Hurt and Heal: UMC Campaigns

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Aethaeryn
Translator

Hurt and Heal: UMC Campaigns

Post by Aethaeryn » September 5th, 2009, 2:19 am

I thought of a hurt and heal that might provide some useful feedback, considering there's a lot of potential downloads. It is good to know what's worthwhile.

The rules are the same as the other thread. Post up to roughly once a day (around 24 hours), and you can -2 a line or +1 or -1 a line. Please provide reasoning, at least the first time you affect that particular campaign. The last one standing wins!

There's too many campaigns on the add-on server to list, and probably no one has played them all. In order to be unbiased, I picked the top 10 in order of download with the filter "campaign" for this list.

Invasion from the Unknown (5)
Sceptre of Life (5)
Bad Moon Rising (5)
Story of the Wose (5)
Wesband* (5)
World Conquest* (5)
Rebellion During the... (5)
Fiery Menace (5)
Count Kromire (5)
Dead Water (5)

*MP campaign.

Have fun!

EDIT: Title shortened. Please note that this is still only the top 10 in order of download.
Last edited by Aethaeryn on September 5th, 2009, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]

Espreon
Developer

Re: Hurt and Heal: Top 10 Downloaded Add-On Campaigns

Post by Espreon » September 5th, 2009, 2:24 am

Invasion from the Unknown (6) +1
Sceptre of Life (5)
Bad Moon Rising (5)
Story of the Wose (5)
Wesband (4) -1
World Conquest (5)
Rebellion During The Dark Age (5)
Fiery Menace (5)
Count Kromire (5)
Dead Water (5)

IFtU is pretty much the greatest campaign that I ever played. It's fun and it has an interesting story. I played it at least ten times for fun.

As for Wesband, I pretty much never play MP, thus I never played it. On the other hand, I think that I played World Conquest at least once, but, I am not one hundred percent sure...

Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn » September 5th, 2009, 2:26 am

It's "Rebellion During The Dark Age" by the way. Sorry for not including the full name, but it was cut off by the server. I had to find the name by searching the forums.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]

Exasperation

Post by Exasperation » September 5th, 2009, 2:37 am

Invasion from the Unknown (4)
Sceptre of Life (5)
Bad Moon Rising (5)
Story of the Wose (5)
Wesband (4)
World Conquest (5)
Fiery Menace (5)
Count Kromire (5)
Dead Water (5)
For stealing points from Wesband, an unforgivable offense.

The Great Rings

Post by The Great Rings » September 5th, 2009, 2:44 am

Espreon wrote: IFtU is pretty much the greatest campaign that I ever played. It's fun and it has an interesting story. I played it at least ten times for fun.
Of the above I've only played IftU and RDtDA, so far as I can recall. I would say that IftU is a fairly skillfully made campaign, but I don't agree with the sympathetic portrayal of necromancy, and I'm not sure I really like the story in general. No offense to those who love it- we all have our own ideas of what's good.

Rebellion During the Dark Age has its flaws, but I had quite a bit of fun playing it (barring one or two scenarios). I thought the fights were a bit unusual, but interesting in that they tended to be a lot of my units against a few high level enemies. Of course, I'm a bit biased, since I'm currently helping write its sequel. :wink:

Oh well.

Invasion from the Unknown (3) (-1)
Sceptre of Life (5)
Bad Moon Rising (5)
Story of the Wose (5)
Wesband (4)
World Conquest (5)
Rebellion During The Dark Age (6) (+1)
Fiery Menace (5)
Count Kromire (5)
Dead Water (5)
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf

Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn » September 5th, 2009, 2:47 am

Invasion from the Unknown (4) (+1)
Sceptre of Life (5)
Bad Moon Rising (5)
Story of the Wose (5)
Wesband (3) (-1)
World Conquest (5)
Rebellion During The Dark Age (6)
Fiery Menace (5)
Count Kromire (5)
Dead Water (5)

For clarification: Wesband can be played single player (that's how I played it), and I think World Conquest can too.

