iPad version support/feedback thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jrecto99

Re: iPad version support/feedback thread

Post by jrecto99 »

Sorry I have to piggy back off this thread but I could not find a forum for just iPad users.

Does anybody know if there is a way to restart a scenario with out having to begin the whole campaign over again on the iPad version?

I deleted my save files from the beginning of the scenario so I can't go back that way.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Jasper
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

In general, you can only continue from a saved point. With debug mode it is possible to move to any scenario, but (1) You wouldn't have any units to recall and only the minimum starting gold and (2) I don't know whether the iPad version supports the debug mode at all.

In "normal Wesnoth" you can activate it by typing ":debug" while in game. For more details on what can be done in Debug mode look at the wiki.
MRC01

Re: Wesnoth for iPad

Post by MRC01 »

AI wrote:The ipad version is based on wesnoth 1.6.3, a release in the previous stable series.
I just downloaded iPad app version 1.5. What PC version(s) is it compatible with for sharing save files?
Still 1.6.3? Just checking cuz Kyle said there were people working on bringing 1.8 to the iPad, and that was > 1 year ago.
Any way to use Dropbox to share the save file, instead of the Wesnoth internet server?
Thanks.
BTW, kudos to Kyle for a great iPad port - beautiful graphics, smooth play & animation, good controls
MRC01

Re: Wesnoth for iPad

Post by MRC01 »

MRC01 wrote:
AI wrote:The ipad version is based on wesnoth 1.6.3, a release in the previous stable series.
I just downloaded iPad app version 1.5. What PC version(s) is it compatible with for sharing save files?
Still 1.6.3? Just checking cuz Kyle said there were people working on bringing 1.8 to the iPad, and that was > 1 year ago.
In case anyone else was wondering the same thing, I got 1.6.5 installed and runnning on my PC, syncing with the iPad. Can now play the same game back and forth between both. Cool!
duck11

Post by duck11 »

Hey guys,

So far I haven't been able to find an answer on this. On the app store for the iPad version, it says it is crossplatform supported for multiplayer between iPad and PC's, but I have no idea how to make this work.

When joining on the PC I get a list of servers to connect to, but the iPad seems to auto connect to a server.

Anyone able to get this working?
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

The iPad's version is at 1.6.3 iirc, and the current wesnoth stable is at 1.8.5. And no, they are not compatible. So, yeah that is just in name since Kyle hasn't updated it yet. You will still be able to play with other iPads/iPhones/iPods though.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

You have to have 1.6.x on your computer.
duck11

Post by duck11 »

Ah kk, I'll try that then and see if I can get them to work.
Gandaar

Post by Gandaar »

Dear Kyle and Wesnoth for Ipad users,

I recently purchased Wesnoth for my new Ipad 2 and am wholly enjoying it. I got started on the desktop version, and I had played it on my friend's Ipod in the past, so I knew it would be satisfying on the Ipad.
However (and much less satisfying), just today I noticed that when I open the app, the load screen comes up for a half a second and then I am sent back to my Ipad home screen. I should also note that this does not happen only on the Wesnoth app; the issue is present on many of my apps. This could mean it is a software problem, but if anyone can help me in any way, I would be very much appreciative!
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Gandaar wrote: However (and much less satisfying), just today I noticed that when I open the app, the load screen comes up for a half a second and then I am sent back to my Ipad home screen. I should also note that this does not happen only on the Wesnoth app; the issue is present on many of my apps. This could mean it is a software problem, but if anyone can help me in any way, I would be very much appreciative!
Since this happens for you with many apps, I'd suggest returning your iPad 2 for a replacement or refund.

Regards,

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
RobthePirate

Post by RobthePirate »

As a long-time player of the PC version, I jumped on the iPad version as soon as I became aware of it. Thank you so much for such a great game! Other than super tiny buttons, my biggest issue involves the lack of support of Multi-tasking. If I have to leave the app for any reason, returning to it involves reloading the whole thing. Any plans to address this?
MRC01

Post by MRC01 »

Gambit wrote:You have to have 1.6.x on your computer.
Any ideas how to get 1.6.5 on Ubuntu 11? Or to get 1.8 on the iPad?
apt-get install wesnoth=1.6.X doesn't work - the binaries aren't there.
I've downloaded the 1.6.5 source and built on my Ubuntu box, but the Wesnoth 1.6.5 build fails due to a known incompatibility with gcc 4.5. It was never fixed because version 1.8 doesn't have this problem (it's the "forward declaration" error in actions.hpp).
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Not sure. You could try adding the old release's repositories to apt, but that could lead to strangeness.

You could also run the Windows 1.6 through WINE.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

MRC01 wrote:the Wesnoth 1.6.5 build fails due to a known incompatibility with gcc 4.5
Natty has gcc 4.4 too, which you could try.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
MRC01

Post by MRC01 »

Gambit wrote:Not sure. You could try adding the old release's repositories to apt, but that could lead to strangeness.
You could also run the Windows 1.6 through WINE.
I used WesnothSync to load my iPad (1.6) save files into my Ubuntu box (1.8 ).

The first savefile was the beginning of a campaign. When loaded to Ubuntu it didn't have all the gold & characters I had built up.

The next savefile was the last autosave from the prior campaign - just before it completed. When loaded to Ubuntu it had all the gold & characters.

So I've transferred my campaign from iPad to desktop. But I can't transfer it back.

I'm wondering if there is a cross-version save file converter. The file save format is hierarchical with a structure similar to XML (but it's not XML). A converter might be a simple program, maybe even a 'sed' script but more likely not given the changes would apply to blocks that span multiple lines. If there isn't one already I might consider writing one.