The old iPhone port thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Post Reply
User avatar
aegil
Posts: 11
Joined: December 7th, 2009, 12:28 am

Re: Wesnoth for iPhone out now!

Post by aegil »

Thanks kylepoole,

I'm really, really looking forward to the new update with better scrolling and to be rid of the end scenario bug! Thanks for putting so much time and effort into porting / fixing it!

For the record, I'd never heard of Wesnoth before the iphone app release. So, I have to thank you for introducing me to such a great game too!

Now, lets hope "fast track" means less than a week wait, standard is like 2 weeks right? :)

Seeker
Posts: 11
Joined: September 6th, 2009, 2:48 pm

Re: Wesnoth for iPhone out now!

Post by Seeker »

IntergalacticWalrus wrote:
KylePoole wrote:The price is $4.99, with proceeds going back into the Wesnoth project.
Can we have an official confirmation of that statement from at least one Wesnoth maintainer (that is not Kyle)? I am not buying this until I know for sure that this is true.
I am happy I have a jailbroken Iphone 3G with hack to put ipa´s without drm on my iphone, because of that I didnt trow any money anyway, because Iphone version works like crap, I havent even succeeded getting in a multiplayer game with the iphone.

And I think it strange that they ask 5 bucks for a opensource game.

User avatar
Turuk
Sithslayer
Posts: 5283
Joined: February 28th, 2007, 8:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Wesnoth for iPhone out now!

Post by Turuk »

IntergalacticWalrus wrote:
KylePoole wrote:The price is $4.99, with proceeds going back into the Wesnoth project.
Can we have an official confirmation of that statement from at least one Wesnoth maintainer (that is not Kyle)? I am not buying this until I know for sure that this is true.
Since you quoted it again, I assume this means you have the same question.

It was addressed previously here.
Seeker wrote:And I think it strange that they ask 5 bucks for a opensource game.
This was addressed previously here.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time

Seeker
Posts: 11
Joined: September 6th, 2009, 2:48 pm

Re: Wesnoth for iPhone out now!

Post by Seeker »

So its legal to download it for free from usenet and not pay 5 bucks to kyle? I will never pay money in appstore I think he should had used cydia and appstore just charge cost what appstore brings, but it should be free of charge, wesnoth is opensource, and its not good to ask so much for that.

And other problem that appstore is not no profit, so this money can never go 100% to Wesnoth devel, because Apple takes a share and wouldnt suprise me if kyle takes few % for himself.



EDIT:

If kyle really provides all the source code of the port then it should be possible that someone makes a .deb for cydia and put it for free in cydia.

Maybe some explanation how to compile from source on iphone? I know how to do on Linux.

User avatar
Turuk
Sithslayer
Posts: 5283
Joined: February 28th, 2007, 8:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Wesnoth for iPhone out now!

Post by Turuk »

Please use edit and don't just double post.
Seeker wrote:And other problem that appstore is not no profit, so this money can never go 100% to Wesnoth devel, because Apple takes a share and wouldnt suprise me if kyle takes few % for himself.
We do not indeed get the full 100% and never expected to, as he spent the time to port Wesnoth to the iPhone with the understanding of the developers.

You have obviously not read the GPL, as Wesnoth being open source does not mean that it has to be offered free of charge in all forms. Yet again:
Dave wrote:The GPL enables people to charge money for distribution. It requires that the source code is made available, among other things, and this has been done.

I have always been happy for people to profit from Wesnoth as long as they do so within the terms of the GPL. In fact I think it is a good thing that people are able to make money out of a GPLed game.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time

Seeker
Posts: 11
Joined: September 6th, 2009, 2:48 pm

Re: Wesnoth for iPhone out now!

Post by Seeker »

Turuk wrote:Please use edit and don't just double post.
Seeker wrote:And other problem that appstore is not no profit, so this money can never go 100% to Wesnoth devel, because Apple takes a share and wouldnt suprise me if kyle takes few % for himself.
We do not indeed get the full 100% and never expected to, as he spent the time to port Wesnoth to the iPhone with the understanding of the developers.

