The Current Sprites

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Hulavuta

The Current Sprites

Post by Hulavuta »

As I've noticed, some sprites from 1.2 are still the same on the current 1.7/1.8 version. For example, the Elvish Fighter had only one deviation, from 1.0 to 1.2. My question is this: Are the sprites that are used now planned to be used forever? (Or for a long time)
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The Current Sprites

Post by Ken_Oh »

Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Oh...okay.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Many are, many aren't. Jet's planning to redo the elvish archers and fighters at least once, but they're low on the priority list, because they're already team coloured and decent quality.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Rya

Post by Rya »

I think the units in the default era all look really good already. But some sprites of the official campaigns still have some pretty ugly ones that don't really fit together with the new good default era graphics.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
someone

Post by someone »

I think the poacher and it's level 2 need some work, but overall I agree.
Expanding Wesnoth

You are an Arch Mage - You're definitely intelligent, but some people would say you spend too much time inside. The power you have learned, however, is simply unmatched.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Also on the list ;)
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Rya

Post by Rya »

Y'know I just looked at the 1.8 sprites and thought although they look amazing they don't really fit together with the 1.6 sprites, probably because they are by a different artist (I didn't really follow the graphical development). Wouldn't it be better if the graphics look like they all use the same art style?

Edit: By the way, the old orc archer sprite could be used for a new unit "kobold archer" instead. Why just waste old graphics by removing them completely?
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Rya wrote:Y'know I just looked at the 1.8 sprites and thought although they look amazing they don't really fit together with the 1.6 sprites, probably because they are by a different artist (I didn't really follow the graphical development). Wouldn't it be better if the graphics look like they all use the same art style?
That's the problem with open source games- they need as many art devs as they can get, they don't have the resources to be picky like commercial games.
Rya wrote:Edit: By the way, the old orc archer sprite could be used for a new unit "kobold archer" instead. Why just waste old graphics by removing them completely?
And maybe it will in some UMC- however, kobolds don't exist in mainline, firstly, and secondly, default doesn't add any new units now. I know that sometimes old graphics are recycled- the old Ghast and Necrophage was, briefly, changed in graphics so that the old necrophage became the ghast and the new necrophage got new graphics.
Rya

Post by Rya »

Kobolds still exist in the mainline. The level 0 unit Northerners can recruit.
Though I think in the english translation they are called "goblins". But that's what I meant either way.

Either way, it would be nice if there were more units in the mainline. I'm not talking about adding them to the factions (no balance changes), but just making them available, so that campaign developers can easily use them without changing the era.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Rya wrote:Kobolds still exist in the mainline. The level 0 unit Northerners can recruit.
Though I think in the english translation they are called "goblins". But that's what I meant either way.

Either way, it would be nice if there were more units in the mainline. I'm not talking about adding them to the factions (no balance changes), but just making them available, so that campaign developers can easily use them without changing the era.
That’s an interesting thought. There is, after all, a distinction between Default and Core.

Question for the Devs: what has been your policy in regards with adding content to “core" as opposed to “default”? Perhaps the addition of new monster units or such would be welcome, leaving the Default era as is.

Units in “Core” feature units like “Galleon," “Sea Serpent” and "Elven Lady” whereas units in “Default” only contain the regular, recruitable units.

Edit: Corrected “multiplayer” → “core”.
Last edited by ancestral on March 8th, 2010, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

We add monsters and things to core (ancestral, this is the term you're looking for, they're not used in MP) when and if good enough ones are submitted - the most recent being the Water Serpent.

We are considering adding another faction to default era multiplayer, but this is currently only a consideration, and by no means a definite (it will be tested out in 1.9).