WSRSW (voting on scenarios and campaigns)

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

norbert

WSRSW (voting on scenarios and campaigns)

Post by norbert »

(April 14, 2010) I hereby announce the launch of a website that allows Wesnoth players to comment on, vote on and favorite scenarios and campaigns. This is an unofficial project and, since people have different tastes, this is a subjective rating system.

http://www.wsrsw.org/

Over 500 scenarios/campaigns are already available for your voting pleasure. The (full-size) screenshots usually give you an impression of what the first turn will show you when Fog Of War and Shroud are turned off. The search page allows you to find out things like what two-player campaigns exist. The addon pages can be used to figure out what map pack a scenario is in.

To those who want to give feedback:
- Please read the FAQ first.
- In this thread, please do not ask how to download/install/play addons.
- I will be unaware of feedback in other threads.
- Requests for adding/updating/correcting addons: please only e-mail those.
- I'm Dutch, so I live at GMT+2.

I hope, in time, the project adds something useful to the Wesnoth community. :)
norbert

Re: WSRSW (voting on scenarios and campaigns)

Post by norbert »

Update: please do not private message me on this forum, thanks.
Last edited by norbert on September 16th, 2010, 8:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Very cool!
This map's author is "Light". She did a super job on it.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Neat idea! You did a good job setting this up too.
Good job! :D
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Yay, my campaign is on there! XD thanks to whoever voted it 3.0 in enjoyability. May I recommend changing the difficulty part to like a "Easy, Medium, Hard" kind of thing? The stars system gives it a kind of a "if it's not this hard it's not good" connotation.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
norbert

Post by norbert »

Hulavuta wrote:May I recommend changing the difficulty part to like a "Easy, Medium, Hard" kind of thing? The stars system gives it a kind of a "if it's not this hard it's not good" connotation.
Done, it's now a bar that fills up.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I really like this idea. Very nice job, norbert. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Luke the Flaming

Post by Luke the Flaming »

About the initial (already quite long!) list of maps and campaigns, etc.: would not it be wiser to separate SP campaigns from MP maps from any other meaningful category? or at least to have a way to filter them easily... as of today, I'm interested only in SP content, but browsing the index is a chore.

Godd luck with the project! :)
O, Wind, if Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?
norbert

Post by norbert »

Luke the Flaming wrote:I'm interested only in SP content, but browsing the index is a chore.
Press the binocular icon in the top left corner. It will take you to:
http://www.wsrsw.org/search.php
There, select "# Players:1" and - if you wish - "Type: campaign".
Luke the Flaming

Post by Luke the Flaming »

norbert wrote:
Luke the Flaming wrote:I'm interested only in SP content, but browsing the index is a chore.
Press the binocular icon in the top left corner. It will take you to:
http://www.wsrsw.org/search.php
There, select "# Players:1" and - if you wish - "Type: campaign".
Ah, nice.
Thanks (I now have little excuse to not register and rate...).
O, Wind, if Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

very neat :D . fyi, 4-in-1 no longer exists.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

I don't see my one add-on but it had become very... problematic "so to say" for awhile... "Unwelcome Guests Series". I am working on it at the moment but, if you need a screenshot, I can supply you with one if need be... As for some of my other addons, I removed a lot of them anyway... I would at least like to see UGS on the list at least.
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
norbert

Post by norbert »

spookymagician wrote:I would at least like to see UGS on the list at least.
From the FAQ: "If you want to suggest a scenario or campaign, it has to work in 1.8 and has to be available via addons.wesnoth.org." As far as I can tell, UGS is not available for 1.6 or 1.8. After you've added a working version to the 1.8 addon server, it should be up on WSRSW in a day or two. All 1.6 scenarios and campaigns that were added to the 1.6 addon server before 1.8 was released have already been added. UGS is basically unavailable to Wesnoth users at the moment, which - probably - means it's not being played, and that means Wesnoth users won't feel like voting on it. Really, it should be up in a day or two after you've uploaded it to the 1.8 addon server. :wink:
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

I am sorry. I didn't notice those links up there in the corner. As far as the comment is concerned, that is fine. It was playable in the past... Although, ever since early 1.7 and 1.8... it became the re-developmental stage. It may be some time until then. Although, I'll upload it eventually... Thanks.
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
grrr

Post by grrr »

Nice project. Now prepare for feedback, grrr-style:

1. No login. For simple voting, cookies are more than enough. Cheating can be countered in others ways, but most of all - the Wesnoth community is build on trust, your project should be, too.
2. Allow (anon) comments. Yes, needs a captcha. Use this one: http://recaptcha.net/
3. Dont open new windows for scenario descriptions. It's annoying.
4. Dont fix the layout into some box, let it flow freely. Some of us use big screens, or just like being able to resize the browser when the contents resize, too. It is annoying that 67% of the screen width is wasted with graphics (which might be nice to look at, but if that was your aim you could have created a flickr album).
5. Provide a direct download link, with minimal instructions (can all be found here in the forum already, but still - it would not harm.
6. Unit overview - if an campaign introduces new units/eras it would be nice to extract that info, too. There must be some scripts for that already.
7. Registration should be available for add-on maintainers, if at all. Personally, I would just integrate some simple wiki for additional add-on info. But an extra page with markdown formatting support (http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/) would be a very good start already. And yes, I really think this page should be freely editable (of course, needs spam protection).
8. The changelog belongs into an extra page, hidden behind some link. There is no reason to waste the most prominent space with it.
9. The white background color for your links is annoying, when everything else is in this light baby blue. You might want to ask an artist here to help you with the CSS.
10. Put the rating information for the add-ons into the frontpage list, people are impatient. An 6/9 points would be nice. If you make it a 10 point scale, you can display a nice percent bar even. Just make the rating information (summarized) quickly available to the visitor of your website, as this is the *main purpose* of it.