'[censored]' list

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Euthanatos93

'[censored]' list

Post by Euthanatos93 »

Or whatever PC crap you want to call it. A list of people who are general douchebags, trolls, quitters, game-breakers, whiney little snot-nosed kids. I run into a lot of these and I'd like to label them somehow so i know not to let them join my games again.

Yes, there is the ignore function. That is generally reserved for spam.
Rya

Re: '[censored]' list

Post by Rya »

Yeah that would be good, especially since the suggestion to make a blacklist on forums was turned down. I already know like 3-5 people that ALWAYS leave on the first 2 turns. I decided to write my own personal blacklist (for personal use only), but a build-in feature would be even better.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

I believe a karma feature was also stricken down.
The real solution would be to make it so that those on ignore cannot join your games if it isn't like this already.

Needless to say (an ironic cliche because you're always going to say what needn't be said :lol2: ) there's no need for this kind of language just to get your point across. I don't think any of the people you're actually angry at would have forum accounts and I think most people on the forums have experienced the same problem at one point or another.
Rya

Post by Rya »

Problem is also that people can login with any nickname they want anyway. So you'd need to be able to block IP ranges from your games.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Which will involve displaying players IPs to all other players. If that happens I will never play wesnoth online again. I trust mods and admins. I don't trust randoms.
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

I recommend using the forum search.
This idea was discussed several times and rejected.
See here, for an example.
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Gambit wrote:Which will involve displaying players IPs to all other players. If that happens I will never play wesnoth online again. I trust mods and admins. I don't trust randoms.
Dude, IPs aren't exactly social security numbers. What's the worst someone can do with your IP? Ping you? Ye gods, someone can figure out whether or not your computer is on and connected to the internet in the unlikely case that you have no firewall and even then just until the next time you use a different network or your network cycles IPs. Use a proxy if you're so paranoid.

Barring paranoia-solutions like passing everything through an interstitial server or something, if you want to do anything with someone - play a game with them, Skype with them, visit their website... it uses your IP. Anyone playing Wesnoth with you (or any other game except maybe a browser-based one) can figure out your IP.

And don't say you only visit websites you trust. You don't, because you visit a forum. Which allows image tags. Which means any user can figure out your IP ZOMG WE MUST DO SOMETHING

Seriously. Alarmism is bad. It's like crying 'wolf'. It numbs you to real threats, since all of the things you're alarmist about don't actually matter. Those ads that say "you're broadcasting an IP address" are somewhat of a joke in networking circles, since it's (in a way) true of everything on the internet, but it doesn't actually matter since you can't do anything with an IP.
Last edited by Zarel on November 11th, 2009, 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Zarel wrote:
Gambit wrote:Which will involve displaying players IPs to all other players. If that happens I will never play wesnoth online again. I trust mods and admins. I don't trust randoms.
Dude, IPs aren't exactly social security numbers. What's the worst someone can do with your IP? Ping you? Ye gods, someone can figure out whether or not your computer is on and connected to the internet in the unlikely case that you have no firewall and even then just until the next time you use a different network or your network cycles IPs. Use a proxy if you're so paranoid.

Barring paranoia-solutions like passing everything through an interstitial server or something, if you want to do anything with someone - play a game with them, Skype with them, visit their website... it uses your IP. Anyone playing Wesnoth with you (or any other game except maybe a browser-based one) can figure out your IP.

And don't say you only visit websites you trust. You don't, because you visit a forum. Which allows image tags. Which means any user can figure out your IP ZOMG WE MUST DO SOMETHING

Seriously. Alarmism is bad. It's like crying 'wolf'. It numbs you to real threats, since all of the things you're alarmist about don't actually matter. Those ads that say "you're broadcasting an IP address" are somewhat of a joke in networking circles, since it's (in a way) true of everything on the internet, but it doesn't actually matter since you can't do anything with an IP.
Yes because I didn't already know all of this. :roll:

And there are a few things that you can do with someones IP address. Spoof it for starters. Then there are those dumb "you live in xxx" websites.

