[April Fool's] Wesnoth Random Number Generator Changes

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Wesnoth Random Number Generator Changes

Post by Dave »

doofus-01 wrote:Finally! Premium service! Will this be extended to the i-Phone?
The new random numbers will be, however the mprotect() of memory to protect segments of the memory from interference by the AI will not be possible to implement on the iPhone.

Fortunately the AI also has a limited CPU to use on the iPhone so we are hoping it won't be able to calculate the possibility of manipulating the RNG there.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Ardent

Post by Ardent »

Well, since I like physics a lot more then computers...how about making a RNG based off nuclear decay?
You know, like taking radioactive material, a geiger counter or something...perhaps a lot of radioactive material and several geiger counters - from what we know there is no way of determining the outcome of a single measurment, but we know pretty well the count of impulses in a time period long enough. And it is pretty hard to argue with quantum physics. Such a generator could be also used for commercial purposes, thus enabling wesnoth as a free game not split into premium and free versions.
Just my 2 cents.
You are an Orcish Grunt: cheap, powerful, but effective.
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Ardent wrote:Well, since I like physics a lot more then computers...how about making a RNG based off nuclear decay?
You know, like taking radioactive material, a geiger counter or something...perhaps a lot of radioactive material and several geiger counters - from what we know there is no way of determining the outcome of a single measurment, but we know pretty well the count of impulses in a time period long enough. And it is pretty hard to argue with quantum physics. Such a generator could be also used for commercial purposes, thus enabling wesnoth as a free game not split into premium and free versions.
Just my 2 cents.
Ssshh! Don't let the community know that or we won't be able to steal all there money!!!
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Dave wrote: We are thinking of having several levels. For 99.99% accurate numbers you can pay $9.99 a month, for 99.9999% accuracy, you can pay $19.99 a month. We'd give a first month free trial to all users.
of course i want 99.999999% accuracy, even if that is a bit expensive.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

So, would users only have to pay until all the necessary ground has been covered (servers updated, repaired, etc.), or would this become a permanent thing?
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

also, how would users' hours be tallied for basic wesnoth (by username/ip/something else?) and what would be the priority for who/what gets paid first/second/etc?
Last edited by Pentarctagon on April 1st, 2010, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Will the Premium service allow us to use RNG in base 16? If so, then I’m totally sold!
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Upon further consideration of the proposal... well done Dave.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
boru

Post by boru »

I've been playing this game a long time (hours in fact), and I always say to myself "these numbers simply aren't random enough." THANK YOU FOR FINALLY FIXING THIS!!!

What if the AI gets onto the internet too (in the form of a virus, for example)? Could the AI manipulate the new RNG from there? I'm suspecting THIS HAS ALREADY HAPPENED because my capslock KEY seems to have a mind of its OWN this afternoon. Could be the aI has already taken over my computer. I tried installing mprotect() but I keep getting an error message that says YOU'RE TOO LATE AHAHAHA ... what could this mean?

When I recruit mages, I've noticed that the sidebar stats no longer report they have 70% chance to hit. It now says "70% or thereabouts." :shock:
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

boru wrote:When I recruit mages, I've noticed that the sidebar stats no longer report they have 70% chance to hit. It now says "70% or thereabouts." :shock:
ROFL
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

...so this new RNG thing isn't an April Fool's joke? :o :|

But I sure hope the non-free "premium wesnoth" is a joke. That one is just absolutely ridiculous.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

ilor wrote:
artisticdude wrote:So does this mean, should this feature ever get implemented, that you will have to be connected to the internet whenever you want to play single-player campaigns in wesnoth? That could be problematic for those of us with a usage limit...
Keep in mind that the server will be downloading and checksumming the webpages, and will only send you the resulting random numbers. It's not a ot of data, shouldn't be more than several megabytes per month even if you play a lot.
Please provide a way to download a block of random numbers at once for later use, so you don't have to be online the whole time playing. (Yes, there are also time-based contracts, not only traffic based ones.)
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Along these lines, when the game is idle, like when I have to go to the bathroom, can I have Wesnoth contribute to finding new, largest-yet prime numbers? I figure, with this new and improved, fail-safe random number generator that it could be very good at guessing really high prime numbers. It'd certainly give the rest of the sequential searching science community a run for their money!
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Kymille

Post by Kymille »

Ardent wrote:Well, since I like physics a lot more then computers...how about making a RNG based off nuclear decay?
Just my 2 cents.
Next year Dave should definitely post that all wesnoth users are required to have a kilogram of radium next to their computer to improve the RNG.
Pp2

Post by Pp2 »

Kymille wrote:
Just my 2 cents.
Next year Dave should definitely post that all wesnoth users are required to have a kilogram of radium next to their computer to improve the RNG.
No, I do that since I have started playing wesnoth in the time of 1.0.x and the AI now have a QI of about 99124 and is already designing the next generation of quantic processor number generator (along with the plutonium needed to supply your computer energy while playing wesnoth.)