Opinion: My main issue with Wesband when I played it is that it's too easy when I played it (well, past the first area where I died twice, it was too easy). For that reason, I'll have to -1 Wesband. If it were to be made significantly harder and more fun, I'd love it. (Great concept.)

EDIT: As for IftU, my impression of people's impressions of it is that you love it or you hate it when you play it. That being said, it's the top of the list in downloads and it is very well done. It definitely doesn't deserve to go first. Personally, I liked IftU, but I never finished it (length: the bane of most good campaigns). I tend to play single player SVN, and I'd always hit a bug eventually. (Not going to hold it against IftU, that's what happens when you play an SVN version of a campaign on the SVN trunk of Wesnoth.) Maybe one day (winter break?) I'll play a stable IftU just to finish it.

Also, Shaxthals ftw. </Thunderstone bias>
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)

JW

Post by JW » September 5th, 2009, 3:39 am

Sceptre of Life (5)
Bad Moon Rising (5)
Story of the Wose (4) (-1)
Wesband (3)
World Conquest (5)
Fiery Menace (5)
Count Kromire (6) (+1)
Dead Water (5)

It was a tough choice between Kromire and WC for me. I'll probably be adding to both over the thread. I didn't know who to take away from, so I went for the worst title.

AI
Developer

Post by AI » September 5th, 2009, 8:25 pm

Invasion from the Unknown (5) (+1)
Sceptre of Life (5)
Bad Moon Rising (5)
Story of the Wose (4)
Wesband (2) (-1)
World Conquest (5)
Fiery Menace (5)
Count Kromire (6)
Dead Water (5)

Haven't actually played a lot of them. Taking away points from wesband simply because it's not weshack. ;)

shadowm
Site Administrator

Post by shadowm » September 5th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Aethaeryn wrote:I tend to play single player SVN, and I'd always hit a bug eventually. (Not going to hold it against IftU, that's what happens when you play an SVN version of a campaign on the SVN trunk of Wesnoth.)
I tend to use in IftU whatever I or some other dev has just implemented in mainline trunk, which of course means IftU for development versions of Wesnoth becomes some sort of bug testing arena, specially if we talk about the very SVN trunk version of IftU (e.g. from wesnoth-umc-dev's trunk).

This was especially frustrating when preparing the first officially 1.5.x-compatible release of IftU last year, but at least it was good for mainline and other User Made Content using such features.
Last edited by shadowm on September 5th, 2009, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.

JW

Post by JW » September 5th, 2009, 9:02 pm

Invasion from the Unknown (5)
Sceptre of Life (5)
Bad Moon Rising (5)
Story of the Wose (3) (-1)
Wesband (2)
World Conquest (6) (+1)
Fiery Menace (5)
Count Kromire (6)
Dead Water (5)

Zarel

Post by Zarel » September 5th, 2009, 11:40 pm

Aethaeryn wrote:EDIT: As for IftU, my impression of people's impressions of it is that you love it or you hate it when you play it. That being said, it's the top of the list in downloads and it is very well done. It definitely doesn't deserve to go first. Personally, I liked IftU, but I never finished it (length: the bane of most good campaigns). I tend to play single player SVN, and I'd always hit a bug eventually. (Not going to hold it against IftU, that's what happens when you play an SVN version of a campaign on the SVN trunk of Wesnoth.) Maybe one day (winter break?) I'll play a stable IftU just to finish it.

Also, Shaxthals ftw. </Thunderstone bias>
By the way, the part most people dislike about IftU is its later parts. There's just something really stupid about going through dungeon level after dungeon level when you're not trolls or dwarves, and every single dungeon level feels exactly the same. Tons and tons of Shaxthal drones, constantly spawning everywhere - there isn't even any leader you can kill to stop them. Lots of mechanical enemies with high arcane, blade, and pierce resistance. Your best choice against them is fire, but your only unit that does fire damage is low damage and lawful (which means it's pretty weak in an unlit dungeon, which is the entire second half of Part II). Most enemies are mechanical and biomechanical, which makes your drain units pretty fragile, at that.