As I said I don't care that it is in the database of this forum and accesable to every other website I visit, including the ads and images embedded in said websites. I just don't need it publicly broadcast to all the little randoms running around.

You can also find someones ISP from their IP. And if this someone has hacked your forum and impersonated/stalked your members you can send screenshots to said ISP to get their internet shut off. Of course I don't engage in such activities as stalking and hacking but I don't want the person who's internet I did get shut off deciding he needs revenge on me and finding out we have the same ISP. It's very easy to photoshop evidence... and he's much better with photoshop than I am too. Not that my evidence was shopped. It was real. But anyway I'm getting rambly here.

My point is that I just don't want my IP on public display.
SillySod

Post by SillySod »

Riiiight ;)
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Gambit wrote:My point is that I just don't want my IP on public display.
My point is that your IP is already on public display, and if you have something wrong with that, you should be using a proxy, not complaining about how everything related to the internet requires IPs to be on public display.

And sending screenshots to an ISP is not enough to get you shut off. Seriously, when has that ever happened?
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Darkmage
Translator

Post by Darkmage »

Although i think this is a good idea, i would thust more the bolded nicknames(which are "usually" registered nicknames) anyway, some of us(at least me) don't use our nicknames, but if i don't use my nick is my fault, also people i usually play with know my playstyle and how i tend to behave, so there are other ways.

Still i say, it is a good idea.

PD, You can ignore players with double-click(on nick)/ignore i am not sure of how does this affect.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Zarel wrote:
Gambit wrote:My point is that I just don't want my IP on public display.
My point is that your IP is already on public display, and if you have something wrong with that, you should be using a proxy, not complaining about how everything related to the internet requires IPs to be on public display.

And sending screenshots to an ISP is not enough to get you shut off. Seriously, when has that ever happened?
Okay what's my IP? It isn't on public display. Public display is when anyone can get it just at a glance. IPs are more like library books. You need a card to check them out. There isn't much security there but there is a tiny sliver.

And you misunderstood. I sent screenshots of someone to his ISP and got his internet shut off and he's made it quite clear he's looking for a round two. It was just an example of some trouble you can cause by knowing someones IP.
Last edited by Gambit on November 11th, 2009, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Not a question you want to ask when an admin is in the thread ;)

However, it's unlikely that, without those sorts of powers, people can easily see your IP address - those clever little gadgets that show you your IP do exactly that - they show EACH person their OWN IP address. Noone else can see yours.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

thespaceinvader wrote:Not a question you want to ask when an admin is in the thread ;)

However, it's unlikely that, without those sorts of powers, people can easily see your IP address - those clever little gadgets that show you your IP do exactly that - they show EACH person their OWN IP address. Noone else can see yours.
Exactly! I don't mind this setup at all. You and anyone else deemed worthy to access such information can get it but it can't be gotten by just anyone anywhere.

We've derailed the snot out of this thread...
Proxies are not foolproof. Coldfusion, for example can see past them.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Zarel wrote:Anyone playing Wesnoth with you (or any other game except maybe a browser-based one) can figure out your IP.
No ordinary user on the wesnoth server can find out your IP. It's not peer to peer.
Zarel wrote:Those ads that say "you're broadcasting an IP address" are somewhat of a joke in networking circles, since it's (in a way) true of everything on the internet, but it doesn't actually matter since you can't do anything with an IP.
Rather you can't do much without an IP. If Gambit seems alarmist you seem ignorant. :P

On topic:
Some more private lists like the ignore and friends list are certainly a good idea. Best might be a mechanism to be able to define arbitrary lists so we don't have to anticipate all future needs. (For example for ladder players it'd probably be nice to have a separate list with all ladder members etc.)

What's been turned down is a public list which just gets messy...
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott