Battle for Wesnoth shown on a PC gaming site

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TehTux

Battle for Wesnoth shown on a PC gaming site

Post by TehTux »

Hi all,

First post and all, and I know that this looks like spam just bare with me. I ran across this PC site, two things caught my eye:

1. You can buy machines pre-installed with Ubuntu 10.04 (for free mind you :) )
2. You can select an Ubuntu game pack (again, for free) that includes Battle for Wesnoth!

Pretty cool huh? Yes, Battle for Wesnoth is free anyway and cross platform, but the fact that this site is showing it as a free tickable option is pretty cool - the number of PC builders out there that have Linux (in this case Ubuntu) as a option is small, I don't think I've EVER seen one that gives you an option to have games included too :D

Link to the site: http://pcg4m3r.com/
Link to the game pack: http://pcg4m3r.com/gamingpackages/

P.S. I'm not associated with the site btw :geek:
sur.nhm

Re: Battle for Wesnoth shown on a PC gaming site

Post by sur.nhm »

Cool! I'm sure the devs will like this :D
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

*thumbs up*
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

That's really cool! Great for publicizing the project, too. Thanks for sharing this with the community. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
TehTux

Post by TehTux »

artisticdude wrote:That's really cool! Great for publicizing the project, too. Thanks for sharing this with the community. :)
No problem - I'm really amped that a company is really backing Linux (Ubuntu in this case) and gaming on Linux, especially putting up a gaming pack against things like MW2, L4D etc!

I did notice that the image isn't linking to the Battle for Wesnoth homepage - maybe a dev needs to email them and ask for a link to the site.
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

It's good to see small time* custom PC builders providing open-source alternatives in their choices. Heck, I'd wish NCIX--the biggest online computer hardware retailer here in Canada--would offer something similar to this in their custom built PCs.

* I said a small shop because this is by no means a "PC gaming site", even as the name pcg4m3r would suggest othewise. A search on alexa.com gave me the site rating of 26,609,925, while wesnoth.org sits at 68,624. It is also worth noting that this is most likely a one-man owned business, judging by the lack of an official telephone number which a mobile number is currently used as a placeholder (see footnote). I've also taken the liberty of looking up the ABN number, which lists the business entity as an "Individual/Sole Trader".
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
TehTux

Post by TehTux »

cool evil wrote:* I said a small shop because this is by no means a "PC gaming site", even as the name pcg4m3r would suggest othewise. A search on alexa.com gave me the site rating of 26,609,925, while wesnoth.org sits at 68,624.
Something must be going well for them as they're now have an Alexa Traffic Rank of 13,956,619. :D

But yes, does look like a niche operation :)