A question about Beserk

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

someone

A question about Beserk

Post by someone »

Just a quick question about the berserk weapon special. What does the number of attacks of the attacking effect when using the berserk ability?
Expanding Wesnoth

You are an Arch Mage - You're definitely intelligent, but some people would say you spend too much time inside. The power you have learned, however, is simply unmatched.
AI
Developer

Re: A question about Beserk

Post by AI »

Your question is a bit unclear, but I take it you're asking what the point of the number of strikes is when berserk is used?

Well, with berserk, the normal attack sequence plays out, (for ulf vs grunt, that would be ulf-grunt-ulf-grunt-ulf-ulf) and then it repeats, for up to 30 such 'battles'.
someone

Post by someone »

Sorry, I messed up when writing. Yes that is what I was asking. Thanks.
I guess this topic can be deleted now.
Expanding Wesnoth

You are an Arch Mage - You're definitely intelligent, but some people would say you spend too much time inside. The power you have learned, however, is simply unmatched.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Then future people with the same question wouldn't be able to find it by searching. :P
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Not that they'll try anywayscip
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Oh shush, they will. When the topic is two years old, they'll find it via search and say "I don't understand the question" and get reprimanded for thread necromancy :lol2:
Tonepoet

Post by Tonepoet »

It should be noted that spreading the damage across multiple strikes also keeps damage type bonuses from being as big as they would be if he wasn't. 16 damage dealt all at once would be greatly increased against elusive-foots and saurians over the current state. Small changes in blade resistance would also come into play but I'm not quite sure how, since for better or for worse I tend to think of negative resistances less so in terms of "how much" so much as "just avoid." This goes especially so for the Ulfserkers, since their special makes them ever so unreliable.

Furthermore, although the effect is near infinitely more subtle, the normal rules of combat still effect the final round of combat: This allows the Ulfserker more free chances to finish off a low H.P. target if it has any additional strikes after the enemy has expended their own, less likelihood to deal maximum damage without taking any in return and just simply evens out the damage to be as close to average as it can be generally. The average player might not care about this so much by the time thirty rounds of combat have flown by but it does make me curious just how different the outcome of neutral resistance battles could be different if the Ulfserker had 16-1, 8-2 or 6-3 instead of 4-4. I'd bet the CTK screens would change, if not only minimally.
Htonsew Rof Elttab Eht is just too cool for school. I've got no words to describe it. Have any of you guys tried it? ;-)
Malkor

Post by Malkor »

Caphriel wrote:Oh shush, they will. When the topic is two years old, they'll find it via search and say "I don't understand the question" and get reprimanded for thread necromancy :lol2:
I did that once, funny thing is it was about "THE UNDEAD EMPIRE" add-on. I thought it was a lot of fun.

While I'm here, Berserk is over used in user generated content.
Just sayin
When the night is as bright as day. When the day is as dark as night.
When all that is, is only cruelty and hatred. When all that ever was, was sorrow. When all that ever will be, will be fear.
When the world ends with you, do you end the world?
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

That's because it's a macho ability and everyone wants it.
Araja

Post by Araja »

Remember Isar's Cross is the most popular map in Wesnoth because many people are impatient. Berserk is a huge timesaver...

Hmm... :P