I felt it would have helped if you had spent a bit less time talking before showing the match. Aside from the fact that visually the menu screen gets boring pretty quickly it emphasizes the things that you (as a commentator) are weak at (even if you weren't taking the time to discuss them). In this particular attempt you spend about 4.5 minutes this way which is not all that long if you know you're going to enjoy what comes after but if you don't (and from the sounds of it you were attempting to accommodate people who are not familiar with wesnoth) the prospect of going through that much time worth of inexperienced english could be a rapid turn off. If you feel the need to give more information then at least load up the replay so they have a glimpse of what they're actually waiting for (and 4.5 is probably a bit long even for that).

Keep practicing.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

I felt it would have helped if you had spent a bit less time talking before showing the match. Aside from the fact that visually the menu screen gets boring pretty quickly it emphasizes the things that you (as a commentator) are weak at (even if you weren't taking the time to discuss them). In this particular attempt you spend about 4.5 minutes this way which is not all that long if you know you're going to enjoy what comes after but if you don't (and from the sounds of it you were attempting to accommodate people who are not familiar with wesnoth) the prospect of going through that much time worth of inexperienced english could be a rapid turn off. If you feel the need to give more information then at least load up the replay so they have a glimpse of what they're actually waiting for (and 4.5 is probably a bit long even for that).

Keep practicing.
True :) in my next commentary that I'm now loading I spent way too less time in the starting screen and it's way longer game.
Thank you for the good criticism :).
Nice! I really enjoyed those. Sent you a friend request on there.

Definitely do more.
Thank you, I accepted your friend request :D
I also thought you said "uh" a bit too much.
I will try to say "uh" less :D
Last edited by Huumy on October 11th, 2010, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I also thought you said "uh" a bit too much.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Aelaris

Post by Aelaris »

Hmmm... I might try something like this. Except probably rapid-fire commentary on one of my replays.
"Let's all agree that Konrad simply represents 'Konrad and his female ninja bodyguards'." - Gambit, explaining how a character could also be a battalion.
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

Any1 knows whats good program/setting to record your screen? I would like better program than camstudio, but don't really know anything about recording programs.
Hmmm... I might try something like this. Except probably rapid-fire commentary on one of my replays.
I hope you do, it can be lot of fun :).
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Any1 knows whats good program/setting to record your screen? I would like better program than camstudio, but don't really know anything about recording programs.
Screenflow

http://www.telestream.net/screen-flow/overview.htm
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

Thank you, I will try this.

I download it but don't have Mac :)
Last edited by Huumy on November 2nd, 2010, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kraus

Post by Kraus »

Good to see Finns active in Wesnoth community. :)

As said, there's a lot of work to be done, and much of what is to be said has already been said. There are, however, some things to keep in mind when preparing for a presentation (and an audio commentary is definitely a form of presentation).

Preparing the presentation before recording could really be worthwhile, so that you will know exactly what to say. This will reduce the amount of 'uhs' and pauses in your speech, not even to mention the oh-so-Finnish coughing. :) This is especially important for the intro, where you have something to say about the game, or yourself, before actually going into showing the game itself. You can write, and rewrite the whole speech as many times as you want, and practice it a couple of times actually speaking aloud - don't let your flatmates' weird looks bother you afterwards, but if there is any inconvenience, buy them a beer or something. ;) You know it works.

Second, if you want to comment your playing, you might want to play the game first, and then add the commentary afterwards - once again, you get the time needed to prepare for what you have to say, and know what it is instead of using the limited time scrolling up and down, or showing the main menu. So, why not play the game first, and add the commentary later on? This works just as fine when commenting on games of others - recording the game first, and making notes before voicing over the game might be something to try. I know it's not very intuitive, but practicing out of intuition is not getting you far - it's much easier to take your time with foreign languages.

Thirdly, speak up! :) I won't stress this as much as preparation, but you either speak too far from the mic, or too quiet. When presenting yourself, don't be afraid to use your voice! People are looking forward to hearing it, and it's your only instrument in these videos. Speak, up!

Don't dwell on h- and s-sounds. Those are easily twisted when recorded, and you have to be extra careful not to pause on words like 'thisssss--' or 'uuhhhhhh--'. They irritate the listener easily.

But yeah, think beforehand what you're going to say, and with what words. :) Having notes, or reading from a paper is not illegal for first tries, or even later on if things still feel overwhelming.

Krausedit\\ Funny, I searched a few of your posts, and while your punctuation and some grammar leave a bit lacking, your writing isn't bad at all! Your spoken english just isn't up to par with your writing, which, while understandable, is rather odd. Trust your writing skills, and try reading them aloud, with correct emphasis on tone where needed - this will make your spoken English much more interesting.
"Oh, to the hades with the manners - he's a complete [censored], and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De'Arnise
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

Yeah I know my spoken english is terrible :)

It's mostly because I still have problems to announce "r" in some words and that messes up my talk and stuff :)
But anyway I think it will get better simply by doing more commentaries. I'll be doing them in future + more "how to play" posts. Now I kinda have other stuff to do + I just got my comp run starcraft 2! + I lended my friends guitar hero (I've been bashing the drums like crazy).

On top of all I have huge problems managing my time :) which makes me just usually waste lot of time not doing much, but once I get my daily life back on track (hopefully soon) again I'm sure I'll do more stuff and more wesnoth related stuff.

Tho I don't know how much time I have to play ladder.

Anyway thanks you so much for feedback Kraus, I try improve the commentating. I know it's awful atm but I'll try improve.

Btw any1 knows good recording program for windows? :D
neki

Post by neki »

Hi there!

Great initiative Huumy! I think it is cool and I didn't know about it until after I built my own Wesnoth commentary channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/brutalwesnoth

Add me as friend, please! And please give some feedback so I can learn some tricks from your casting experience. By the way, guys, what do u think ? :)

Brutal cheers!

neki
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

neki wrote:Hi there!

Great initiative Huumy! I think it is cool and I didn't know about it until after I built my own Wesnoth commentary channel:

Add me as friend, please! And please give some feedback so I can learn some tricks from your casting experience. By the way, guys, what do u think ?

Brutal cheers!

neki
Thanks a lot :).
But I think your commentaries are way better than mine... and btw I love your voice and flow :)
So I don't have any tricks I can teach to you but I'm so glad to see good quality commentaries.

These are really good videos to learn from and I think any new wesnoth players who have hard time in 1v1 games should see these.

Edit: The channel's drake background is awesome :D

2Edit: The more I'm watching the more I like the commentaries you have such good english and your funny ':)
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

neki wrote:Hi there!

Add me as friend, please! And please give some feedback so I can learn some tricks from your casting experience. By the way, guys, what do u think ? :)

Brutal cheers!

neki
You really have skill as speaker, neki. Very nice voice, fun and interesting speech (moments like: "omg, I killed his mage" were so great :lol2:) If you want more feedback I suggest you create a thread on this forum with a link to your videos. I, btw, wont make an account on you tube (I am not sure why, but I dont like have accounts everywhere), and may be I am not the only one whose feedback could be stoped for that.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II