Noob question.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CreepyEyes

Noob question.

Post by CreepyEyes »

Hey guys, a newbie. great game 8) . I was wondering if someone could answer me a question? Can you go back turns an unlimited amount of times? Doesn't this make the game a bit inconsequential? easy? :augh: or, does it depend on the difficulty?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Noob question.

Post by Pentarctagon »

yes, you can reload as many times as you want. though imo reloading makes it not particularly fun to play.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

Speak for yourself. Reloading has actually made me a better player. When thing turn out not so well, I can go back and figure out where and how I went wrong. It almost becomes a puzzle game within the game sometimes, as I discover how one seemingly small inconsequential move can sometimes change the course of an entire battle.

And in most games you can save and load whenever you want, so I see no reason to worry about what effects it might have. A lot of the better players refuse to reload at all.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

You do need to set the preferences appropriately, however - there's a slider that sets how many turns are stored in autosaves - it defaults to 10 IIRC - set it to infinite.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

that go back to turn X feature is just a time-saving method for the usual save/relaod thingy.

you can anyway also manually save your game every turn (and even several times a turn) and reload it if you want.
and yes, reloading makes the game easier, but its pretty much standard to be abe to do that.

it would be more worse not to be able to save/load your game progress.

so i dont understand what you are complaining about - to be able to save (and reload) your game ? thats standard in every good game.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
CreepyEyes

Post by CreepyEyes »

yes exactly. whats the point in worrying about the consequences to anything if you can go back in time? Atleast saving requires you to put some effort in. much more of a challenge if the game limited you to a certain amount of saves. no offense or anything, but I just cant see the point if I can undo all my mistakes. surely that isnt a hard viewpoint to understand.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

so basically either a) choose not to save/load or b) dont let the gave auto save.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

In that case, I'd advise you to turn off the autosave function altogether; that way, you'll only have your start-of-scenario save, and any saves you explicitly make. That's better practice for multiplayer, certainly.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
TheHouseJackBuilt

Post by TheHouseJackBuilt »

Hmm its not like someone is forcing u to use that option :P

To consider my self that i have beaten a scenario i will have to do it from start to finish without saveloading. I do allow myself to restart the scenario if things go really bad. Anyone is free to use or not to use save as they want.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

CreepyEyes wrote:Atleast saving requires you to put some effort in. much more of a challenge if the game limited you to a certain amount of saves. no offense or anything, but I just cant see the point if I can undo all my mistakes. surely that isnt a hard viewpoint to understand.
umm, it requires even some effort to LOAD a save.
its not that if you make a mistake theres an auto-load function.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
CreepyEyes

Post by CreepyEyes »

Ya know what, forget it. But it would just be nice to have some record of not using that feature to go back a few turns - I have to feel like a MAN! :oops: I'm sure the Vets would also appreciate it. Maybe stats after each campaign? comparing time taken & so on would be great especially for the ipod version over Openfeint. Yes, I am a genius! :eng: :lol2:
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Or you could also go in multiplayer. No save/loading there :P
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Dixie wrote:Or you could also go in multiplayer. No save/loading there :P
Not quite the truth: Save-loading only with consent of your opponent. (And usually only done to continue a game later, not to repeat something).
Rya

Post by Rya »

There are plenty of good players that just refrain from using this feature.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
oberon

Post by oberon »

I am a noob, but I very quickly found I felt I was cheating if I kept doing it. I pretty much have a set of rules about it now, I reload if:

1) I did something completely stupid that was not part of game strategy - e.g. click the ok button on an attack without checking what attack I was using (e.g. so a mage attacks an an oricsh grunt with staff)
2) I keep getting stick at the same point in a scencario, and it gets boring to keep repeating it from the start.
3) I go back to the start of the scenario.