The old iPhone port thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JKT

Re: The official iPhone port thread

Post by JKT »

I found that turning off the following really helped with stability (although it is still not great).

In the iPhone Settings>General:

1. Turn off the network and wi-fi by activating Airplane mode so that no e.g. e-mails or calls will arrive while you are playing.

In Wesnoth, turn off:

2. Music and sound effects (Preferences>Sound - turn off everything here)
3. Special effects (Preferences>Display>Show Haloing Effects and Show Unit Idle Animations)

Turning off the haloing effects in particular helped a lot (you lose the magic effects such as lightning bolts, the illumination 'halo' from level 3 white mages, etc. which makes it less visually appealing but more stable).

You could also turn off anything else that doesn't make the game unplayable for you personally (e.g. the Grid, floating labels, etc.)

That, together with reducing the number of auto-saves down to 2 and deleting all save games from completed scenarios seems to have made a substantial difference for me.

Also, make sure you save the game just before you are about to complete the scenario objectives.

As an aside, I'm guessing that Apple's "drastically" improved approval times are either up the spout again, or the 1.3 version has been rejected given that it is now several days since Kyle's post?
spod

Post by spod »

Thanks for your reply, JKT.

I actually got things back on track using the old-fashioned technique of trying the same thing over and over again. Eventually I got an autosave for the next level that wasn't corrupt. I hope it will be easier next time.

If it goes wrong again, I'll add your suggestions to my drill.
Yojimbo252

Post by Yojimbo252 »

Apologies if this has been asked before but I was wondering whether there were any plans for the iPhone version to support multiplayer asynchronous play with push notifications and controls against RNG exploit?
Against The Frontier - A Goblin based Scenario (Comments and feedback most appreciated)
Kymille

Post by Kymille »

I really found the small screen detracted from the experience, but looks like the new iPad may be perfect for Wesnoth.
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

Sorry that the Episode 3 update is taking so long to be approved, it should be out any day now...

The iPad does look like a great device, and you can be sure that a customized Wesnoth build will be ready for it when it launches!
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

And now I'll just have to buy one when it does, so I can be a tester. :lol2:
I will now resume lurking silently.
spod

Post by spod »

Me again.
Wesnoth is still not working on my iPhone. I've tried all the tricks and tips suggested by Kyle and others, and still it crashes at the end of a scenario.
Maybe v3 will fix that, I don't know, but I am starting to lose my enthusiasm for an app I paid for, which clearly wasn't tested properly before release.
501st_alpha1

Post by 501st_alpha1 »

Now that I have finally got around to registering, I have some feedback for Mr. Poole, but I think I will wait until Episode 3 comes out.
Yojimbo252 wrote:were any plans for the iPhone version to support multiplayer asynchronous play with push notifications and controls against RNG exploit?
I second the motion!
KylePoole wrote:The iPad does look like a great device, and you can be sure that a customized Wesnoth build will be ready for it when it launches!
Sweet!

I think I am breaking the Tenth Commandment.
For those who don't want to look it up:
"Thou shalt not covet"
Now I just have to convince my parents to let me get one. :wink:
KylePoole wrote:Apple's approval times have been drastically improved, so it should be live in a day or two...
So much for that. :x
JemDaddyO

Post by JemDaddyO »

I didn't see any issues like this in the scenario thread so maybe this is an iPhone version problem I'm having with Sceptre of Fire. On the Gathering materials scenario, I can't find the second location of coal anywhere on my map. From what I've read, the map is generated randomly so maybe something is screwed up there? Has anyone gotten through this campaign on the iPhone/Touch?
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

Episode 3 has finally been approved! Please continue discussion in the new Episode 3 thread...