You have obviously not read the GPL, as Wesnoth being open source does not mean that it has to be offered free of charge in all forms. Yet again:
Dave wrote:The GPL enables people to charge money for distribution. It requires that the source code is made available, among other things, and this has been done.

I have always been happy for people to profit from Wesnoth as long as they do so within the terms of the GPL. In fact I think it is a good thing that people are able to make money out of a GPLed game.
Okay maybe its a wrong to think that all opensource should be free of charge, but I know most opensource users think like that, so I wonder if you have to provide the source code doesnt that mean its legal if I don´t pay for the software? Now I am curious if its a crime to not buy a opensource app but download it for free from usenet.

I know jailbreak is legal in Europe :)

Noy
Inactive Developer
Posts: 1321
Joined: March 13th, 2005, 3:59 pm

Re: Wesnoth for iPhone out now!

Post by Noy »

SeekerNL

I'm getting tired with dealing with you.

First off there is nothing inherently wrong with what Kyle has done. Porting wesnoth for the Iphone was probably the single most difficult programming task undertaken by a single developer in this project's history. It would be nearly impossible for it to be accomplished using the normal development system this project utilizes. And I can assure you if it was possible, it wouldn't have been done to the quality that Kyle has produced. Moreover there is nothing illegal whatsoever in what he has done. I know because I'm the secretary for Wesnoth and we looked into this carefully. Since he has made the source code available for free he's not claiming that he owns it. Rather he's selling his service to make this port, which is entirely acceptable under GPL. In my mind, given the work he's accomplished, he deserves the remuneration given. What he doesn't deserve is your unsubstantiated arguments.

Truth be told Seeker I find your attitude trite and annoying. I've explained this to you several times and you continue to ignore my points, and continue to blather on about how you think this is illegal when it isn't. I'd suggest you tread very carefully with what you say next here because we take this issue very seriously, and we don't appreciate your completely erroneous insinuations about this project.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.

User avatar
Sapient
Inactive Developer
Posts: 4453
Joined: November 26th, 2005, 7:41 am
Contact:

Re: Wesnoth for iPhone out now!

Post by Sapient »

Noy wrote: Porting wesnoth for the Iphone was probably the single most difficult programming task undertaken by a single developer in this project's history.
Well, not as difficult as Dave making the original versions by himself certainly, but I agree with everything else you just said.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."

Noy
Inactive Developer
Posts: 1321
Joined: March 13th, 2005, 3:59 pm

Re: Wesnoth for iPhone out now!

Post by Noy »

Sapient wrote:
Noy wrote: Porting wesnoth for the Iphone was probably the single most difficult programming task undertaken by a single developer in this project's history.
Well, not as difficult as Dave making the original versions by himself certainly, but I agree with everything else you just said.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html
Actually I think he's was extremely impressed by the task Kyle undertook and what he accomplished; so I don't think what I said is too far off the mark.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.

User avatar
Yojimbo252
Posts: 40
Joined: November 27th, 2009, 4:49 pm

Re: Wesnoth for iPhone out now!

Post by Yojimbo252 »

If it hadn't been for the iPhone version I would never have known about BfW. I certainly don't begrudge paying £2.99 for it, that's the price of a single pint of beer which in the overall scheme of things is nothing and if the justification for it is to compensate Kyle for his time in porting it to the iPhone then I really don't see what the issue is.
Against The Frontier - A Goblin based Scenario (Comments and feedback most appreciated)

User avatar
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director
Posts: 8414
Joined: August 25th, 2007, 10:12 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Wesnoth for iPhone out now!

Post by thespaceinvader »

There really isn't one, other than some misinformed people's erroneous expectations of the GPL, which we are happy to control.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.

Pitta
Posts: 1
Joined: November 30th, 2009, 9:50 am

Re: Wesnoth for iPhone out now!

Post by Pitta »

Hi everyone.
First post here, I just registered to thank the author of the iPhone port and the whole Wesnoth community.

