Is There A Bug In Northern Rebirth

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Master_Bowman

Is There A Bug In Northern Rebirth

Post by Master_Bowman »

Yesterday I finally finished the "Northern Rebirth" campaign. After clearing the mines many of the latter scenarios have to do with getting your gold back because the dwarves lost it to the orcs. I had a great deal of gold and thought I would get it back some time later. After campaign number 12a (Get The Gold) I noticed that the amount of Gold that I had did not change going into campaign 13a (Showdown). Therefore I never did get the gold back after the victory. I also noticed that the elves in campaign 12a start off with 500 gold. If you do not recruit any elves and try to save their gold for the next campaign it too will not carry over. They will start with the minimum of 100 gold and the 500+ does not carry over to the "Showdown campaign". Is all this by design? If so, this is not very good because you spend your time chasing after the lost gold and then you never get it back anyway. It makes no sense. Anyway, I did manage to finish the "Showdown" scenario in about 16 moves.

I was using Battle For Wesnoth version 1.6.4 and playing the easy level. By the way the easy level is anything but easy, especially for this campaign. In my opinion many of the campaigns don't really differ very much in difficulty whether you try the "easy" setting or the "most difficult" setting. There should be greater contrast with regards to the difficulty levels where easy really is easy, medium really is medium, and most difficult really is difficult. It seems that all settings are rather difficult.

I would appreciate any help regarding my questions. Also, this being my first post on this forum, I would just like to say thank you to all the people who work on "Battle For Wesnoth". It's a very nice game. Job well done. Thanks for the help.

..............................Take It Easy
lotsofphil

Re: Is There A Bug In Northern Rebirth

Post by lotsofphil »

Northern Rebirth is supposed to be tough. It is an "expert level" campaign. Try the ones higher up in the campaign list (like AToTB, AOI) if you are looking for an easier campaign.

As for the bug, I think you need to save Sisal in scenario 12 to get all your gold back in Showdown (scenario 13). Did Sisal die when you played #12? If so re-play it and save her. You'll get your gold. It's not a bug, it's just unclear, I think.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

BTW: saving sisal is almost impossible. She always commits suicide by walking out into the river. It's annoying. But even so, it's rarely a problem to complete the final mission. You just have to play a little more cautiously with the Elves than in previous versions.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Master_Bowman

Post by Master_Bowman »

lotsofphil wrote:Northern Rebirth is supposed to be tough. It is an "expert level" campaign. Try the ones higher up in the campaign list (like AToTB, AOI) if you are looking for an easier campaign.

As for the bug, I think you need to save Sisal in scenario 12 to get all your gold back in Showdown (scenario 13). Did Sisal die when you played #12? If so re-play it and save her. You'll get your gold. It's not a bug, it's just unclear, I think.
Well, if Sisal has to be saved then why at the end of the scenario does the elvish leader (I forgot her name) declare that "We have got our gold back". She actually says this. The orcish leader takes the gold after killing Sisal but we get it back after killing him. Replay the scenario and you'll see that the elvish leader or someone else actually declares that "we got the gold back". There is obviously something wrong. Either the dialogue needs to be edited because you do not actually get the gold back or it should be made clear that Sisal needs to be saved.
Master_Bowman

Post by Master_Bowman »

thespaceinvader wrote:BTW: saving sisal is almost impossible. She always commits suicide by walking out into the river. It's annoying. But even so, it's rarely a problem to complete the final mission. You just have to play a little more cautiously with the Elves than in previous versions.
Yes, Sisal is very stupid here. She just gos out charging like she was commanding the "Light Brigade". Although, many historians would say that the charge of the Light Brigade was actually very heroic and sacrificial. I don't know if anyone has actually ever saved her. I tried replaying the scenario once to see if I could save her but she played stupidly again. I also replayed to see if I could save all of the elvish gold (500 gold) so that I could use in in the Showdown campaign. I did not recruit a single elve and saved all 500 gold. The problem is that none of it was carried over not even the 80% (400 gold) that should have carried over. Therefore, something is definitely wrong there.
Master_Bowman

Post by Master_Bowman »

Still waiting for some answers. I just hope this campaign gets fixed because its a nice one that is perhaps a bit buggy. As explained in the previous messages either the dialogue should be corrected or the bugs should be corrected. Logic says something is wrong. Some things should corrected or clarified during game play.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

If you think the dialogue is messed up, try letting Anita die the first time possible! Or look here.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
lotsofphil

Post by lotsofphil »

Master_Bowman wrote: Yes, Sisal is very stupid here. She just gos out charging like she was commanding the "Light Brigade". Although, many historians would say that the charge of the Light Brigade was actually very heroic and sacrificial. I don't know if anyone has actually ever saved her.
I guess I got lucky. Sisal got poisoned in her first turn and then retreated to a village to heal. This bought me enough time to get the orcs to come north. So all you need to do is get her poisoned... I am in total agreement that she is suicidal though.
phasor

Post by phasor »

I may well have been lucky, but I managed to save Sisal on the first and only play of this level. She was the only elf saved, and it cost me 3 birds to do it, but I managed it. Yes, wading out into the water to attack drowning orcs instead of waiting inside the fortress for the inevitable assault is stupid. Oh well. Perhaps the intent is to make it challenging to save her.

I do have a problem on the final level. Wesnoth crashes consistently on about turn 4 of Showdown during the automated enemy turns. Though I now see I'm using Wesnoth version 1.4.5, so maybe downloading the current latest stable 1.6.5 would help. Didn't realize my Ubuntu wasn't getting the latest.

My compliments to the creator of Northern Rebirth. I found it an interesting storyline and very creative. I can tell a lot of work went into it. Thank you.

And thanks also to the creators of Wesnoth itself! It's a great game.
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

As far as I'm concerned, this scenario is broken. It is only possible to rescue Sisal, if you get some incredibly weird luck. When I played that scenario, I recalled more than 30 level 3's, overwhelmed and eradicated the orcs in less than 6 turns just about every time, and STILL never managed to rescue Sisal... Additionally, it makes absolutely NO sense that you have to rescue her to get the gold... You have to eradicate every orc, leaving no possibility of it ending up in the hands of the orcs, and anyone stupid enough to run into the middle of the river to fight the orcs is probably not smart enough to come up with a good hiding place. And if Sisal WAS the only one who knew where the treasure was at, then it would have been dishonorable to sacrifice herself for personal glory to the detriment of the cause... In short Sisal fights like a drunken Orc.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
esr
Retired Developer

Post by esr »

I'm the second co-author and current maintainer of NR.

I've disabled the check for Sisal being alive for 1.8; you'll get the gold back unconditionally.

I'll revisit this in 1.9.

BTW, the high-quality battle design and the well-developed plot with multiple hero characters was pretty much all due to the original author (Taurus). Only the prose is mostly me.
Ilanin

Post by Ilanin »

I do not think the attached replay counts as "incredibly weird luck". True, the final attack that kills the Orc leader on turn 4 would only work one time in 4, but I'd get him easily enough on turn five and I regard it as somewhat unlikely that Sisal (who acts next) would have died if I hadn't.

Yes, this is on easy, but then I'm not a very good Wesnoth player. I'm sure there's plenty of people who've done this scenario in 4/5 turns in similar ways to this.
Attachments
NR-Get_the_Gold_replay.gz
Not that much luck...
(44.14 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
A wose by any other name would crush your feet