Host power abuse in isars cross

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

kill
Posts: 13
Joined: March 30th, 2010, 2:44 am

Host power abuse in isars cross

Post by kill »

How should I put this (first of all i hope i am posting in the right section). It was a 2v2 isars game where many things happened and most of observers questioned my streategy, but the reason why I am posting this replay is because the host abused his powers by taking over my side.

The host in question here is Chains. The basic essence of the problem here is him taking over my side even though the game was not complete. Strategy is debatable(I have solid reasons for my moves even though many did not share my views) but his conduct was not.


Edit: I used some foul language in the moment of anger after he took over my side.

Edit 2: Since Chains lost his leader, or in any case if he did not enjoy playing with me he should have handed the control of his side to me rather than take control from me using his host powers.
Attachments
's_Cross_Turn_27_(4284).gz
2v2 isars replay
(44.27 KiB) Downloaded 148 times

User avatar
Pentarctagon
Forum Administrator
Posts: 4221
Joined: March 22nd, 2009, 10:50 pm
Location: Earth (occasionally)

Re: Host power abuse in isars cross

Post by Pentarctagon »

you should have used the /query adminmsg (as mentioned in the chat box when you log onto the server) to report him instead of using the forums.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code

Noy
Inactive Developer
Posts: 1321
Joined: March 13th, 2005, 3:59 pm

Re: Host power abuse in isars cross

Post by Noy »

As I explained to you in the lobby the issue is by no means as clear cut as you claim.

First off you're by no means an innocent player being abused by a host. First off you basically turned a game that was an easy win to one where you were losing. Yes chains did have a bad turn where he lost his leader, but your poor play subsequent to that point turned the situation against your team. Now this on its own shouldn't be reason for getting kicked, however you ignored his advice and that of others. You stated that you weren't trying while the situation deteriorated, which is an acceptable reason to kick someone. By saying so, you are admitting that you're not interested in good gameplay and in fact becoming an disruption through your intentional bad play.

Was it the best approach on the part of chains? Probably not. But then again given how you helped turn the game from a assured victory to a near defeat while saying you weren't trying, I can understand why he would and on occasion would do the same.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.

kill
Posts: 13
Joined: March 30th, 2010, 2:44 am

Re: Host power abuse in isars cross

Post by kill »

Noy wrote:As I explained to you in the lobby the issue is by no means as clear cut as you claim.

First off you're by no means an innocent player being abused by a host. First off you basically turned a game that was an easy win to one where you were losing. Yes chains did have a bad turn where he lost his leader, but your poor play subsequent to that point turned the situation against your team. Now this on its own shouldn't be reason for getting kicked, however you ignored his advice and that of others. You stated that you weren't trying while the situation deteriorated, which is an acceptable reason to kick someone. By saying so, you are admitting that you're not interested in good gameplay and in fact becoming an disruption through your intentional bad play.

Was it the best approach on the part of chains? Probably not. But then again given how you helped turn the game from a assured victory to a near defeat while saying you weren't trying, I can understand why he would and on occasion would do the same.
I never said I was not trying, i said i was not playing serious a couple of times under different circumstances which are very much debatable. They were used like you said when the game was indeed already won. I said "now there is something to fight for" after chains suicided his leader and then started playing seriously.

It was not me who turned the game around and he took control from me when he felt we were losing which is wrong.

User avatar
pauxlo
Posts: 1047
Joined: September 19th, 2006, 8:54 pm

Re: Host power abuse in isars cross

Post by pauxlo »

I think the best thing for you to do is to never play again a game with chains. This spares you much frustration and is more effective than complaining here.
It is only a game, remember.

5dPZ
Posts: 198
Joined: July 11th, 2006, 7:20 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Re: Host power abuse in isars cross

Post by 5dPZ »

I played a lot of games like this where teammate is newbish and get outplayed; but most of the time, I just give my side to my teammate, wish everyone luck and fun and leave the game. I know some people, that in the same situation, would use harsh language on his team to make him quit the game and get control for both sides - which I think is not very nice.