While a long time gamer and a RPG lover, I never played any strategic RPGs and I wasn't aware of the Wesnoth existence.
I saw the Wesnoth port on TouchArcade (a site devoted to iPhone gaming) and before buying it I downloaded the free PC version to try it.
After playing the tutorial and the Two Brothers campaign, and really liking what I was playing, I bought the iPhone port which I'm now GREATLY enjoying (I'm about to finish the Southguard campaign).

While I could play the game free on PC, I gladly paid the (really small) fee to enjoy the game on the iPhone.
Having a family and a child, it's MUCH easier for me to play on the iPhone than turning on a PC.

And I must say that, despite some problems and crashes which I understand Kyle Poole has already addressed, the iPhone port really shines...I do not how to say, maybe it's the tiny screen...but the graphics seems really better on the iPhone than on the PC.
Gameplay and fun it's obviously the same, but I'm enjoying playing on the iPhone much more.

Speaking of the game itself, I'm greatly enjoying the Southern campaign (surprises, branches, cutscenes...all unexpected) and I cannot wait to start the 25 scenarios one which I understand it's the 'main' and most played one.

Again, thank to both Kyle Poole and the Wesnoth community.
I really think I well spent 4 euros, it's one of the best games in the App Store.

Seeker
Posts: 11
Joined: September 6th, 2009, 2:48 pm

Re: Wesnoth for iPhone out now!

Post by Seeker »

Noy wrote:SeekerNL

I'm getting tired with dealing with you.

First off there is nothing inherently wrong with what Kyle has done. Porting wesnoth for the Iphone was probably the single most difficult programming task undertaken by a single developer in this project's history. It would be nearly impossible for it to be accomplished using the normal development system this project utilizes. And I can assure you if it was possible, it wouldn't have been done to the quality that Kyle has produced. Moreover there is nothing illegal whatsoever in what he has done. I know because I'm the secretary for Wesnoth and we looked into this carefully. Since he has made the source code available for free he's not claiming that he owns it. Rather he's selling his service to make this port, which is entirely acceptable under GPL. In my mind, given the work he's accomplished, he deserves the remuneration given. What he doesn't deserve is your unsubstantiated arguments.

Truth be told Seeker I find your attitude trite and annoying. I've explained this to you several times and you continue to ignore my points, and continue to blather on about how you think this is illegal when it isn't. I'd suggest you tread very carefully with what you say next here because we take this issue very seriously, and we don't appreciate your completely erroneous insinuations about this project.
You ignore my questions to, I asked if its illigal to download a opensource game for free and install it on iphone, so what i am wondering if the GPL alows this, like just build ir from source or just crack the oginal and put it for free.

And the Iphone port is not in sync with the PC versions I just found that out while playing 2 player survival on iphone, and ofcourse people will hate players from iphone as they play slow because of the controls, it seems right now the iphone port isnt getting much reviews in appstore, and I still dont see the free one.

User avatar
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director
Posts: 8414
Joined: August 25th, 2007, 10:12 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Wesnoth for iPhone out now!

Post by thespaceinvader »

And yes, there are some bugs and issues with the iPhone version - these are being worked on as fast as KylePoole is able to. He's taking on a difficult task, and doing it alone, and he has the team's support.

The version should be compatible with the 1.6.x server - all 1.6 versions are inter-compatible. And when 1.8 comes out, I think KP is planning to release a new version compatible with that.

It is NOT compatible with the 1.7.x series, nor is it intended to be - the development versions are released far too quickly for them to be worth porting to iPhone, since so much alteration is necessary to the data files - particularly, altering image sizes etc.

Seeker - enough. You're dragging this thread off track.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.

Dave
Founding Developer
Posts: 7071
Joined: August 17th, 2003, 5:07 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Wesnoth for iPhone out now!

Post by Dave »

You are permitted to follow the guidelines of the GPL in using the version on the iPhone, just as with any other version. The GPL allows redistribution, so if someone who obtained the GPLed version is willing to redistribute it to you, they may do so. You also may compile it yourself from source to run on the iPhone.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming

Post Reply