why this game kinda sucks

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: why this game kinda sucks

Post by Ken_Oh »

Zachron wrote:
Rya wrote:Many people get frustrated because of this reason, however, the problem is that you just play Wesnoth wrong. It's not supposed to be an SRPG, it's a strategy game where you lose units all the time and replace them with new ones. I'm personally also a fan of SRPGs and tried to play Wesnoth that way (with only a troup of like 8 units, but all leveled and trying not to lose them) and got REALLY frustrated that I stopped playing the campaigns.

However if you don't want to play the campaigns the way they are supposed to play you could do it like me and use debug mode. I personally set my own rules:
- it's not allowed to recruit more than one unit of each type
- all units will get double their max HP when recruited / recalled and when leveled

That way I can play it like an SRPG and it's possible not to lose any units (but you still need to play really good). The only thing that's annoying is that I have to double HP all the time with debug commands.
It may take more work to play it this way, but what I would do If I wanted to alter my game's composition in such a manner, Is I'd hack the Unit WML, to double the unit's maximum HP. That way the changes would be retained from scenario to scenario, and I would not have to contend with the rather unweildy Debug mode.
The game is just set up to burn units. A more reasonable "challenge mode" is what some experienced players here do. They play through a campaign like HttT with only Elvish Shamans.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

good lord, then play something else :lol2:

why do people try to convince a boon
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
ShadowAI

Post by ShadowAI »

I happen to share the OPs viewpoint in terms of unit loss, but by save scumming your way through levels I found myself frustrated and with way more high level units than I could use. By allowing people to recruit higher level units, lower units become relatively useless and to a certain degree the flavor of the game gets ruined. Personally I think that lowering the experience thresholds and thus reducing the cost it takes to level a unit up would solve the issue. Again this would unbalance the game but hopefully less so? That is just my 2 cents on the matter.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Mabuse wrote:good lord, then play something else :lol2:

why do people try to convince a boon
my own 2 cents: Mabuse is right, if you don't like the game, don't play it.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

Isn't that actually Mabuse's 2 cents? ;)
NightRanger

Post by NightRanger »

I have to agree with you, I am stuck in valley of death, the game starts to lose is playability when you are stuck on a scenerio and can't beat it, I have try all different tactics on the forums but my main guys keep getting killed and I lose. This is to frustrating to be called fun, and plus why is there a turn limit? and why do the enemy seems to always have more gold then I do and can recruit a much greater force then me?, I'm gonna give it a couple of more tries and if I can't beat it then I'll stop playing couse it's to frustrating to play when it always seems the computer always has the upper edge, that seems a bit unfair don't ya think?

ps It would seem that I'm gonna have to take a loss for what I paid for the game, 2 bucks, all well, I guess I'm gonna lose to bucks, better then losing 50 eh? :-)
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Two questions....

What is the difficulty set at?
How many cheap screening units do you have in proportion to your "main guys"?
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
NightRanger

Post by NightRanger »

yea! for sarcasm, what a way to keep your customer, Thank you for helping make up my mind, you have decided for me what I should do, I'm gonna delete the game from my Iphone and not recommand it to none of my friends, in fact I'm gonna bad mouth it, thank you again for helping me make my decision
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

NightRanger wrote:yea! for sarcasm, what a way to keep your customer, Thank you for helping make up my mind, you have decided for me what I should do, I'm gonna delete the game from my Iphone and not recommand it to none of my friends, in fact I'm gonna bad mouth it, thank you again for helping me make my decision
Come on. I deafeat the complete 3 armies and the northern lich without loosing any non-cannonfodder unit on hard on that level. 8)
Be sure to train enough anti-undead units (mages, paladins, knight+holy water) until that level, and have at least the same amount of cannon fodder (thieves) compared to important units at start. Kill the enemy before they can hurt you. Protect important units and the end of your turn with thieves so that they can't be rechead. Attack the northern army with your full force aggressively while the other armies still can't reach you. ("defeat in detail", Napoleon strategy...)
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

NightRanger wrote:yea! for sarcasm, what a way to keep your customer, Thank you for helping make up my mind, you have decided for me what I should do, I'm gonna delete the game from my Iphone and not recommand it to none of my friends, in fact I'm gonna bad mouth it, thank you again for helping me make my decision
Seriously? That wasn't a sarcastic post. This is often the first mission new players have problems with, and the reason is often because they're trying to play the game like an RPG not a TBS. Asking the basic questions is a necessary thing.

The computer gets the vast upper edge on gold, by the by, to compensate for the fact that the AI is really not that clever - giving it even gold with the player would get it soundly walloped on most missions. Valley of Death is a difficult mission at the best of times, and you could be facing problems because you don't have enough starting gold, or enough levelled troops. It might be worth you going back to the previous mission and trying for a faster finish, or trying to level more troops.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

NightRanger wrote:what a way to keep your customer
The Wesnoth Project is a non-profit one, driven primarily by the work of free open source contributers. Any money that it does take in just goes back towards making the game better. As such, demanding your rights as a customer isn't likely to resonate with the developers here. Any time that you spend "bad mouthing" Wesnoth is time wasted at your own expense and at worst will make a small dent in our ego and prove that you are a bigger jerk than whomever offended you.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

Don't you love the attitude of (some) "iUsers"?

Yeah, I know not everyone is like that (nor is the attitude limited to "iUsers" only). But it's simply silly when people think that paying customer == god (ie. what they say is what must be done).
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

What Sapient said.
Last edited by Iris on June 10th, 2010, 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: changed my mind for a while
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

... wow, for once I actually try to be helpful and answer questions and this is what I get?

First, alot of people go in and pick normal difficulty assuming (like most games) Easy will be too elementary, while normal won't be that hard... well most players should start with easy unless you're really familiar with wargames. Second, alot of new players concentrate wholly on their main characters when they should have a mix of 1/3 vets and 2/3rds recruits.

That was the basis of my questions, not to demean as you suggest.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

...It's not like it affects the Wesnoth project if he does delete the app, seeing as the user already made his or her one time payment. (I mean does it even cost money to upgrade from one version to the next?)

But how could he(or she) have conceived what Noy said to be sarcasm? It's only the standard question asked for anyone who has trouble getting past any scenario.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/