[Request]Karma-ish luck system

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Re: [Request]Karma-ish luck system

Post by krotop »

Zachron wrote:No hit probability less than 40% is in most cases the same as no defense rating greater than 60%.
Ok, I think I got that already. Still, the contradiction was for me that in the 1st sentence I quoted, you imply that Hit Karma will be gained if the unit has 40% cth, while in the 2nd sentence, you imply that Hit Karma will be gained when the unit has more than 60% cth. This is were the explanation sounds bogus, unless, again, I misunderstood what you were saying.
Zachron wrote:The Dodge mechanic is based on a Defense rating of 50% or better, which means it would be gained against attacks with 50% hit probability or less. There is meant to be overlap in that regard.
I don't see the overlap, all I see is that high defense units can benefit from Dodge Karma, and can not be penalized by receiving an Auto-Hit from the Hit Karma of their opponent (if Hit Karma is gained only when the cth is greater than 60%).
Zachron wrote:If the mechanic extended to all hit probabilities then it would undercut the very premise of my proposition.
That is true, please be certain I'm not trying to spoil your proposition, but on the contrary proposing changes to it for what I believe to be an improvement. Also, please remember that undercutting the karma system is what you did when you opened the thread while I had already presented my version, though I am quite certain it was with good intentions in mind.
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

I must concede that, to propose my version I was undercutting yours. Although I did not actually open this thread, Gambit did so by splitting this off its parent thread so to speak. As such I do need to hurry and get the GNA submission made. (Hopefully it will be Monday at the latest)
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Krotop I can try split yours out if you want. Shoot me a pm.

I took the initiative on Zachron's because he had his fully thought out (specific numbers formulas and everything) and there was a decent number of posts related soley to his proposal, and that number was still growing.

My apologies if that offended anyone.
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

Not to mention that my proposal will by no means keep anyone else's from coming into existence, especially since all such proposals are to be implemented as part of an experimental option setup.
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

@Gambit : I know there was no malice from Zachron bringing up his idea, or from you Gambit. What I suspect is that when Zachron proposed his idea he hadn't aknowledged or understood what I had said already, and that when you bumped his idea, you did not have understood what I had said either. It may have been my fault too for not extending into details of my proposition, in fear to scare people away with numbers or formula (something I believe to have happened some years ago, when I firstly mentioned that idea). Anyway, I took no offense from how that thread started, it was just some accident.

What is not being an accident, however, is that the 2 versions of a per-unit karma system are purposedly being split into 2 different projects. Me and Zachron are having the same goal of diminishing streaks of success or failure from RNG, using the same base principle of a per-unit karma system. I think it would not be a good idea to request twice the amount of work to the people who would potentially include the option, instead of comparing the 2 versions to see the pros and cons of each, and find a single solution that takes the best out of the 2 karma system proposed. Separating those projects and not working together is the best way to have both of them rejected.

[off-topic]I'll be silent for a few days due to RL business[/off-topic]
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

And on that note, I will not be doing any more work on mine except to submit it. Any more work I do on Karma systems will be to evaluate Krotop's system and see what I can make of it. (Since I did grossly misread it to start with) Depending on the ease of coding per availability of coders, we could code the two systems separately and/or mix features from both.