The old iPhone port thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Re: Wesnoth for iPhone out now!

Post by Zerovirus »

What I mean is wml seems to directly replace those images by telling it to change them through the frames by hand.

Guh, I dunno. It's just that even on the pc wesnoth's animations have a tendency to accelerate if you open the menu in the middle of an animation.

But this isn't the right place for that and I'm not really a wml guy so just ignore what I said.

EDIT: This is kinda what I meant.
Boucman wrote:the animation engine does not support animated gifs, our animations are basically a set of png files + a text file describing how to display those png.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

Zerovirus wrote:How do the animations on the PC work?

I ask because it seems that you guys use a method where you put one picture on, wait a short amount of time, replace it with the next frame, and continue until the entire animation is finished.
You've just defined animation. Seriously, that's how 2d animation works, period. Any other file format used for such animations are just a set of still pictures, which, again, are displayed one at a time.

That's like complaining about sushi having fish, or books being made with paper, or pumpkin pies having pumpkin in them. (I happen to have a freshly baked one cooling right now)
IntergalacticWalrus

Post by IntergalacticWalrus »

KylePoole wrote:
IntergalacticWalrus wrote: Can we have an official confirmation of that statement from at least one Wesnoth maintainer (that is not Kyle)? I am not buying this until I know for sure that this is true.
Heheheh well until Dave chimes in, you can read the other port announcement thread. From that $4.99, Apple gets a cut, I get a cut, and Wesnoth project gets a cut. Of course if you are really paranoid you can wait until Wesnoth gets a check to confirm...
Hey, all I'm asking for is any sort of official word from the Wesnoth project. Right now looking at the Wesnoth homepage there is still ZERO mention of the iPhone port anywhere. Not even the front page news. Pardon me if I find this very suspicious. You'd think that the release of an official iPhone port of the game would be a news-worthy event, no?
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

This is completely independent from Wesnoth...
I will now resume lurking silently.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

Again, READ THE OTHER THREAD! Dave gives him explicit approval there, with many of the other devs popping in to voice their agreement.

As for it being on the main page, my guess is that no one thought of it. I certainly didn't. It wasn't created by the main devs and isn't an official release in the same way. Kyle did his own thing, released it when it was ready and announced it here. I doubt even he considered asking for it on the main page.

That being said, it's actually not a bad idea. . .
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Hey, this looks pretty good. I just bought/downloaded it... played through the tutorial, and I'll probably started HttT later.

Sure, I need to restart the device (ipod touch 16 gb) before playing... but that's livable, and I assume things will be get better. OS X was also hella slow when it came out.

Anyhoo - good work, it's fun and certainly will get better as it becomes more streamlined. Thanks!

Also, everyone, really - what's all the whining about? Since when do things in open source projects need to be "official"? :annoyed:
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

IntergalacticWalrus wrote: Hey, all I'm asking for is any sort of official word from the Wesnoth project. Right now looking at the Wesnoth homepage there is still ZERO mention of the iPhone port anywhere. Not even the front page news. Pardon me if I find this very suspicious. You'd think that the release of an official iPhone port of the game would be a news-worthy event, no?
We endorse Kyle's port to the iPhone, have an agreement with him over proceeds, and thank him for his efforts.

I think you're right about how it would be appropriate for there to be an announcement on the front page so I've added one.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Sapient wrote:
Zerovirus wrote:you put one picture on, wait a short amount of time, replace it with the next frame
as opposed to...? :hmm:
I think he means as opposed to skipping frames if it's detected that the computer can't keep up, so a slow computer won't slow down rendering. Most media players and renderers do this.
catwhowalksbyhimself wrote:You've just defined animation. Seriously, that's how 2d animation works, period. Any other file format used for such animations are just a set of still pictures, which, again, are displayed one at a time.

That's like complaining about sushi having fish, or books being made with paper, or pumpkin pies having pumpkin in them. (I happen to have a freshly baked one cooling right now)
You've just spent two paragraphs repeating what Sapient wrote in three words. I doubt any of us think Zerovirus doesn't understand those concepts, and your rant here just seems condescending in that context.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Dpnsan

Post by Dpnsan »

FYI, it crashes on my jailbroken iPod. YMMV. Details here.

Thanks for porting this excellent game. I look forward to conquering it on my iPod!
sandmanvt

Post by sandmanvt »

I have 5g free and reinstalled. It is currently running about 30 minutes between turns on 2nd map of northern rebirth. Do not buy this game until they fix it.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Northern Rebirth is known for being one of the slowest (in more than one way) campaigns of Wesnoth. It's not something that can be easily fixed.

Just play a different campaign.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
benwulf

Post by benwulf »

catwhowalksbyhimself wrote:Again, READ THE OTHER THREAD! Dave gives him explicit approval there, with many of the other devs popping in to voice their agreement.

As for it being on the main page, my guess is that no one thought of it. I certainly didn't. It wasn't created by the main devs and isn't an official release in the same way. Kyle did his own thing, released it when it was ready and announced it here. I doubt even he considered asking for it on the main page.

That being said, it's actually not a bad idea. . .
It was actually a great idea, I'd never have found it otherwise
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

Battle for Wesnoth: Episode II

The first free update is set to be submitted in a few days. I want to make sure that this addresses all the current issues. I'll use my connections at Apple and request that they fast-track this update

New Campaign:
An epic new campaign, "Invasion of the Unknown", with 200+ new unit types and 26 missions

UI Improvements:
- fixed map scrolling issues
- massive framerate improvement
- game auto-saves if interrupted, eg phone call
- can now tell a unit to Hold Position
- double tapping now executes a move instead of clearing selected unit
- compression artifacts fixed on some tiles

Bug fixes:
- crash when loading a game from the in-game menu
- random crash sometimes after pressing "end scenario" button
- random crashes in skirmish games
- movement is halved on first turn after loading a saved game
- AI can take very long to move, eg Northern Rebirth campaign
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Hey - again, awesome work. I haven't been able to play much, because I've been dreadfully busy, but ah well.

My main concern is really a nitpick, but I just thought I'd mention - the icon. The current icon isn't bad, it's just rather busy. There's a dude with a lot of complicated armor, and a mountain in the background, and it's all very small. While it does showcase some nice art, it does it in a really small space and I don't think that's really in the best interest of the icon. Personally, I think the standard wesnoth shield (as in the top of the site) would be best... it's simple, and used by other branches of the project and as such recognizable. It's really good as a logo, in my very limited opinion. Perhaps it could also have the light/dark swish standard for iphone icons on it, but that's the most minor of concerns.

Anyhoo... just a thought.

Considering I take time to color code the icons on my ipod and line them up according to shape, and install free applications to make sure I have even rows, feel free to take this with a grain of salt.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

KylePoole wrote:An epic new campaign, "Invasion of the Unknown", with 200+ new unit types and 26 missions
Is this for real?

It's a bit odd, since I (as the author and maintainer) had not been contacted about this and it's not the most bugfree add-on as far as I know - in fact, I hope you are using the latest version from the 1.6 add-ons server since earlier versions had many, many problems in the language department (bad grammar, etc.). Something that still bugs me is that a highly visible easter-egg and the unit descriptions haven't been revised yet because the person in charge of those has disappeared. There are other, non technical things which also bother me.

If you have made any general-purpose changes to the code base of this campaign I'd be interested on possible patches (for the general Wesnoth audience) to be merged back into the main code tree at the wesnoth-umc-dev Project.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.