iPhone achievements!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

iPhone achievements!

Post by KylePoole »

Something that has become very popular these days is awarding achievements for completing goals as you play a game. The iPhone has a great 3rd party framework for achievements, friend lists, and social network integration called OpenFeint. It provides a lot of visibility for the game when you see on Facebook "Kyle Poole unlocked 'Bone Crusher' in Battle for Wesnoth!" plus other friends that are playing OpenFeint enabled games on iPhone can see when you're playing Battle for Wesnoth.

Anyways, since the integration is fairly simple, I'm going ahead and adding it for Episode 3. Here is the current achievement list, please let me know any feedback regarding the badges, titles, or if any other achievements should be added...

Image Bloodied (5 points) - Kill 25 enemy units
Image Slayer (10 points) - Kill 50 enemy units
Image Battle Master (20 points) - Kill 100 enemy units
Image Bone Crusher (40 points) - Kill 500 enemy units
Image Predator (80 points) - Kill 1000 enemy units

Image Penny Pincher (20 points) - Collect 300 gold
Image Money Hoarder (40 points) - Collect 500 gold

Image Veteran Unit (10 points) - Level up a unit to level 3
Image Heroic Unit (50 points) - Level up a unit to level 5
Image Fearless Leader (10 points) - Level up your leader

Image Rampage (20 points) - Kill 3 units in a turn
Image Dominating (40 points) - Kill 5 units in a turn

Image Proficient Commander (20 points) - Control 20 units
Image Great General (40 points) - Control 30 units

Image Divine Blessing (20 points) - Finish a mission 10 turns early
Image Lightning Quick Blades (40 points) - Finish a mission 15 turns early

Image Educated General (5 points) - Complete the tutorial
Image Wesnoth Veteran (100 points) - Complete a full campaign on easy difficulty
Image Hero of Wesnoth (150 points) - Complete a full campaign on normal difficulty
Image Champion of Wesnoth (200 points) - Complete a full campaign on hard difficulty
aegil

Re: iPhone achievements!

Post by aegil »

I for one, love this idea and am looking forward to when it's implemented. Thank you for adding it!

I've heard adding the OpenFeint symbol to your logo(s) will help to attract OpenFeint addicts like myself. Icons do help with sales! For what it's worth, I find I play OpenFient games more than those without it. So I think this is a good move.

As for your initial list, it looks good but how about some for completing specific campaigns? It gives me a reason to play them all!

By the way - any ETA on the first update? I've been checking for updates a few times a day in anticipation.
Last edited by aegil on December 14th, 2009, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yojimbo252

Post by Yojimbo252 »

Great idea.

I've just tweaked some of the titles so they're a bit more uniform and in ascending order. I realise this is pretty subjective but here's my 2 cents anyway:

Bloodied (5 points) - Kill 25 enemy units
Slayer (10 points) - Kill 50 enemy units
Predator (20 points) - Kill 100 enemy units
Bone Crusher (40 points) - Kill 500 enemy units
Battle Master (80 points) - Kill 1000 enemy units

Berserk (20 points) - Kill 3 units in a turn
Rampage (40 points) - Kill 5 units in a turn

Recruit of Wesnoth (5 points) - Complete the tutorial
Soldier of Wesnoth (100 points) - Complete a full campaign on easy difficulty
Hero of Wesnoth (150 points) - Complete a full campaign on normal difficulty
Champion of Wesnoth (200 points) - Complete a full campaign on hard difficulty
Against The Frontier - A Goblin based Scenario (Comments and feedback most appreciated)
JemDaddyO

Post by JemDaddyO »

I do like this idea however, some of us don't need our significant others knowing how much we play this game, thereby spending less time with them. :lol2:

It also seems that the Easy level is a easy way to grab these all up, easier to get more units, more gold, more kills and finish early etc. Not sure how to solve that problem or if others care, just thought I'd mension it.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think this sounds like a great idea!

