Are orcish assassins and slayers bugged?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gaaren

Are orcish assassins and slayers bugged?

Post by Gaaren »

Hey all.

So wesnoth say that when used offensively they always have a 60% chance to hit. Is there a possibility of it being bugged to work while defending as well?
Because every single time I attack an orcish assassin or slayer, I get poisened (very rarely I don't). Is it bugged or is it my bad luck fooling with me again?
Bellerophon

Re: Are orcish assassins and slayers bugged?

Post by Bellerophon »

Heeheeheeh, you will learn, young one. :eng: They is not bugged, just your luck playing trix on you.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Maybe you are standing on a 40% defense hex?

Although, yes, it's probably luck.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Even if you attack from 60% defensive terrain, your chance to dodge all three attacks is about 20%, so getting poisoned about 4 out of 5 times would be about average. If you have an elusive unit attacking from 70% defense (a footpad, for instance, or another assassin), your chance to dodge all three attacks and escape un-poisoned only goes up to about 33%, so you can expect to still get poisoned 2 out of 3 times.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Generally, however, if you're attacking a slayer or assassin in ranged, you're probably doing it wrong. Melee is better, unless you're using Marksman or Magical yourself.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

thespaceinvader wrote:Generally, however, if you're attacking a slayer or assassin in ranged, you're probably doing it wrong. Melee is better, unless you're using Marksman or Magical yourself.
Yes, in fact using a mage against an orcish assassin is a sure-fire way to kill them. Of course, retreat them to a village immediately afterwards.
Gaaren

Post by Gaaren »

Hulavuta wrote:Maybe you are standing on a 40% defense hex?

Although, yes, it's probably luck.
I'm talking elves in a forest here, mostly rangers, druids and sorceresses which all have 70% def in forest. I usually get hit 2/3 of their attacks, I guess it's just bad luck. :)
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Caphriel wrote:If you have an elusive unit attacking from 70% defense (a footpad, for instance, or another assassin), your chance to dodge all three attacks and escape un-poisoned only goes up to about 33%, so you can expect to still get poisoned 2 out of 3 times.
Gaaren wrote:I'm talking elves in a forest here, mostly rangers, druids and sorceresses which all have 70% def in forest. I usually get hit 2/3 of their attacks, I guess it's just bad luck. :)
Either bad luck or mathematics, one of the two. More precisely, with 70% defense it's 34.3% unpoisoned, 65.7% poisoned.
Gaaren

Post by Gaaren »

Maiklas3000 wrote:
Caphriel wrote:If you have an elusive unit attacking from 70% defense (a footpad, for instance, or another assassin), your chance to dodge all three attacks and escape un-poisoned only goes up to about 33%, so you can expect to still get poisoned 2 out of 3 times.
Gaaren wrote:I'm talking elves in a forest here, mostly rangers, druids and sorceresses which all have 70% def in forest. I usually get hit 2/3 of their attacks, I guess it's just bad luck. :)
Either bad luck or mathematics, one of the two. More precisely, with 70% defense it's 34.3% unpoisoned, 65.7% poisoned.
It's really a 65.7% chance to get poisoned on 70% def terrain (with 3 attacks of course)? O_o I guess my bad luck isn't that special after all.

On another note: iso tips to beat DM - The return of trouble
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Gaaren wrote:It's really a 65.7% chance to get poisoned on 70% def terrain (with 3 attacks of course)? O_o I guess my bad luck isn't that special after all.
It is indeed. You have a 0.7 chance to avoid each attack. There are three attacks. The odds of avoiding all three are thus 0.7*0.7*0.7=0.343, or 34.3%. The chance of being hit by one or more attacks, and thus poisoned, is 65.7%.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Daxion

Post by Daxion »

Assassins and slayers are ranged marksmen, and with that you have a maximum of 40% chance of avoiding their shots. So 2 out of 3 doesn't sound unrealistic.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Daxion wrote:Assassins and slayers are ranged marksmen, and with that you have a maximum of 40% chance of avoiding their shots. So 2 out of 3 doesn't sound unrealistic.
Only on offense though. The OP is talking about when defending.