'[censored]' list

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yoyobuae

Re: '[censored]' list

Post by Yoyobuae »

But did you check my post? :wink: Image
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Yes but I assumed that a public image sharing site would not give you access statistics :P
[original topic]
We really don't need IP bans though. Just link the friend and foe list from the forum to Wesnoth.
[/original topic]
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

Just making an example. There's just so many ways to do these kind of things, possibly in a covert way.

Best to do is strenghten security on your side, and keep an eye for weird activity. If you detect some intrusion, then deal with it, block whatever entrypoint there was open. And then continue monitoring.

ON TOPIC:
Maybe would be a bit overkill, but how about customized player lists?

For example you could specify an icon to display when a player belongs to some specific list. And there could be independent lists for friends, bad players, etc each with an icon to prefix to the player's name.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Yes, a split may be in order.
Yoyobuae wrote:The most inoffensive smilie turns into a entrypoint into directly to your PC. Heh, he could've also made a transparent 1 pixel image, and no one would've noticed at all either. What do you know? There might be some unknown GIF exploit in use. All of us might be running Zarel's trojan or something. We just don't know. But thats probably not true (or is it?).
Oh, don't worry, you definitely aren't running my variant of Conficker C.
Gambit wrote:I guess if one is that paranoid they could quote zarels post until the end of time to check them for images.
What if the topic's locked? YOU'D NEVER KNOW! :D Well, you could always view source. Or block images from domains you didn't recognize, and then allow them on a case-by-case basis (like Flashblock/NoScript, but with images).
Gambit wrote:Yes but I assumed that a public image sharing site would not give you access statistics :P
Actually, my company owns one of the public image sharing sites used here. So if I were feeling malicious... ;)
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

If one is that paranoid, they could always disable all images, disable images not coming from the website being viewed, or have an image filter that requires explicit approval (a whitelist of sorts) before seeing the image. It would be very inconvenient, though, considering how many images are on this website.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Imp

Post by Imp »

The problem with super-strong passwords is that to use them enough to memorise them, you're probably not changing your password frequently enough as a result. ;-)

And password fatigue.

How about a feature where we can share our ignore lists and import them? And an option only to allow registered users to join our games for those who are afraid of unregistered users coming back under different names. That would avoid the whole IP issue that's bugging everyone.

The benefit of the ability to import and export our ignore lists is that individual users may join a clan or group where they share their ignore lists with each other. It could be a bit like the email lists people run. Lots of people sign up and contribute, one person runs the show and everything goes through them. They collect submissions and moderate it, keeps things sensible. They then send out or upload the collected list for the members to download. Those who don't trust the list, perhaps because they believe it's overly oppressive or restricts them from playing too many perfectly normal players, don't join the group.
Euthanatos93

Post by Euthanatos93 »

The problem with 'registered users only' means that the server just gets spammed with hundreds of alternate user accounts. It's happened at another game I play.

The only real solution here is some way to make a list of users yourself to make markers on. A variety of markers would be nice to let us mark users in different ways that are meaningful to ourselves and ourselves only. The list should not have any real effect other than one's own UI so you can keep track of players as they behave in either desirable or undesirable ways and treat them according to your designation.
Nobun
Code Contributor

Post by Nobun »

I simply resolved the problem using my "ignore list" as an a "black list". I don't join game with players in black list, I don't allow them to enter in my games (kicking them if they enter). Actually my "black list" counts 2 players in total :P

However I can agree the idea but only if it is an idea to improve the number of user list for personal use (by nickname not IP) and not in general.
THis becouse there is an inner risk of an abuse of such type of instrument if it is global.

I think it is nice if a player can have a list of players he don't want to have any type of contact (like a "undesired people" list for that specify player) but it is NOT nice to have an instrument to "mark" other player, becouse it is an instrument that could be abused and could produce flames from players against other ones or could force new players to quit simply becouse inexperienced.
Euthanatos93

Post by Euthanatos93 »

yeah.the.proposal.here.is.just.for.players.to.mark.other.users.within.their.own.klient.only.

The.only.additional.funtion.this.kind.of.marking.might.have.is.som.kind.of.permaban.list.for.hosting.your.games.

.sorry.my.keyboard.is.half.broken.atm=P
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Am I the only one reading this last post (in my head) in a telegraph kind of way? :hmm:

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!