A related thing: how difficult would it be to get some kind of Facebook integration? I've seen some iPhone apps do this, and it seems like a good way to spread the word about Wesnoth. :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
usr-sbin

Post by usr-sbin »

That's a very good idea, I'm just wondering what the points do?
Continuing Siege of Soradoc
aegil

Post by aegil »

@Dave, as KylePoole hinted at in his post, the newer versions of OpenFeint already lets you connect to Facebook. It's all build right in.

@KylePoole, this is what I was referring to when I mentioned adding and OpenFeint icon. http://help.openfeint.com/faqs/guides-2/of-icon
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

It'd be cool if you had the current "Kill Total" medals be for a single campaign only, and a "Game Total Unit Kills" medal for your entire Wesnoth experience. For example, the first one would be like "kill 100,000 units throughout your entire wesnoth gameplay duration" and the requirement would get progressively and perhaps exponentially higher for the higher-leveled medals. Just a thought for those who are going for epic-level achievements.

Maybe a medal for not losing a single unit in a scenario. Like, "Life Saver" or "I Play Fire Emblem".

Also, the medal series of "Complete a campaign on X difficulty" should be changed, so that you gain different amounts of points for which campaign you play. For example, Tale of Two Brothers would be a fast way to get the hard difficulty medal and its accompanying points easily, but if you made all the campaigns have their own medal series it'd be a lot more balanced. Also, you can use the little unit graphics that are already besides each difficulty setting as your medal image, saving you a lot of work maybe?
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

I would point out that in no mainline campaign is is possible to level a unit to level 5. The highest is level 4, with the Elvish Sylph and the Grand Marshall.
I will now resume lurking silently.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Actually, you can level Mal Keshar to an L4 Ancient Lich in DiD.

You can also level any mage in any campaign to L4 Great Mages in a variety of campaigns. You can level desert shamen to L4 Desert Stars in UtBS.

You can also get Delfador to L4 Mage Magister in DM, but that's not in the iPhone version, I don't believe.

I believe Elynia and Anlinde can also get to L4 in IftU, which is in the iPhone version. I think you can level units to L4 Aragwaith Ancient Banners in IftU, too, but I might be wrong on that.

But I can't think of a single way to control an L5, except Delfador in HttT, and he starts out that way.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Zarel wrote:I believe Elynia and Anlinde can also get to L4 in IftU, which is in the iPhone version. I think you can level units to L4 Aragwaith Ancient Banners in IftU, too, but I might be wrong on that.
Elynia starts as L4, becomes L5 for a while, and reverts to L3. The actual stats do not change a lot, it's just a symbolic levelling up/down.

And you are right on the Ancient Banners.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Actually, it is possible to level up any unit to level 5 it just doesn't change the class when it happens.

Why else would the "Max level" units have exp.?
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
MDG

Post by MDG »

JackBarber wrote:Actually, it is possible to level up any unit to level 5 it just doesn't change the class when it happens.

AMLA
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

JackBarber wrote:Actually, it is possible to level up any unit to level 5 it just doesn't change the class when it happens.

As MDG said, AMLA. An AMLA'd level 4 is still a level 4.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

Zarel wrote:Actually, you can level Mal Keshar to an L4 Ancient Lich in DiD.

You can also level any mage in any campaign to L4 Great Mages in a variety of campaigns. You can level desert shamen to L4 Desert Stars in UtBS.

You can also get Delfador to L4 Mage Magister in DM, but that's not in the iPhone version, I don't believe.

I believe Elynia and Anlinde can also get to L4 in IftU, which is in the iPhone version. I think you can level units to L4 Aragwaith Ancient Banners in IftU, too, but I might be wrong on that.

But I can't think of a single way to control an L5, except Delfador in HttT, and he starts out that way.
I'm fully aware of the other possible L4 units in mainline, I only gave the Sylph and Grand Marshall as examples. I still make the point that a level 5 unit cannot be reached in current mainline. Rather that have an achievement for reaching a Level 5 unit, a separate achievement for each particular generic mainline unit would work great. It's hard enough to get a Grand Marshall or a Sylph, so you could get an achievement for that.
I will now resume lurking silently.