Please suggest me a campaign!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Calza

Please suggest me a campaign!

Post by Calza »

Hello! I finished all the beginner level campaigns and the intermediate campaign "Liberty", selecting the intermediate level of difficulty in each case. After that, I tried to play "Legend of Wesmere" and "The Eastern Invasion", but I stepped upon two scenarios which I can easily define "campaign killers":
- "Breaking the Siege" in LoW, which I discussed in a specific thread;
- "Evacuation" in EI, which I noticed has demotivated a lot of players.

Since I had to stop two campaigns near their respective end, I ask you to give me an advice on some amusing campaign to play next. I will play those two campaigns in a later version of Wesnoth, hoping they will be changed...
HomerJ

Re: Please suggest me a campaign!

Post by HomerJ »

Calza wrote:Hello! I finished all the beginner level campaigns and the intermediate campaign "Liberty", selecting the intermediate level of difficulty in each case. After that, I tried to play "Legend of Wesmere" and "The Eastern Invasion", but I stepped upon two scenarios which I can easily define "campaign killers":
- "Breaking the Siege" in LoW, which I discussed in a specific thread;
- "Evacuation" in EI, which I noticed has demotivated a lot of players.

Since I had to stop two campaigns near their respective end, I ask you to give me an advice on some amusing campaign to play next. I will play those two campaigns in a later version of Wesnoth, hoping they will be changed...
Depends on what you want. My total subjective favorite is Northern Rebirth. It has huge battles, lets you control drakes later on and is rather short.
For a longer campaign with a huge variety of controllable units I would recommend The Rise of Wesnoth.
Descend into Darkness is kind of special, but lets you play undead.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Rya

Post by Rya »

Hm I only played the first 5 campaigns so far but my evaluation would be (I write them in order since I don't know the full english names):

HttT - Well I didn't finish this one, despite it saying that it's easy I actually found it pretty hard and it really gets me frustrated that I lose so many leveled units in some scenarios. Later I only played this with debug mode. ^^'
Also this campaign has very boring map design in my opinion...

Two Brothers - A very short but fun campaign. I really liked it. I could clear it completely on easy without debug mode.

Orc Invasion - I liked this campaign mainly because the maps are pretty small and fast paced. I cleared this one also without help of debug mode.

South Guard - This campaign is a bit harder the the previous two, but it has really good map design and was generally fun to play except for that one map where you're supposed to lose and it's actually too easy to lose unless you let yourself getting killed. Some of the scenarios are really hard while other are rather easy.

Freedom - Currently tried this one, I played to the third scenario, then I quit because the map was too big for my taste (I personally don't like big maps).
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

I really liked playing Decent into Darkness. I still have a savegame from "forever and ever", I just like playing undead. Especially with new (1.6) ass-kicking sprites for all ghost units.
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

HomerJ wrote: Depends on what you want. My total subjective favorite is Northern Rebirth. It has huge battles, lets you control drakes later on and is rather short.
For a longer campaign with a huge variety of controllable units I would recommend The Rise of Wesnoth.
Descend into Darkness is kind of special, but lets you play undead.

Greetz
HomerJ
Well, you just made my two recommendations with Northern Rebirth and The Rise of Wesnoth.

Never played much of DoD, so I won't comment on it.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Kymille

Post by Kymille »

Well, I'll recommend my favorite campaign: The Rise of Wesnoth. There's a great variety of units, a real plot, and interesting scenarios.
Calza

Post by Calza »

Dunno wrote:I really liked playing Decent into Darkness. I still have a savegame from "forever and ever", I just like playing undead. Especially with new (1.6) ass-kicking sprites for all ghost units.
I played DiD, it was nice! 8) Just wondering if it is affordable without two or three Nightgaunts, however I had them and I found no major problems :P
usr-sbin

Post by usr-sbin »

Count Kromire is a very interesting campaign that I have recently started.
Continuing Siege of Soradoc
pansz

Post by pansz »

I'd played 10 campaigns and I would classify the following as "Highly recommended"

Decent into Darkness

It really is the best campaign I've ever played and it is definitely should be the first campaign for all wesnoth players.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

pansz wrote:I'd played 10 campaigns and I would classify the following as "Highly recommended"

Decent into Darkness

It really is the best campaign I've ever played and it is definitely should be the first campaign for all wesnoth players.
Hmmm, no, its too hard for a beginner. Also the ending is somewhat unusual. I would say it should be the first one after the standard campaigns like HttT, TotB, TsG, AOI and probably TRoW.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

I love DiD too, but I wouldn't tell someone to make it their first campaign. Do a couple like AOI, HttT, and TSG first.

So I guess pretty much: What HomerJ said. :wink:
boru

Post by boru »

I recommend Dead Water as an excellent intermediate-level campaign. Merfolk vs. undead!

And when you're ready for expert level, definitely check out Invasion from the Unknown.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

I have completed UtBS recently, and I must say it was pretty good. Even with non-transparent animations :wink:
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

What do you mean with "non-transparent animations"?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

I guess he means units disappearing when they attack (due to missing animations [I know, IIRWIIR]) and v1.2 sprites.
On topic, I like DiD, but wouldn't recommend it to beginners; it's rather hard, and the ending is rather annoying. I recommend Liberty. It isn't too hard and features an unusual recruitment list and a good story.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.