Cheating, Hacking. How much?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

olpysz

Cheating, Hacking. How much?

Post by olpysz »

I am wondering is ther munch cheating or hacking is there online, I am also wired if i could get a bad virus or hacked.(being open source and all)

Also whoever makes the music for wesnoth, Exallent job!!
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
-Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
Rya

Re: Cheating, Hacking. How munch?

Post by Rya »

I've never seen someone cheating in wesnoth and I observe many matches. :o

Edit: Except the 'cheat' where one of the players joins as observer.
Last edited by Rya on January 29th, 2010, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Nope, no known cheating in Wesnoth. Definitely no viruses or hacking; that's not even possible with Wesnoth.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

For future use, "much" is spelled without the "n"

Anyway, there isn't really any cheating, but if the game settings are changed at all, it kind of screws up the multiplayer matches.

For some reason, I had debug mode on, and then I could actually create units during a multiplayer game. That's kind of cheating right? It might have been because I was playing with someone with the same IP
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Rya

Post by Rya »

It can't really be called cheating if everybody can see it though. That's like changing your poker cards at the top of the table.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

Your games are more likely to be messed up by the random number generator (RNG) than by a cheater opponent. And it's semi-rare for RNG to really mess up a game.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I just want to note I'm offended by the original poster's assertion that open source software is likely to have a virus.
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

I don't think he was insinuating that the game had a virus. I think he was wondering what the risk of getting virus hacked by a malicious user over the multiplayer server was. It's an honest concern even if it is not a valid one. Theoretically any program can be used as a trojan horse by a decent enough coder, and this game does have a lot of add-ons, but this is where all resemblance the theory has to the practice ends. WML has an unanticipated benefit, that add-ons can only access a relatively narrow range of protocols, thus precluding the use of an add-on as a trojan horse.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

A game being open source makes it less likely to have malware. Not more likely. You have many more sets of eyes that can see every minute detail of the program. Everyone can examine the source and edit their own copy, but only a select few trusted individuals can make official changes.

As far as hacking goes, yes it's possible, but I have yet to hear of it actually happening.

Ways of cheating include, but are not limited to, include modifying WML to give gold bonuses to certain usernames, and observing a game that you're playing. The former has never happened to my knowledge and the latter can be solved by blocking observers, playing without fog and shroud, or taking a deep breath and telling yourself it's just a game.

edit: Added "but are not limited to" because I don't care about cheating so I'm sure there are other ways discovered by those who do. (such as viewing saves offline)
Last edited by Gambit on January 29th, 2010, 11:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

If someone joins with the same IP as a player currently in the game, there will be a warning. This can be gotten around, but generally speaking it's not worth worrying about. There are easier and less detectable methods of spying through fog, according to previous discussions.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Your client has the exact same information as your opponent's, so the equivalent of wallhacks are quite possible. RNG cheating is no longer possible since 1.7.something, as random numbers are now obtained from the server.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

AI wrote:so the equivalent of wallhacks are quite possible
What about aimbots? I guess that would be the equivilent of RNG hacks.

Chams? :lol2:
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

A discussion about ways to cheat in MP... :|
Tonepoet

Post by Tonepoet »

Never got any malware from Wesnoth, although as a mac user I'm supposed to be pretty much immune from such things, more or less. (According to Apple's own commercials anyway. I still stacked on Norton Antivirus just incase.)

I can't say much about cheating but without an official rating system, is there even a reason to try? People judge how good of a player you are based moreso upon the genius (or lack thereof) behind your moves, than the game's end results itself, at least from what I've observed anyway.
Htonsew Rof Elttab Eht is just too cool for school. I've got no words to describe it. Have any of you guys tried it? ;-)
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Tonepoet wrote:I still stacked on Norton Antivirus just incase.
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/unix- ... rvous.html