And the boss units are ridiculous. High damage melee drain attack, high damage ranged magical attack, 190 HP, and when you kill it, it gets healed to full HP and you have to kill it again before it's really dead. And that's not even the final boss, that's just another boss you meet several times. The final boss has 315 HP, and also gets autohealed the first time you kill him.

I'm not sure if the constantly respawning Shaxthals are worse, though. For most of the second half of Part II, Shaxthals constantly spawn in fixed locations everywhere on the map. Some of them (like Wyrm) have a strange movement algorithm that lets them go through Impassable tiles, further reinforcing that nowhere is safe. You can't retreat weakened units behind you very easily, since there are Shaxthals there too. And since the levels are huge, you really need to stop and heal a lot, and the Shaxthals are always there, constantly sapping your HP, without even the decency not to be biomechanical so your drain units can at least get some healing in. Most of them have fairly strong melee and ranged attacks, so you can't avoid having your HP slowly sapped away; some have more annoying attacks like poison attacks. Oh, and since it's the second half of Part II, you can't recruit new units anymore.

I dunno. You really have to play it to understand what it's like.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.

Aethaeryn
Translator

Re: Hurt and Heal: UMC Campaigns

Post by Aethaeryn » September 6th, 2009, 2:18 am

That actually sounds like an interesting challenge, though I do admit I never got to that part in Part II. I'm going to have to put IftU in the lead. (Tbh, I never minded the don't-recruit-new-units thing at the end of Sceptre of Fire when it was there; I think breaks the continuity of the story that every single scenario functions the same way. One man's definition of frustration is another one's of variety.)

Invasion from the Unknown (6) (+1)
Sceptre of Life (5)
Bad Moon Rising (5)
Story of the Wose (3)
Wesband (2)
World Conquest (6)
Rebellion During The Dark Age (5) (-1)
Fiery Menace (5)
Count Kromire (6)
Dead Water (5)
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)

Zarel

Post by Zarel » September 6th, 2009, 2:32 am

Aethaeryn wrote:That actually sounds like an interesting challenge, though I do admit I never got to that part in Part II. I'm going to have to put IftU in the lead. (Tbh, I never minded the don't-recruit-new-units thing at the end of Sceptre of Fire when it was there; I think breaks the continuity of the story that every single scenario functions the same way. One man's definition of frustration is another one's of variety.)
Well, yeah, that's because it was only for one mission in SoF.

Imagine it for a period of time that seemed as long as your average mainline campaign.

Plus, in SoF, you were dwarves in a cave. And you really only got attacked by a few orcs and a few trolls in that time period. Maybe a few bats, too, in the previous campaign.
Last edited by Zarel on September 6th, 2009, 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.

Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn » September 6th, 2009, 2:34 am

Zarel wrote:
Aethaeryn wrote:That actually sounds like an interesting challenge, though I do admit I never got to that part in Part II. I'm going to have to put IftU in the lead. (Tbh, I never minded the don't-recruit-new-units thing at the end of Sceptre of Fire when it was there; I think breaks the continuity of the story that every single scenario functions the same way. One man's definition of frustration is another one's of variety.)
Well, yeah, that's because it was only for one mission in SoF.

Imagine it for a period of time that seemed as long as your average mainline campaign.
It was two or three missions in SoF, iirc. The whole time in the cave (including while in the entrance, when you see the dragon). I think they changed it sometime after I played in the 1.3 branch, though. Personally, I enjoyed it the old way.

Tbh, I can only judge IftU based on the part I played. I still don't think it deserves to die first. Points for breaking from the mainline formula a bit. Single player campaigns don't do it enough.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)

Exasperation

Post by Exasperation » September 6th, 2009, 2:38 am

Sceptre of Life (5)
Bad Moon Rising (5)
Story of the Wose (3)
Wesband (2)
World Conquest (6)
Fiery Menace (5)
Count Kromire (6)