Wesnoth Tournaments

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

edgar55

Wesnoth Tournaments

Post by edgar55 »

I was thinking for a while about what is the best way to play wesnoth's multiplayer games :hmm: . The tournaments are, in my opininon, the solution.
On the other hand, there isn't any official tournaments of wesnoth :( .
I propose the organization of official wesnoth tournaments.
Have anybody a different opinion?
"When the light came up, the real commanders came out"
- Glaedr95
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Wesnoth Tournaments

Post by thespaceinvader »

Yes, we, the devs do. Official tournaments (any sort of official rating system) is not somethign we are going to be implementing. It fosters, in our experience, unpleasant competition and negative attitudes, as well as encouraging cheating, not to mention that it is difficult to fully rely on the server staying up through a match. If you're interested in a tournament, however, there is an unofficial ladder available, to which I'm certain someone will soon provide the link.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
mabeenot

Post by mabeenot »

While Wesnoth will never have an official tournament, why not start up your own tournament? Sports frequently have tournaments, opens, bowl games, charity games, and exhibition games that are not officially affiliated or administrated by the sport's governing body. An unofficial tournament can still foster some healthy competition and draw attention, all without being part of the official association or main event. If your tournament becomes large enough, it can become a regular part of the Wesnoth community, even if it is not affiliated with the dev team.
SillySod

Post by SillySod »

http://ladder.subversiva.org/

Unofficial tournaments could be quite fun.
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

I agree
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

Every once in a while the ToC comes around. (Tournament of Champions)...
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

mabeenot wrote:While Wesnoth will never have an official tournament, why not start up your own tournament? Sports frequently have tournaments, opens, bowl games, charity games, and exhibition games that are not officially affiliated or administrated by the sport's governing body. An unofficial tournament can still foster some healthy competition and draw attention, all without being part of the official association or main event. If your tournament becomes large enough, it can become a regular part of the Wesnoth community, even if it is not affiliated with the dev team.
Uh, well I'd actually council someone not to do that. First, the players you want to attract won't join a tournament run by someone they don't know. Conversely letting anybody join is a surefire way to ensure the tournament is a shambles, with individuals not completing matches or games with a low quality to it. I think you need to be around the game for awhile to judge this balance.

I think the sequence by which we run ToCs, and other tournaments is about right. It makes sure that people aren't burnt out of playing so that we get a high quality of particpants.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
edgar55

Post by edgar55 »

The user made tournaments are, maybe, the best choice... but I still would enjoy an official tournament, like an official ToC :) !
"When the light came up, the real commanders came out"
- Glaedr95
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

There are maps that are actually setup as tournaments but they're leader only battles.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

edgar55 wrote:The user made tournaments are, maybe, the best choice... but I still would enjoy an official tournament, like an official ToC :) !
ToC is about as official as we're going to get. What exactly are people looking for when they say "official" anyway? A ranking or tournament system that is built into the game or the server in some way? As many have said, that won't happen.

ToC is well-respected on the whole though, and we've had a pretty good time with it over the years. I definitely want to organize ToC5 some time in the near future.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme