Ageless era?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bialo224

Ageless era?

Post by Bialo224 »

I was just wondering where some of the races and factions in this era come from? Do most of them have there own user made campaign, or what?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Ageless era?

Post by Pentarctagon »

ageless era is basically a huge frankenstein era composed of factions from other user-made eras. if you download other eras/factions from the add-on server, you will see many of the same factions in ageless era.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

Basically, it's intended to be the one file you have to download, so you can skip the rest.
I will now resume lurking silently.
Bialo224

Post by Bialo224 »

Oh, I was just wondering because some of the races look really interesting I wan to try them in a campaign.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

StandYourGround wrote:Basically, it's intended to be the one file you have to download, so you can skip the rest.
But we're all too disorganized for that. Ageless Era is factions collected from other eras, but the factions are not necessarily identical to the originals. Some attempt is made to balance them against each other, and the factions may not be up-to-date. If you want a large choice of factions, go with Ageless. If you are interested in a particular faction, check out the original.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
LucidDreamer85

Post by LucidDreamer85 »

Is this the preferred era or no?

I like the Imperial the best I think as it adds 6-7 new factions and all are somewhat balanced.....I wish era era of magic dropped those devlings and the elementals and replaced them with better factions....

I play ageless but sometimes I want to play a random comp and it's harder to find a balance in ageless era i think..

Balanced for tournaments era BEEM is nice too...

What is the best or most balanced era besides obviously the default ?
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

EE is probably the most balanced one out there. EoM is pretty good too, but devlings are hard to get right.

In case you're wondering what EE is, I believe the Extended Era hasn't seen an add-on server since 1.4.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

There's a balanced extended era included in one of the big era packs on 1.6, actually.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
multilis

Post by multilis »

devlings are hard to get right.
Devlings are very different, which can be fun, which imo is more important than balance. Remember several games were we laughed at the "red army ants".
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

thespaceinvader wrote:There's a balanced extended era included in one of the big era packs on 1.6, actually.
If you mean BEEM, then I disagree.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

@Luicid dreamer: If you mean that you wish the Era of Myths would drop the devlings and the elementals for other factions then this is the responce for you.

I think that if Era of Myths is going to drop any factions it isn't going to be replacing them with anything. If you don't want to play with those two factions then you can always play core era of myths. I would also say that of all of the Era of Myth factions those two are a couple of my favorite ones. When played correctly they can both be quite strong. During my time and campaign maintainer I recieved complaints or people wanting this or that faction dropped for every faction except the vampires and the celestials. It really would not be fair to drop any of them.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

It may be a little late, but if you'd like, I'll put in a request to drop vampires and celestials to complete the set ;)

@LucidDreamer: Era of Myths is the only user-made era that I've ever played that seemed balanced enough to play. Most of the user-made eras either have an obvious creator's-pet faction, have too many factions to be balanced, or have glaring balance issues. Era of Strife looks okay, but I haven't played it.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

I haven't released it (EoS) for 1.7/1.8 yet either.
LucidDreamer85

Post by LucidDreamer85 »

Velensk wrote:@Luicid dreamer: If you mean that you wish the Era of Myths would drop the devlings and the elementals for other factions then this is the responce for you.

I think that if Era of Myths is going to drop any factions it isn't going to be replacing them with anything. If you don't want to play with those two factions then you can always play core era of myths. I would also say that of all of the Era of Myth factions those two are a couple of my favorite ones. When played correctly they can both be quite strong. During my time and campaign maintainer I recieved complaints or people wanting this or that faction dropped for every faction except the vampires and the celestials. It really would not be fair to drop any of them.

I wasn't trying to offend you . The era is very well made...I'm impressed.....I just tend to not like darker type factions...so take it as just my opinion and not as an insult...I also have not been playing Wesnoth as long as most of you so I still have some learning to do.

I think it's the fact that EoM plays very different than default which was what I played until maybe a few weeks ago...so the factions are harder for me to play at first.

My biggest complaint is that all the units in the devilings faction look too similar...maybe that has a part in my opinion...

anyways good era..

BTW.....is anyone almost complete with a new faction or era? I love trying out all the new ones ( well too me they are new since I just downloaded them )