Best add-on campaigns

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bialo224

Best add-on campaigns

Post by Bialo224 »

What are the best add on campaigns? I would prefer ones that uses new units and factions. My method of download one, try it out, delete it, is very tedious and ineffective. So if some one could help me out a little bit that would be very much appreciated.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Best add-on campaigns

Post by Velensk »

My campaigns use the Era of Myths units if you want to see those in a campaign. One of them won a hurt and heal thread if that is worth anything to you (Count Kromire).

Invasion of the Unknown is popular and uses custom units (though mostly for enemies). It's not a favorite of mine but it's better than most custom campaigns.

There used to be a campaign focused around cavalry with a couple custom types. I don't remember what it was called or know if it's still around.

There was another campaign called the silver lands which used elementals (though not the elementals from EoM). I don't think that it is finished but the author certainly has put alot of effort into what is there.

I'm sure I've tried at least one other that I can't remember but I can't recall what it was called or what faction it used other than that I wasn't terribly impressed with the gameplay.

EDITED to fix a simple mistake.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Bialo224

Post by Bialo224 »

Ok thanks, I'll look into those. But I was playing around with Ageless Era and I saw some really cool races, like the summoners, and the ancient dwarves, so I was kind of looking for a campaign that featured races like these.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

AFAIK there have been no campaigns for either of those factions.

It is much much easier to create a faction than a campaign (assuming you can get the art for the faction) as a result there tend to be more factions than campaigns and fewer still for user made eras.

Last post I forgot to mention Turins campaigns for the Imperial Era. There are many of those. I don't know if they have been maintained since he left.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Dan-the-Terrible

Post by Dan-the-Terrible »

Flight to Freedom is interesting, it is a Default era campaign that features Drakes, which are rarely found in mainline campaigns. Even if you are familiar with Drakes from multiplayer, FtF adds several new Drake units such as workers and hatchlings. I have only played the first few scenarios, so I cannot promise it is complete, but the scenarios I have played so far have been bug free. Some of the scenarios try to stretch the boundaries of BfW's scenario structure; in one of the early scenarios you explore a large manor house rather than an outdoor map, with rooms sealed off by locked doors you have to open, and various inanimate objects scattered around you can interact with.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Ageless is oficially a eras pack.

In this era you have already mixed: Era of Myths, Era of Magic, Extended Era (EE), Era of Strife, Feudal Era, Imperal Era, and other factions like Steelhive era, Minotaurs, The Dark Legion and many others.

There is a lot of factions, so you can find here you favorite faction.

P.S: But, some factions are overpowered like Welkings, Ceresians, Primaverals and Arawaights.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
ike755

Post by ike755 »

I have to say that my favorite add-on is, by far, Brave Wings. Part of the reason is that the Drakes are my favorite race, and part is because the plot is so good. This campaign is so fun, it should be made mainline! :D
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

I can recommend those that have been mentioned already.
I played Count Kromire, IftU, Brave Wings and Flight to Freedom and enjoyed all of them.
Another classic one, although maybe outdated is Ooze Mini campaign, which has a different kind of gameplay, but is really fun (and funny). Don't know if it is available these days though.
Another one from the somewhat older days I remember is Story of the Wose which is also not too long, so it won't hurt to look into it.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

:oops:
But I guess it's worthwhile to advertise good UMC any day isn't it? :wink:

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Creativity

Post by Creativity »

ike755 wrote:I have to say that my favorite add-on is, by far, Brave Wings. Part of the reason is that the Drakes are my favorite race, and part is because the plot is so good. This campaign is so fun, it should be made mainline! :D
I'll try that, I've been looking for a Drake campaign to play.....

P.S. Thread necro much?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Either you people stick with this necro’ed topic without complaining or someone will have to start yet another best add-on topic (there can never be too many of those, right?).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Luckystars

Post by Luckystars »

My personal favorite campaign is Invasion from the unknown and After the storm. Its a huge 4 part campaign with an amazing story and awesome levels. I also liked the story of slimes its a rather interesting short campaign that has a great rpg level. Bad moon rising part 1 was fun, but I found the following parts way too hard on normal. I am currently playing through many of the mainline campaigns. If anyone knows where to find count kromire, I really want to play that campaign but unforchunately can't find it on the wesnoth 1.10.1 add-on server
vicente

Post by vicente »

Luckystars wrote:My personal favorite campaign is Invasion from the unknown and After the storm. Its a huge 4 part campaign with an amazing story and awesome levels. I also liked the story of slimes its a rather interesting short campaign that has a great rpg level. Bad moon rising part 1 was fun, but I found the following parts way too hard on normal. I am currently playing through many of the mainline campaigns. If anyone knows where to find count kromire, I really want to play that campaign but unforchunately can't find it on the wesnoth 1.10.1 add-on server
Count kromire is currently on 1.8 server.
For the topic, Elvish Dynasty RPG is probably my favourite add-on. Several drake campaigns are good as well, especially when you do not have too much change to play them in the mainline. Invasion from the Unknown has a wonderful story line, and is definately wooth trying. However, the first few scenarios are quite hard and the boss scenario is tenacious.
Luckystars

Post by Luckystars »

Yes I just finished Wings of Victory, its really nice to find a very well made Drake campaign