Character leveling up

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Llama_rock

Character leveling up

Post by Llama_rock »

I have just downloaded wesnoth for my iPhone for the remarkable price of 59p, while I am loving the game I just can't seem to get past certain senarios (heir of the king!!) I have been told that on the pc you can replay levels with your characters to train them up, but I can't find the feature on my idevice, their are no saves ending in "title.replay.gz" i try my best to level my characters up but can't get anywere. If the download does not support this pc feature, can I suggest putting it in! I have paid a small price for the game but can't play it. And congratz to your baby!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Character leveling up

Post by thespaceinvader »

You can't replay levels over and over again in order to get the character extra experience. You can restart them, erasing your current progress, in order to do things differently and hopefully better.

In terms of gameplay, the iPhone version is identical to the others in this regard.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Llama_rock

Post by Llama_rock »

Oh, I was under the impression that you could restart with the same characters if their was a save file with replay.gz in the name, I am just finding it really hard to keep my characters alive, I have a few level 2 but they don't last long, even with a mermen healer behind, I have about 8 characters on the screen at one time, is this enough? I'm new to hex games but I'm on a novice lvl playing on beginner am I that bad lol??
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

From the sounds of things, it's unlikely - but which scenario are you up to?

EDIT: have you read the walkthrough?
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/HeirToTheThrone
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

8 sounds like an awfully small army to me... I rarely play with less than 20 troops in a scenario, and in large battles I easily have 35+... You may be missing some simple concepts... Are you continuing to use lvl 1s as a "meat shield" in later scenarios? You shouldn't ever be fighting with only your vets.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:8 sounds like an awfully small army to me... I rarely play with less than 20 troops in a scenario, and in large battles I easily have 35+... You may be missing some simple concepts... Are you continuing to use lvl 1s as a "meat shield" in later scenarios? You shouldn't ever be fighting with only your vets.
Yes, 8 is too small for some battles in HttT. For some (especially the first two) it will be sufficient, but for some of the later battles it simply will not be.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

Llama_rock wrote:Oh, I was under the impression that you could restart with the same characters if their was a save file with replay.gz in the name, I am just finding it really hard to keep my characters alive, I have a few level 2 but they don't last long, even with a mermen healer behind, I have about 8 characters on the screen at one time, is this enough? I'm new to hex games but I'm on a novice lvl playing on beginner am I that bad lol??
The replay files are files which allow you to see how the battle went. Watching a replay, simply allows you to see a play-by-play of the battle. Shows you where you luck was good or bad, shows you where your strategy was right or wrong. It is not interactive, and there is no functionality to set up your recall list on a scenario you just finished... unless you hack the save game WML to put your recall list from the beginning of the next scenario into the save file of the previous. (May as well hack a 1000 hp Armageddon Drake into you recall list in the first scenario if you take that approach.) I'm not sure the iphone version would give you that latitude.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The iPhone, replays are not saved to save on memory.
Rya

Post by Rya »

Granted I think that Heir of the Throne is one of the hardest campaigns on "beginner mode" (at least some levels are). Many of the other campaigns are way easier when you play them on easy.
I have paid a small price for the game but can't play it.
Aren't the other campaigns included in the iPhone version? If they are, try one of the others. :-)

And yeah as the others pointed out you are basically playing the campaign wrong. It's not designed to be played with 8 "elite units" but rather with 20 level 1 units you can waste and 2-4 well protected higher level units.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Llama_rock

Post by Llama_rock »

I have tried various other campaigns but the two I get stuck on are,"into the deph" with the eye guardian (it manages to kill my men in one hit) and one were i have to take back a city from the undead/orcs. Some people have said playing on normal is easier due to having more enemies to lvl up on? I didn't realise you have to have that many characters, and thanks for everyones contribution and patientce,this is by far the most freindly forum I have been on lol;) and yes the iPhone version comes with what looks lyk 20 odd campaigns (on the add it describes as having 600 hours gameplay) it also benifets from multiplayer/skirmishes, most the campaigns are elite/veteran diffaculties or ones with only 4 scenarios so im stuck with 3 novice atm, theirs undead everywere tho?!?!?!
MDG

Post by MDG »

Those replays you mentioned... try posting them up in the Strategies & Tips section of the forum to ask for some guidance. You'll get plenty of feedback on what you are getting right, and what you could improve (i.e. weaknesses).
Rya

Post by Rya »

There is only one campaign that only has 4 scenarios and that one is pretty easy on easy mode and a good one to start with in my opinion.
The easy elvish vs orc one which has 7-9 scenarios (not sure) is also easy on easy mode.

If the iPhone version also offers the ability to download user made add-ons, then the amount of gameplay hours is almost unlimited anyway.

If there's a high demand for easier campaigns I might even write one. :-)
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Llama_rock

Post by Llama_rock »

It would be nice to have some more races, And some easier campaigns but I realise how much work went into this port, i'm loving the game got a 5 hour train journey tomorow so the people in front will be hearing grunting orcs lol, it does hurt to have a loved character die ;(