Thank you from a new player

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WombatDeath

Thank you from a new player

Post by WombatDeath »

Hi,

I registered for this forum because I just wanted to say thank you to everyone involved in creating this game. I started playing BfW last week, and I'm hooked to an extent that I haven't felt since I ran into Master of Magic back in the stone age. I'd post more fulsome praise but I think I might have a shot at getting my first Silver Mage this evening so, well, you know how it goes.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned this game is a shining example of what a bunch of talented people can do under the free/open-source model, and I take my figurative hat off to all of you. Thank you!
Captain_Wrathbow

Re: Thank you from a new player

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Great to see you enjoying the game too, and welcome to the forums! :D
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

This pleases me because it echoes my excitement at first finding the game. Have fun, WombatDeath.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Just found Wesnoth? Then you have years of fun to look forward to. Welcome to the forums!
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic »

Same here, in fact. I random'd my first game and got Drakes versus Loyalists.

God, that was hard.

I think I really fell for this game when I still won that matchup despite the mess of piercing damage they had by flanking the crap out of my opponent and villageharassing him while alternating Saurians/Drakes on the push/hold.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Pandarsenic wrote:Same here, in fact. I random'd my first game and got Drakes versus Loyalists.

God, that was hard.

I think I really fell for this game when I still won that matchup despite the mess of piercing damage they had by flanking the crap out of my opponent and villageharassing him while alternating Saurians/Drakes on the push/hold.
Yes, the multiplayer devs have really honed the competitive balance in Wesnoth so that there are all kinds of strategies and counter-strategies.

One of the best things about Wesnoth is the way that it's constantly being polished, refined, and improved. And that's just the core game - there's a whole world out there of user-generated content that takes the game in new and interesting directions. :D
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

Pandarsenic wrote:Same here, in fact. I random'd my first game and got Drakes versus Loyalists.

God, that was hard.

Frankly, if you already got the grasp, in your first game, that piercing damage of loyalists would be a problem against the drakes you control and that you got a mobility edge over you opponent, you'll probably get over it and understand the mechanics of the game faster than the average player. At least faster than me...
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic »

I had a bit of an oshit moment the first time I saw a Spearman. I had done the tutorial and the first two and a half missions of the campaign, so I had an understanding of the do-or-die Charge mechanic and the importance of mobile healers, day/night phases, etc.

So I start the game and I look at my leader and I'm like "Sweet, he does a ton of fire damage but isn't too shabby on melee either. He'll be relatively safe if I get flanked." *Not yet realizing that if drakes are being flanked something is going wrong*

I look at my units and I'm like "Man, resistance to everything but pierce and arcane. Mages do fire damage, so..." *Scrolls down and sees max defense is 40%* ಠ_ಠ

Theeeeeeeen I started explosive expansion, using superior scouting and line of sight to manipulate, etc. After seeing my initial recruits folding under the attacks of the much cheaper Spearman at day, I basically went "All right, Burners, Clashers, and Saurians from here out."

I've since branched out to Northerners and Undead; I'm better with Northerners, so at the moment I'm trying to improve my UD game. My last undead match was a funtastic game fight with the Rebels, where I got a promoted Ghost because he survived so many encounters and vultured a kill or two. That was a bucket of lulz (Holy [censored] 7 movement Skirmisher with Backstab? Yes please! Just gotta keep it away from mages, deeeerp).