[April Fool's] How much would you be willing to pay...

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

How much would you be willing to pay for premium Wesnoth service?

$19.99/year USD
32%
$9.99/year USD
5%
$3.99/month USD
3%
I'm not paying for Wesnoth
61%

Total votes: 104

Captain_Wrathbow

Re: How much would you be willing to pay for premium Wesnoth?

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

How could anyone doubt that this is an April Fool's joke? :augh:
Come on, guys! :roll:

Notice that the devs haven't said anything about you two deciding that it's a joke. :wink:
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Dave wrote:Remember, no other game does anything like this. Most other games have AI's that are too crappy to ever take perform cheating with RNG manipulation. This is why the truly advanced AI's available are for games like chess -- because in such games there are no random numbers so the AI can't cheat. We're breaking new ground by trying to provide a game with an advanced AI, and an RNG, yet keeping the RNG safe from the AI.
Yes, we have to do this to prevent the WesnothAI from eventually replacing SkyNet as the "really evil AI". Right now the AI code seems to already be able to do spontaneous mutations which allows it to use RNG cheats that were never meant to be possible for it. Beware of SkyNet 2.0 aka "the advanced WesnothAI".
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:How could anyone doubt that this is an April Fool's joke?
Expect the worst and you won't be disappointed. I'd rather believe this and laugh at myself later than not believe in it and get the shock of my life later on... but it is interesting the devs haven't said anything about this.... (hint, hint)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

While it is just being announced now, oddly enough the developers have known about these changes for some time now.

I have already started working on a WML Support Premium patch that will offer exclusive services for the Wesnoth "Premium" users.

The way it works is fairly simple: if the scenario you are running encounters a WML error of any sort (or a parse error while loading), it will pause the execution of the program and dial up a WML Support Wizard. In the initial patch I just have it dialing up zookeeper's cellphone, but eventually we could set up a whole Call Center if the feature becomes popular enough. This brings up a prompt that lets zookeeper essentially log into your computer and fix your WML code in real-time. If he's fast enough, you may not even notice that any error has occurred.

There are still a few details to work out such as pricing, but it's basically ready.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Sapient wrote:The way it works is fairly simple: if the scenario you are running encounters a WML error of any sort (or a parse error while loading), it will pause the execution of the program and dial up a WML Support Wizard. In the initial patch I just have it dialing up zookeeper's cellphone, but eventually we could set up a whole Call Center if the feature becomes popular enough. This brings up a prompt that lets zookeeper essentially log into your computer and fix your WML code in real-time. If he's fast enough, you may not even notice that any error has occurred.
OMG imagine how convenient for Wesnoth iPhone users! This is a must.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Then no april fool's day joke, I'm afraid. Thought not. I'm sure the developers know better than I do, but I still have my doubts... Wesnoth has always seemed so 'clean' to me, and now there's premium editions and monthly/yearly fees and such...
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
King_Elendil

Post by King_Elendil »

I can't believe this, the game I got two years ago only because it was free, is now starting to try to become a comercial game :cry: . It started with the iPhone (excusable), but now this! IMO this is not right. I do hope that the devs come out and say "Best April fools joke I've ever pulled in my life! :lol2: ".

Edit:
Dave wrote:We are also talking with our artists about making a free t-shirt available for paying members. Something amusing like "real (wo)men play with real random numbers" complete with an illustration of millions of web pages floating into a vortex which mashes them around and pops out random numbers -- a pleasing illustration of how our new RNG will actually work.
This really makes me think that this is all an April fools day joke. If not, Dave I think you are working a little too hard and need a vacation.
Last edited by King_Elendil on April 2nd, 2010, 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm finally admitting that this will be a very long (if not permanent) Wesbreak. Thank y'all for the great times, and may Wesnoth rise to become one of the most popular games on the planet.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

Sigh. Anyone who really still believes this at this point has more issue that I care to mention. If I were you, I would just wait until tomorrow.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

artisticdude wrote:Then no april fool's day joke, I'm afraid. Thought not.
I really hope its a joke. But for that to be the case its looking increasingly like the whole Dev. staff would have to be in on it.
I'm sure the developers know better than I do,
Don't assume so. Having a title doesn't nessissarily make you smarter. And being a better programer/artist/whatever doesn't nessissarily mean you know anything about financial decisions.
but I still have my doubts... Wesnoth has always seemed so 'clean' to me, and now there's premium editions and monthly/yearly fees and such...
I really think it would be a bad idea, if only because it would anger so much of the fan base.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

next step: now add-on authors can charge money too! :lol2:
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
King_Elendil

Post by King_Elendil »

Pentarctagon wrote:next step: now add-on authors can charge money too! :lol2:
:lol2: Better start working on one quick then! :lol2:
I'm finally admitting that this will be a very long (if not permanent) Wesbreak. Thank y'all for the great times, and may Wesnoth rise to become one of the most popular games on the planet.
Pp2

Post by Pp2 »

Well, if it is an april fool or not do not matter at all because the game is open sources, so even if they were asking you money to simply lauch the game, you would be abble to legaly hack the sources and compile it to pay a monthly fee of 0 $ :roll: . Oh, and the new AI is really smart, since I installed wesnoth 1.8, my computer is autoprogramming himsself and speak of plot to take over the world, nice job!!! :shock:
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Pentarctagon wrote:next step: now add-on authors can charge money too! :lol2:
As a writer, I find it only fair to ask if this new idea of paying artists would extend to writers. :D
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Even if we we began getting charged to play, we'd all get it for free anyway, off ThePirateBay or something.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Pp2

Post by Pp2 »

Hulavuta wrote:Even if we we began getting charged to play, we'd all get it for free anyway, off ThePirateBay or something.
ERROR: We would get it free and legaly on the wesnoth.org site as they are forced to give us accest to the source code unless they manage to relicense the game.