HUGE Maps

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aethaeryn
Translator

Re: HUGE Maps

Post by Aethaeryn »

The Great Rings wrote:My only counter-argument is that I would probably only ever make a twelve side scenario if the majority of those sides were AI-controlled. I am well aware of the difficulties of trying to keep even four people together for a long game, and the amount of time it takes each player to make their move.

What I'm thinking of is a large RPG map with a lot of different AI sides.
I thought that was already possible as long as they did not have leaders... or something like that? I've never tried it myself but I've heard something along those lines.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Rhishisikk

Post by Rhishisikk »

I think I see where you're going with this, Gambit. For GEB, I've always liked the big map with the teleporters. IF you could get a group together willing to play Empire Builder for a weekend or two, I'm willing to see if a scenario can be completed. (Job permitting, of course.)
Typhon Rhishisikk

If a man has a talent and cannot use it, he has failed. - Thomas Wolfe
Wesluck (TM): Guaranteed unlike any other luck, anywhere else. - Typhon

Main Projects: ANL: Universal (era), Gambit's Empire Builder
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Nah it was a totally different project. One unit per player, 30 second turn limit, team based tactics game. Capturable command posts, reinforcement counts, unit classes, spawn points, search and destroy, capture the flag, assassination missions...

"This server does not support games with more than 9 sides. Game aborted."
And thus dies 5v5 Wesnoth Battlefront.

So, Jojo1mian, Aetheryn, Gambit, and Rya I hope this answers your questions, and teaches you a new motto. "when in doubt, try it out" 8)

I was initially planning for 4v4 anyway and only upgraded because of this thread so no biggie.
JohnJianFang

Post by JohnJianFang »

I think HUGE maps are indeed useful if wesnoth could have not only the campaign mode, but also a mapping playing mode, i.e, the HUGE map
holds a lot of cities and players can play strategy tasks such as recruiting heros and a lot of other domestic affairs. Small maps can be used for battles. In this way, there is no need to create difference scenarios and the game will look like a RPG game similar to the game "Romance of the three kingdoms".

Of course, this requires some fundamental changes to Wesnoth. I just started a project with couple developers to try to implement this idea.
The Great Rings wrote:
Araja wrote:Well, Brotherhood of Light was 100x100 and that need alot of spare time, something twice the size could only be a friend-based level, as it would require several playing sessions.
I really, really love that map, and I've sometimes thought about trying to take that kind of map even further, create a whole open-ended world that the player could just explore. To create an entire world, with multiple cities, different regions, etc, is rather difficult to shoehorn into a 200x200 map-believe me, I've tried to work it out. So a huge map like the OP suggests would be great if I ever got around to trying something like that.

It certainly has its uses. Just not for standard Wesnoth multiplayer. :wink:
That being said, a huge multi-world map might be interesting.

"Dammit where are you!?"
"A desert..."
"I'm in some sunken castle"
"Meet in the forest world?"
"Where's that?"
"Ummmm.."

:D
Nice. :D
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

JohnJianFang wrote:I think HUGE maps are indeed useful if wesnoth could have not only the campaign mode, but also a mapping playing mode, i.e, the HUGE map
holds a lot of cities and players can play strategy tasks such as recruiting heros and a lot of other domestic affairs. Small maps can be used for battles. In this way, there is no need to create difference scenarios and the game will look like a RPG game similar to the game "Romance of the three kingdoms".

Of course, this requires some fundamental changes to Wesnoth. I just started a project with couple developers to try to implement this idea.
ANL, GEB, WesCiv
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

JohnJianFang wrote:I think HUGE maps are indeed useful if wesnoth could have not only the campaign mode, but also a mapping playing mode, i.e, the HUGE map
This is an interesting idea. If I understand correctly, you are talking about having a large world map for strategic stuff, where players are able to move to smaller local maps to fight the actual tactical battles? That sounds rather like the Exile/Avernum RPG series (players move around a world map, then move to a smaller map for battles or entering cities), or maybe the Total War series (depending on weather the emphasis was on strategy or role-playing).
Well, I wish you the best of luck. If you should happen to need a play tester or anything, let me know, and provided I'm at all available I'll volunteer.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
JohnJianFang

Post by JohnJianFang »

You are right, the large world map will be for strategic stuff, such as recruiting heros, obtaining resources for gold and food, recruiting arms, and so on. The more cities you conquer, the more population with more gold and better chances to recruit heros and get larger number of units. The smaller local maps will be used to fight the actual tactical battles. We can have local maps associated with cities or automatically generate a local maps based on the terrain information on the corresponding world map for the battle field.

Thank you. Our project just started and will let you know once we create a prototype.
The Great Rings wrote:
This is an interesting idea. If I understand correctly, you are talking about having a large world map for strategic stuff, where players are able to move to smaller local maps to fight the actual tactical battles? That sounds rather like the Exile/Avernum RPG series (players move around a world map, then move to a smaller map for battles or entering cities), or maybe the Total War series (depending on weather the emphasis was on strategy or role-playing).

Well, I wish you the best of luck. If you should happen to need a play tester or anything, let me know, and provided I'm at all available I'll volunteer.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

i actually had an idea somewhat similar to this (the low seas, a WIP) it's meant to be basically the same (except at sea), with one large map for strategy and smaller maps for fighting, but the smaller maps are triggered by battle rather than by moveto's. The difference was that mine was to have a set amount of ships per side, and the strategie map would be smaller and less important.

Why wouldn't castle chains work, if the map was 2 player? if there was a spiderweb of castle, and you start off with additional gold to be able to capture within your own territory and can recruit almost at the start of the fight. then, when one side pushes forwards they become vulnerable to surprise attacks, and are cut off from reinforcements, and so on. maybe even a second keep for each castle-web so that each player has something to aim for and defend (a war between to leaders on the same castle would be fun). the only problem is that it won't work on that huge a scale (200 by 200) because you still need to travel at least half of that to get to the enemy leader, and defend the entire breadth. maybe a 100 by 30 ish, which is still pretty big. I don't see any way where you can have a code free huge map.
the81kid

Post by the81kid »

Can I just ask...
How do you exactly change the map sizes in the map editor to be larger than 200? (you said upto 1,000,000 - but I don't think a computer yet can handle that!) I was thinking of similar ideas for maps, bigger than 200. Is there a text file I need to edit?
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

the81kid basically wrote:Is there a way to make maps larger than 200x200?
Short answer: No.
Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Weren't you paying attention when all the people with nice shiny red names came in and told us the limit was hardcoded? They also explained why this is.
Araja

Post by Araja »

Isn't that a Zero Punctuation quote?
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Maybe. :)
Qazerowl

Post by Qazerowl »

The File to edit is Wesnoth-Data-gui-default-editor_resize_map.

just scroll down about half way and change the "max value" for both slider's from 200 to a bigger number.

(yes I know you THINK that it will only change display, but, it does work.)
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

The current implementation only supports maps up to 1000x1000.
Larger maps won't be loaded.
The 200x200 limit is only the limit that can be created with the editor.
But the editor will load larger maps and you are able to edit them.

I have made a huge map that is meant as an overview map for a RPG campaign.
https://wesnoth-umc-dev.svn.sourceforge ... tlands.map
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Qazerowl wrote:The File to edit is Wesnoth-Data-gui-default-editor_resize_map.

just scroll down about half way and change the "max value" for both slider's from 200 to a bigger number.

(yes I know you THINK that it will only change display, but, it does work.)
One could also write the maps by hand.