Sangel
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 2232
Joined: March 26th, 2004, 10:58 pm
Location: New York, New York

Re: Host power abuse in isars cross

Post by Sangel »

kill wrote:
Noy wrote:As I explained to you in the lobby the issue is by no means as clear cut as you claim...
...It was not me who turned the game around and he took control from me when he felt we were losing which is wrong.
Not all disputes are appropriate for moderator involvement. As Noy has indicated, there are shades of gray in this issue that make him reluctant to interfere. As such, it's probably best to take it in your stride, and move on.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Mabuse
Posts: 2130
Joined: November 6th, 2007, 1:38 pm

Re: Host power abuse in isars cross

Post by Mabuse »

ahahaha - a bad player who refuses to play seriously whines about getting kicked ?
tbh, i would have kicked you way earlier.

also, the host can pretty much everything he wants, if he dont wants you in his game he can just kick you. this is often not nice. but in this case its of course ok.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.

kill
Posts: 13
Joined: March 30th, 2010, 2:44 am

Re: Host power abuse in isars cross

Post by kill »

Mabuse wrote:ahahaha - a bad player who refuses to play seriously whines about getting kicked ?
tbh, i would have kicked you way earlier.

also, the host can pretty much everything he wants, if he dont wants you in his game he can just kick you. this is often not nice. but in this case its of course ok.
If you name somebody a bad player based on one game, you are not fit to pass a judgement on somone. ANd people like you who do not read the code of conduct of wesnoth mp server before posting(1k posts lol), should be barred from posting.

"All hosts are free to kick or ban players from their game. However that does not mean they're allowed to kick/ban players because they're losing/winning or other similar abusive acts. Use common sense and report violations since moderators won't be investigating otherwise."

Your second paragraph is just arrogant and not worthy of posting standards.

User avatar
Unnheulu
Posts: 738
Joined: November 25th, 2007, 4:50 pm
Location: Cymru
Contact:

Re: Host power abuse in isars cross

Post by Unnheulu »

I havn't read the code of conduct? Does that mean I shouldn't post?

Oh, I don't do mp :P

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor
Posts: 3991
Joined: January 24th, 2007, 12:56 am

Re: Host power abuse in isars cross

Post by Velensk »

How else is he supposed to categorize you for response? If you look at all the indications you have been giving about yourself it is hard to see you any other way.

The better comment would be, why did he feel it necessary to add that to the end of the responces that were much better suited to close the discussion peacefully.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."

Mabuse
Posts: 2130
Joined: November 6th, 2007, 1:38 pm

Re: Host power abuse in isars cross

Post by Mabuse »

@kill:
either you are a noob ("i did the best i could")
or you ruined the game by purpose ("i didnt play good by purpose")

tell me what applies to you in this case -
and then tell me what the heck you are whining about.



@velensk:
because i see this this as a massive attack to my intelligence

if i would ruin a game by purpose i would exspect the game is restarted (without me of course) or i simply get kicked

i absolutely dont get it why the threadmaker posts here, in my eyes this is utterly barefaced, or he is just dumb and seriously feely like he is on the right side -



btw, of course and appropriate answer could have also been:

"get a life, noone cares if you get kicked out of a game - lol"

-----------------------------

EDIT:
Furthermore i know CHAINS, he is around here for a while and NOT known for malicious behaviour. he is interested in playing "serious" (=fun) games.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.

kill
Posts: 13
Joined: March 30th, 2010, 2:44 am

Re: Host power abuse in isars cross

Post by kill »

Mabuse now you have started trolling. I showed you the code of conduct and why what chains did was wrong according to it. No more replies for you and

"get a life, noone cares if you get kicked out of a game - lol"

why the **** are you replying?

Edit:
Obviously since I have made this public I am looking for unbiased/neutral public response to this situation since it was not resolved by a moderator. And you Mabuse by claiming to be a friend of the player involved in this case have no credibility to make any posts here especially when you are full time accusing me in an uncivilised manner.

Mabuse
Posts: 2130
Joined: November 6th, 2007, 1:38 pm

Re: Host power abuse in isars cross

Post by Mabuse »

umm, im not a friend of chains. hes just well known to me, since he is quite some time around you know. unlike you of course.

anyway, i guess you already realized that your thread isnt going anywhere and that nobody really cares. :lol2:


and ignorance is the best you can get, infact i could also start flaming you because it seems to me that you provoked this incident fully intentional to accuse chains, which is malicious in my opinion

but for sure it is ridiculous
so you just made yourself a clown


and this is my unbiased, neutral opinion about this case, i never heard of someone who intentionally plays lame and then whines IN THE FORUM for being kicked on the server.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.

User avatar
Gambit
Loose Screw
Posts: 3266
Joined: August 13th, 2008, 3:00 pm
Location: Dynamica
Contact:

Re: Host power abuse in isars cross

Post by Gambit »

kill wrote:No more replies for you
You're not qualified to say that.
kill wrote:I showed you the code of conduct and why what chains did was wrong according to it.
He didn't kick you *just* because he was losing. He kicked you because you were intentionally making your team lose. This disrupts gameplay. He followed the spirit of the COC imo.

The people who've worked on the COC never imagined the possibility that someone would join a game and purposely play badly, but it is clearly not acceptable behaviour. You've even had one of the best known MP moderators in here saying something quite similar. If it had actually been a breach of COC, Chains would be facing consequences.

WIJAG.

Locked