The old iPhone port thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

barefootguru

Re: Wesnoth for iPhone out now!

Post by barefootguru »

nazgul42 wrote:
Aethaeryn wrote:Probably the most fitting compromise would be to have it send data by default (most people won't mind), but have an option to turn it off (some people do obviously mind).
Or, you could have it only send the usage data if it is on a WiFi network.
I prefer Aethaeryn's approach, that caters for the privacy issue too.
Yojimbo252

Post by Yojimbo252 »

JemDaddyO wrote:
KylePoole wrote:So the plan is to introduce the user-made content in each update, and I chose "Invasion from the Unknown" because it is one of the most popular campaigns.
This is good news. I would love to see somebody develop a campaign tailored to the iPhone (read: quick playing and more horizontal than vertical maps).
I want to second that in a big way. Shorter scenarios with smaller maps and hence faster playing but still challenging goals. The campaign overall can still be as lengthy with anywhere between 8-20 scenarios but the map sizes being scaled down would be a very nice improvement for iPhone players.
JemDaddyO wrote:Also, if you can't make the whole unit recall screen scrollable, can you at least change the size of the scroll arrows? They are impossibly tiny and the bottom arrow is right above "Disband Unit" which makes me paranoid.
Agreed this needs to be addressed.
Against The Frontier - A Goblin based Scenario (Comments and feedback most appreciated)
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Don't tap the arrows, drag the scrollbar around.
Yojimbo252

Post by Yojimbo252 »

AI wrote:Don't tap the arrows, drag the scrollbar around.
Even so it's not as simple as it could be and there's no reason not to improve its ease of use.
Against The Frontier - A Goblin based Scenario (Comments and feedback most appreciated)
Vaevicious

Post by Vaevicious »

Why is this game not still in beta? Honestly I deserve a refund because the game simply does not work. Very reminiscent of old Bethesda games that would crash over and over out of the box. I am unable to advance from one scenario to the next if I use any save games. Of course, since the game crashes every few turns I am basically always using a save game.

This game is esentially unplayable at this time and a complete rip off. Someday it may be ok, but right now I feel like someone stole my 4.99

-Vae
jayce

Post by jayce »

Sure the actual version is not perfect. Sur the skirmish mode crash more often that it should, but the game is well playable as is.
I play some hours on it everyday.
--
Jayce Piel - MosX.org
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

To chime in to the overall topic for a moment and not the current discussion, a thanks for developing this. It has kept my occupied during small periods of down time when I'm out in the field, and I have successfully spread this game among a number of my soldiers.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
cretin

Post by cretin »

lol I had to comment on Turuks message. "Soldiers", I love it, you had me laughing. Unless your speaking literally.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

cretin wrote:lol I had to comment on Turuks message. "Soldiers", I love it, you had me laughing. Unless your speaking literally.
Glad I gave you a laugh, though I was speaking literally. ;)

I will have to add in that a bit of the recent criticism of this app is somewhat warranted, it has been particularly buggy for me as well on occasion.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

Make sure to reset your phone before playing if you are getting random crashes. The iPhone is notorious for bad memory management, but I've further reduced the memory requirements in the next version to make it more stable. Also if you are getting a crash when pressing "end scenario", you can try deleting most of your old save games first, and also saving right before you make the killing blow. This problem has been fixed in the next update.

As for small UI eg scrollbars, I'm planning on making the whole content scroll in typical iPhone fashion (just drag the content up and down) but it is quite difficult to tinker with the low level GUI code and I can't do everything at once... Obviously game speed, lag, and crashes have fix priority. But look for more UI improvements in update 2.
Yojimbo252

Post by Yojimbo252 »

KylePoole wrote:As for small UI eg scrollbars, I'm planning on making the whole content scroll in typical iPhone fashion (just drag the content up and down) but it is quite difficult to tinker with the low level GUI code and I can't do everything at once... Obviously game speed, lag, and crashes have fix priority. But look for more UI improvements in update 2.
fair enough. thanks.
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

I've decided to remove the "phone home" Flurry analytics code from the next update. It wasn't particularly useful, and I don't really want people to worry about network charges...
Calidine

Post by Calidine »

Hi Kylepoole

I recently purchased the game from the app. store. But i have to say there is some problems with the game so far. To many crashes and also cant play any skirmishes with out being kicked out. I get a n error saying that the memory on a 3g i phone is low memory which I do have plenty of. I would like to continue to play if i could get it to run. I dont waste the money that i used already. Please get an update for these areas to be solved thank you.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

hey kylepool, small suggestion while i'm around...

apparently you need to "prepare" somehow the UMC content for the iphone, can this task be automated ? if so, you might be able to do an iphone specific campaign server that would mirror the normal one with prepared campaigns

even if can't automate, you could still use the iphone specific server trick to avoid haing to go throught the whole iphone validation process for every add-on...

and let me join the chorus of people that find the idea of wesnoth on iphone absolutely great
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

Hi Calidine, surely there is something wrong with your device if you get that error message even after just resetting your phone... Can you try to put the phone in "airplane mode" and see if that helps?

The Episode II update has been submitted today! I petitioned Apple to fast-track the approval process because it contains many critical fixes, so hopefully it will be out soon.