Bad luck? Read this

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bad luck? Read this

Post by artisticdude »

Gambit wrote:Of course I doubt there are ever games with two perfectly equal opponents making absolutely no errors...
But if both players are here in the US, a certain document says otherwise:
The Declaration of Independence wrote:We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal...
:P

Okay, bad jokes aside, it is a technical impossibility for two players to be of the exact same skill, as their skill can increase or decrease according to a variety of factors, such as how their personal lives are going, how often they play the game, what factions they're best/worst at, whether they're playing on their personal computer or someone else's, whether they're on a laptop or a desktop, their emotional, physical, mental, and physical stability (or lack thereof), when they last ate, how long they slept, how bored they are/aren't, etc. etc.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

artisticdude wrote:it is a technical impossibility for two players to be of the exact same skill, as their skill can increase or decrease according to a variety of factors, such as how their personal lives are going, how often they play the game, what factions they're best/worst at, whether they're playing on their personal computer or someone else's, whether they're on a laptop or a desktop, their emotional, physical, mental, and physical stability (or lack thereof), when they last ate, how long they slept, how bored they are/aren't, etc. etc.
I think the point is another one: There is a considerable number of competitive players that find that the amount of luck within wesnoth is so great that it is no fun for them to play that way.

It's not a question of right or wrong. It's simply a matter of different opinions. That is something that should be respected. Telling people that they didn't understand wesnoth completely doesn't help with that - especially if they have already proven that they are excellent players.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Papy

Post by Papy »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:There are a couple mods that remove or lessen the luck factor. Try Sauron's mod or the Lessluck Era by Zookeeper. :wink:
Thanks for the info!
Sauron

Post by Sauron »

Sangel wrote:(...)Having written a patch to change the way in which luck is handled in Wesnoth, I'm sure that you're well aware that the "problem" isn't some kind of rigging of the RNG. Thus, you are not the type of person David is discussing in this thread.
I wrote my comment not because I felt personally touched by the argumentation. I am afraid the developers are bit too arrogant and so prejudiced that everyone questioning their RNG orthodoxy gets immediately under fire - and the argumentation is always around lack of skill and personal problems/perception malfunctions rather than around tastes. It lasts so long you started to perceive the attitude as something 'normal'. Well, it's damn far from normal - despite most of time people complaining about RNG lack understanding needed to articulate their thoughts properly, which makes ridiculing them a fun sport, doesn't it?
Sauron
Customize yourself random factor in game:
GET my mod [available as C++ sourcecode and compiled Windows executable] for wesnoth 1.6.4
at http://saurons-mod.zor.org/
Mod thread
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26803
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Sauron wrote:
Sangel wrote:(...)Having written a patch to change the way in which luck is handled in Wesnoth, I'm sure that you're well aware that the "problem" isn't some kind of rigging of the RNG. Thus, you are not the type of person David is discussing in this thread.
I wrote my comment not because I felt personally touched by the argumentation. I am afraid the developers are bit too arrogant and so prejudiced that everyone questioning their RNG orthodoxy gets immediately under fire - and the argumentation is always around lack of skill and personal problems/perception malfunctions rather than around tastes. It lasts so long you started to perceive the attitude as something 'normal'. Well, it's damn far from normal - despite most of time people complaining about RNG lack understanding needed to articulate their thoughts properly, which makes ridiculing them a fun sport, doesn't it?
Thinking that the Wesnoth RNG doesn't produce numbers that are close to random, and/or that the AI cheats by producing random numbers in its favor indicates cognitive bias by the person making the claim.

Thinking that Wesnoth's game system, degree of chance involved in the game, and similar factors aren't to one's liking and that one would like a game with a different design because of this is indeed a matter of taste.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming