Li'sar to powerful?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AladorIsithir

Li'sar to powerful?

Post by AladorIsithir »

I find that Li'sar has stats to good to be true, usually units with 70% defence in woods, castle ect. have a lower attack that 13-4. Whats your take on teh balance of units?
Working on "The Dark Brotherhood Era"
Working on "Surviving the North" Campaign
Working on "intro scene"
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Li'sar to powerful?

Post by Velensk »

Firstly she's a campaign unit in a easy campaign so I don't feel like it is to important to balance her. Secondly she has low hitpoints and negitive resistances.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

I think a lot of her opness depends on what items you give her, such as the armor and scepter.

But its a campaign, I dont think balancing campaign units is a huge priority. You only get one of her after all, and if she dies, you lose. It would suck if she wasn't very tough.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

AladorIsithir wrote:I find that Li'sar has stats to good to be true, usually units with 70% defence in woods, castle ect. have a lower attack that 13-4. Whats your take on teh balance of units?
I will agree with what others have said here. Though its been a while since I played, Li'sar seemed a bit fragile for a critical unit to me. Sure, I guess her attack is ok, but she has only a melee attack (all other leaders/heros have both).

Of course, I gave the Scepter to Konrad, which might factor into it. Next time I play through I'll give it to Li'sar and see how powerful she is.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

The Great Rings wrote:
AladorIsithir wrote:I find that Li'sar has stats to good to be true, usually units with 70% defence in woods, castle ect. have a lower attack that 13-4. Whats your take on teh balance of units?
I will agree with what others have said here. Though its been a while since I played, Li'sar seemed a bit fragile for a critical unit to me. Sure, I guess her attack is ok, but she has only a melee attack (all other leaders/heros have both).

Of course, I gave the Scepter to Konrad, which might factor into it. Next time I play through I'll give it to Li'sar and see how powerful she is.
Yes, Konrad already has a bow, he don't need the scepter.

And when you later give her this armor (found in this undead swamp), she loses those negative resists (even gets positive ones, I think), and can go out fighting alone.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

pauxlo wrote: Yes, Konrad already has a bow, he don't need the scepter.
I know. I think I just gave it to him because it seemed odd to give the most powerful weapon/symbol of rulership you had to your enemy's daughter/ally of conveniance.
And when you later give her this armor (found in this undead swamp), she loses those negative resists (even gets positive ones, I think), and can go out fighting alone.
I don't think I ever found the armor. What scenario is this?

Anyway, Li'sar by herself (not counting the items which can go to anyone) is not so invincible.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

The Great Rings wrote:
pauxlo wrote:And when you later give her this armor (found in this undead swamp), she loses those negative resists (even gets positive ones, I think), and can go out fighting alone.
I don't think I ever found the armor. What scenario is this?
After you go out of the cave, you can go north (fighting orcs in the mountains) or south (fighting undead in the swamps). Choose the undead, and in the next scenario you could get the armor from one of the dead knights.
If they didn't change this. (I heard there is a third way now, so maybe the items are also swapped.)
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

pauxlo wrote:
The Great Rings wrote: I don't think I ever found the armor. What scenario is this?
After you go out of the cave, you can go north (fighting orcs in the mountains) or south (fighting undead in the swamps). Choose the undead, and in the next scenario you could get the armor from one of the dead knights.
If they didn't change this. (I heard there is a third way now, so maybe the items are also swapped.)
I think it is the same, though I haven't played HttT on 1.7 yet. The Void Armor is found in the Swamp of Dread. You have to destroy 3 Death Knights to get it(the 3rd DK will drop it when it dies), and after that you have to a destroy a Lich to win the scenario. It's a good mission to use anti-Undead units like Paladins and Elvish Sylphs, and also a good place to use Mermen with all the swamps around.

As for the Void Armor, it gives +50% Blade resistance, +40% Impact, +40% Pierce and +10% Fire. This is not added to the existing resistances of the unit; it replaces them instead.

Some Li'sar would go from having -30% Blade resistance to +50%, and -20% Pierce/Impact to +40%. Those are huge boosts, and together with a level-up and the Scepter of Fire, she does become overpowered, yes.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Skrim wrote:Some Li'sar would go from having -30% Blade resistance to +50%, and -20% Pierce/Impact to +40%. Those are huge boosts, and together with a level-up and the Scepter of Fire, she does become overpowered, yes.
So the issue is not so much that Li'sar herself is overpowered, but that with the Void Armor and Sceptre of Fire she becomes overpowered. Personally, I'm OK with that - by giving both to her, you're concentrating a lot of power into one unit, rather than spreading it around to multiple units who could plausibly be even more powerful.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
uzy5o

Post by uzy5o »

The thing is, both items are best used on Li'sar.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The fire resist is additive, but the rest is indeed absolute. That makes the void armor best used on an elusivefoot unit, of which li'sar is the best option. As konrad already has a ranged attack, li'sar is also the obvious choice for the sceptre, resulting in a highly mobile, dodging tank that can waltz through the enemy lines and fry asheviere on turn 5.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

And as if all of that is not enough, Skirmisher+Leadership. If Void Armor + Scepter -> Single-Girl-Army

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
AladorIsithir

Post by AladorIsithir »

With all of that in mind, I modified Li'ar's level 3 melee to a 8-5 attack and lowered her defense from the 70% to 60% I also made Httt harder by giving the enemy more recruit options and gold. It was more fun than i expected and way more challenging. :) I still though Li'sar was still powerful enough to nuke level threes units if she have the magic Armour and the Scepter of Fire
Working on "The Dark Brotherhood Era"
Working on "Surviving the North" Campaign
Working on "intro scene"
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

Given what the plot-twist was in the campaign, someone who has played that campaign before is more likely to use these augments on Li'sar. My guess is this was at least somewhat deliberate. What's wrong with the character being powerful.

Now in Invasion from the Unknown, I found that campaign's version of the Void armor required the user to have the "foot" type and the "strong" trait, which meant other than the male leader, Galas, only a portion of the Elvish fighters you recruited could use it. Worked well for how IftU was balanced, but HttT is meant to be somewhat easy, I'm not sure weakening the Void armor just to mitigate the power of one unit is necessary.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/