randomly choose map

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

wesfreak

randomly choose map

Post by wesfreak »

would it be possible to make something that randomly chooses a map from the default map list? for those that don't really care which map they play.
Kalajel

Re: randomly choose map

Post by Kalajel »

Well, there's already the random maps…
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

but unless you get really really lucky, the random map won't be nearly as balanced as any of the default maps.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Orin

Post by Orin »

Someone could probably do whatever they do to generate random maps, except it only generates one of the default 1v1 maps. Don't know how to do it though.
My motto: "Never trust anything on 70% defense"
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

I think the main problem is that there are mops for 2 players, 3 players, 4 players, etc… so you'd have to do a program which would choose a map based on the number of players. Then, there's also eras; some maps are designed to be played with one particualr era… There's also the add-ons… So basically, I don't think it would be possible…
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

Actually, I think it could be done with WML probably.

The idea would be to make a multiplayer scenario, which ends inmediately, runs some code to randomize which scenario to go to next (using the same system used for campaigns and such).

This way the list of random maps would be inside the config file of the scenario. This means there could be multiple "random" scenarios for each case:
  • 2p - Random
  • 3p - Random
It is possible to make multiplayer campaigns with several scenarios, right?
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Yoyobuae wrote:The idea would be to make a multiplayer scenario, which ends inmediately, runs some code to randomize which scenario to go to next (using the same system used for campaigns and such)
You can make multiple scenarios for a MP campaign, however there's no reason why you couldn't just mask whole maps over your current map and change the starting positions of the players.
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

Hmm, I though about that at first. But I didn't find a way to load the map file then.

Now I notice that the map file loading in regular scenarios is a simple macro expansion. I completely missed that. :lol2:

I see what you mean with terrain mask. Yeah, it's much better that way. I'll give it a try later.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

For a pure map data change there is also [replace_map]. I think advancing to the right scenario is nicer though since it gives you the full scenario with items and whatnot.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Soliton wrote:For a pure map data change there is also [replace_map]. I think advancing to the right scenario is nicer though since it gives you the full scenario with items and whatnot.
This is a good point. It's probably easier this way anyway.
Oliphant

Post by Oliphant »

Um, just put the mouse on the scrollbar in the map window, left click and close your eyes. Now, move the mouse up and down and let go of the mouse button. Still with your eyes closed, move the mouse slightly to the left. Open your eyes and you will discover the mouse pointer hovering over a random map. This is your random map, the one chosen for you by fate!! Enjoy.
-- * ;) Grey as a mouse, Big as a house ;) * --
"I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV"
Orin

Post by Orin »

Or map every map to a number, then go to
http://www.random.org/integers/
My motto: "Never trust anything on 70% defense"
grrr

Post by grrr »

wesfreak wrote:would it be possible to make something that randomly chooses a map from the default map list? for those that don't really care which map they play.
Done, at least for 1v1: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 64#p376964