What happened to thugs?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

shadowm
Site Administrator

Re: What happened to thugs?

Post by shadowm » May 1st, 2010, 12:31 am

Except that thugs are cheaper than ghosts or dark adepts... :roll: And skeletons are cheaper than those but more expensive than thugs.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.

Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus » May 1st, 2010, 12:35 am

Couldn't their stats have been rebalanced instead of being completely removed from MP default? More cost? Less damage? Less hp or resists or dodge or something? I personally like less dodge myself.

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk » May 1st, 2010, 1:06 am

Maybe but why would any of these changes be appropriate or good? Aside from that I doubt that deceasing thug evasion would affect its ability to survive adepts and ghosts all that much.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."

monochromatic

Post by monochromatic » May 1st, 2010, 1:19 am

Also, I feel if the thug is downgraded it will just become a second-rate fighter compared to the other factions besides undead. It just happens to be particularly useful against undead.

Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta » May 1st, 2010, 2:32 am

BTW, you CAN recruit Thugs if you pick a certain leader if you play the "Spam Era" by the guy above me, which is a horribly balanced era that is nonetheless extremely fun to play.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra

monochromatic

Post by monochromatic » May 1st, 2010, 2:42 am

Hulavuta wrote:BTW, you CAN recruit Thugs if you pick a certain leader if you play the "Spam Era" by the guy above me, which is a horribly balanced era that is nonetheless extremely fun to play.
It's horribly balanced because it would take AGES to balance. Seriously.

Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta » May 1st, 2010, 3:06 am

Trust me, I know.... and, Actually it's impossible to balance, since their is only 1 unit per faction.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra

Caphriel

Post by Caphriel » May 1st, 2010, 1:15 pm

Molean wrote:I would say undead have a advantage against the knalgan alliance, since that faction lacks any kind of fire or arcane damage, which makes their ghost unit especially useful. If someone spams thugs, you spam ghosts and dark adepts.
Look back in the archives a bit for a thread discussing ulfs+footpads against the undead.

Molean

Post by Molean » May 4th, 2010, 12:05 am

Well, with knalgan alliance lacking healers and fire/arcane, ghosts and gouls can have a field day with them. Especially since knalgan units like are so slow, if you make dwarvish thunderers, the vaulted counter to ghosts (that even then still aren't all that effective.) those units are one of those slow units and if poisoned, have a hell of a time getting back to a town to get cured if deep into enemy lines (and meanwhile are losing bucket-loads of health)

If you make footpads, dark adepts can have a field day with them.

Undead have lots of reasons to build nonskeletons against knalgans even without thugs as a option. Knalgan deserve every bit of advantage they can get against undead.

I played two games knalgan verses undead recently. I lost the first game which I made some stupid mistakes, I won the second game, but only because I focused more into the game, was higher skilled then my opponent, and a bit lucky.

If one wanted to balance thugs against undead, just make them slightly slower, then the undead poisoning is more effective.

I am going to make a suggestion thread to bring back thugs.

Caphriel

Post by Caphriel » May 4th, 2010, 12:41 am

I watched you play Knalgan against Undead on Fallenstar Lake recently. I don't know whether that's one of the games you're talking about and if you won it or lost it (I had to leave before the end), but, and I'm sorry to be blunt, you didn't play well. If you post replays of your games, people will be happy to provide pointers, though.

Edit: Try playing the matchup from the other side. If the Undead have an advantage against Knalgans, you should be able to win handily. I'll be happy to play Knalgan against your Undead.

Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel » May 6th, 2010, 1:14 pm

The knalgans have so much impact that their lack of fire does not really matter vs. undead. And two good hits with a thunderstick or a few pachers knock a ghost out.
You are a Necromancer - Intelligent and powerful, yet reclusive and misunderstood, you dabble in dark arts that everyone else can only dream of.